Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Reality of today's photography market

markedman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Reality of today's photography market

cgardner makes some key points.The biggest potential market is families. No matter where you are based. Children will be born and people will get married.
But you need the right temperament (not me) to shoot it. Getting the desired compensation is the biggest challange. Because it is the biggest potential market many photographers chase it. Making it very competitive especially in price.
But if you can find some growing families there will be constant potential work.
Just a matter of compensation.
This kind of work is not glamourous like shooting models or print ads. But it can be steady.
Over the years I have had so many conversations with freelance photographers ( NY area) who have a very narrow view of work potential. 10 years ago it was: "I will never go digital". Now I hear: "I only work indoors" , "I don't photograph animals"or "I don't take out my camera for less than $500..I wish them well if they are working.
But I wonder . Are you a starving artist or a working photographer?
I would rather shoot something I am not familiar with for modest compensation. Than nothing at all. I know I will learn something and possibly make some new contacts.
The more experience you get makes you more valuable . It could be the deciding factor in getting the next gig.
Bottom line is that you need to go where the opportunity is. Broaden your focus and avoid following the herd. Plus you need business skill. Talent is great. But not the only factor. That's why musicians/actors have agents. More than half your time will be spent not taking photos.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:18 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password