Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Recharagble AA's

dhlewis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recharagble AA's

Recommendations on the best brand and m/ah size to use in a external battery pack. Thank You

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:16 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recharagble AA's

I think Eneloop is always a good choice. You'll probably hear that from a lot of people. They're solid.

brad

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recharagble AA's

I use Pearstone rechargeables from B&H. no problems at all.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:44 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recharagble AA's

I really think it is more about the charger than the brand of batteries. Invest in a good charger. I use Enloopes and Kodak because they were on sale at Walmart a few months ago. Seem to be equal. Enloope has a new battery out with more power you should look at. Might be under name Eneloop XX.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:29 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recharagble AA's

Eneloops last forever. I use the Powerex Maha MH-C9000 for charging.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:30 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recharagble AA's

I honestly use two cheap one-hour (maybe less) chargers and they have served me well over the years. Any tradeoff of shorter overall usable life of the battery (which I haven't noticed personally) is easily made up for in day-to-day usage by the quick charging.

brad

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recharagble AA's

The latest Eneloops have increased their capacity, but they seem kind of expensive. I have had great luck with the Maha Imedion low discharge AA cells, and I recomend that you consider them also. Thomas Distributing is a great place to get cells and chargers, so check out their offerings of multiple brands for chargers and cells. Here is a link to their offering of the Imedion low discharge cells you should look at, and they are a lot less money than the Eneloops for about the same performance.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/16-Pack-Maha-Imedion-2400-AA-Low-Discharge-Batteries_p_2449.html

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recharagble AA's

Will Crockett recently did a review of rechargeable batteries for use in photography. Interesting conclusions. Unfortunately it's a 15 min video. Here's the link - http://www.discovermirrorless.com/hybrid-photography/real-life-review-rechargeable-batteries-for-photographers/

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recharagble AA's

Ni-MH lose about 1% of charge a day in storage. Eneloop don't.

The key to max performance with any rechargeable battery is a good conditioning charger which charges / monitors each cell individually. Often one cell in a set of 4 will fail, and that type of charger will isolate / identify the failing cells.

LaCrosse and MAHA both make good units. I have 4 and 8 cell MAHA chargers. The 8 cell charger has a reconditioning mode which deep cycles the batteries, something that improves performance if you typically don't fully deplete the batteries during shooting.

EDIT: The PowerEX charger shown in the B&H link below is identical to the one I have. PowerEX brand is made by MAHA.

Edited on Jan 12, 2013 at 03:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recharagble AA's

I bought a powerex, from B&H and it came with batteries included as part of a special. Great deal, keep your eyes open for it again. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883786-REG/Powerex_MH_C801D_8_Cell_1_Hour_Charger.html

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recharagble AA's

Thank You everyone, I will now pay closer attention to chargers as well as the batteries.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recharagble AA's

I and several others prefer the Sanyo rechargeables because they do not drain as fast in the bag when not in use they however are not the as that give the most pops per set of fresh batteries.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recharagble AA's

I use eight SB-28 flash, and trigger them with CyberSync triggers (I own 10 of these.) That's 52 AA batteries if you do the math. I've been buying the Ray-o-Vac "precharged" NiMH batteries (green color) from Walmart for a good price. They are the same low discharge type as eneloops. I've used the RayVacs and eneloops side by side in my flash out in the field, and they work the same. I would not pay extra for Eneloop. I do use a "smart" charger--the Maha eight cell. It has a "soft charge" function that is gentle on the batteries. If you are a big user of batteries, the smart chargers like LaCrosse or Maha are definitely worth the money. And, I'll keep buying the Ray-o-Vac precharged NiMH batteries from Walmart.

Kent in SD

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:33 AM
knower
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recharagble AA's

I only use Sanyo Eneloop batteries.
They are just great.

Now the new 2500mha have even longer duration!
Use them with the Lacrosse charger.

Tried them few years ago, nothing beats them.

G.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recharagble AA's

Eneloops ~ hands down.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:12 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recharagble AA's

Energizer Lithium

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recharagble AA's

Roland W wrote:
The latest Eneloops have increased their capacity, but they seem kind of expensive. I have had great luck with the Maha Imedion low discharge AA cells, and I recomend that you consider them also. Thomas Distributing is a great place to get cells and chargers, so check out their offerings of multiple brands for chargers and cells. Here is a link to their offering of the Imedion low discharge cells you should look at, and they are a lot less money than the Eneloops for about the same performance.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/16-Pack-Maha-Imedion-2400-AA-Low-Discharge-Batteries_p_2449.html

Depends on where you purchase them. Costco Warehouses typically will have a 10 pack of regular eneloop AA batteries for $19.99. You can sometimes find them with an instant rebate which will bring the price down to $15-18 for the 10 pack. I realize that not everyone has a Costco around them (or a Costco membership). But their prices are lower than the store you linked to.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:39 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recharagble AA's

DigMeTX wrote:
I think Eneloop is always a good choice. You'll probably hear that from a lot of people. They're solid.

brad

+1

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:58 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recharagble AA's

Maha Powerex 2700 Mah batteries. Charge the day before and I can shoot an entire wedding (8+ hours) on 2 sets without any slow flash recycling.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/16-Pack-MAHA-POWEREX-2700-mAh-AA-Rechargeable-Batteries-_p_1334.html

These guys have the best prices and GREAT customer service (just ordered a 4 pack of imedions by mistake, theyre exchanging for Powerex for me without restocking fee)

Do yourself a favor and get the new charger too - C9000, I just got one and it beats the pants off the older models.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C9000-Charger-brBatteries-Included-_p_1002.html

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:24 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recharagble AA's

Eneloops for me, with excellent results.

I also look for the rebate deal @ Costco.

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password