Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6
  
 
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


michael49 wrote:
Well, I just we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The OM-D has the best colors that I've ever seen out of a "small sensor" camera.

Another example..... [2 sets of images]


To my eyes the Canon images win in both cases (the colour of the dog's fur for example). But what does this prove? I have no idea about the camera settings or raw developer or the developer's settings or possible adjustements or color profiles...

In the end it probably is about what each and every user likes.

I have customs camera profiles for my E-M5, one for each lens, use Lightroom or ACR and know for certain I don't like the colours when using the Adobe standard profile. I get OK colours, more or less on par with what every other camera I have used produced (I've never used a Fuji or Sigma camera).



Jan 12, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


chez wrote:
Makten, why don't you post up some real photos that show this blow away colour with the NEX that cannot be achieved with the Olympus. I just don't see it...maybe some examples rather than words would be better.


I haven't said anything about NEX "blow away colors". I only said I liked it better, and if none of you see what I don't like with the OM-D images, you won't see what I liked with the NEX for sure.


bobbytan wrote:
Zeiss color and micro-contrast may be marginally better than Zuiko glass, and Leica glass is definitely better than Zeiss glass (you get what you pay for, right?) ... but we are now talking about the glass and not about the sensor. You can stick any lens on the OM-D if you have a preference for a color palette from a particular brand ... be it Leica, Voigtlander (my personal choice/preference), Zeiss, Canon or Nikon. You don't have to stick with 43 lenses. The most expensive 43 Zuiko prime lens cost less than $1,000. How much is Leica and Voigtlander and
...Show more

I've tried some expensive Leica and Zeiss glass on the OM-D. It didn't do anything with the colors, I just got worse sharpness than with the 12/2 and 25/1.4, which was expected.


michael49 wrote:
Another example.....


I don't like the 6D shots either, so it's probably more about your PP.



Jan 12, 2013 at 03:14 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


It all comes down to our personal tastes and preferences and what we are comfortable with. I do prefer the color from Leica, Voigtlander and Zeiss glass ... but I personally do not think it's worth paying those ludicrous prices when you don't even get AF ... and Olympus, Canon and Nikon glass are all perfectly good to me. What's more important to me are size/weight, AF accuracy and image stabilization, in that order. The OM-D offers me all of that and then some. Sensor size is important to me too but size and weight matters even more (to me) and the smaller OM-D sensor is practically as good as any 16mp APS-C sensor. And we mustn't forget the line/range of really good 43 lenses from Olympus, Panasonic-Leica and Voigtlander ... and Schneider lenses will hit the market later this year.


Jan 12, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


OM-D and 5DMK2 colors can be probably matched as CFA quality is very close to each other. Which is sorta telling bit about both..

NEX-5N with good color profile should be better. Problem is usually that color profile..

And 6D.. nah I wont start this.



Jan 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Dawud
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


michael49 wrote:
One of the major reasons I dumped my NEX 5N for the OM-D was due to the colors, the Olympus was clearly superior to the 5N in this regard, at least to my eyes. The last reason I can imagine anyone dumping the OM-D is due to file colors.

The OM-D jpeg's colors are excellent, as are the RAW's....

Here's my now sold Canon 5D II with the Canon 40 2.8 vs the OM-D with the 20 1.7...(I've always loved Canon FF camera colors and they are still my favorite, but the OM-D can match it in many circumstances)....


True!

Because we wanted a smaller kit, me and my girlfriend bought a mirrorless camera. I still have my Canon 550D (coming from a 5D) and she sold her Sony Alpha 35. I bought the Nex 5N + 18-55mm + 16mm and she the Olympus OM-D + 20mm F1.7.

I really love the size and feel of the Next, but from the start I dislike it's colors. Especially indoors, the AWB is just awfull and in standard mode the saturation of some colors is just to high. You can change it in postprocessing, but I don't like doing that. With my canon's I was a JPG only guy, now I shoot raw with the Nex.

The colors of the OM-D are (for me) more pleasing to the eye and more accurately. the AWB is also a lot better. I really like the colors of the OM-D, but dislike the smaller sensor and the 4:3 format.

So I'm keeping my Canon and looking towards Fuji... If Canon only would make the autofocus of the EOS M faster.





Jan 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM
k0mit
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


I've owned the OM-D and the NEX-6. I really like the NEX-6, but I loved the OM-D. Here's why:
* IBIS so every lens is stabilized.
* Better selection of Better lenses.
* Better handling IMO.
* Much better implementation of wireless flash.
* IQ is so close that if you have to "pixel peep" to see the difference it doesn't matter.
* Quicker AF than even the PDAF on the NEX-6
* I actually preferred the EVF in low light on the OM-D (less visible noise)



Jan 13, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Sam Waldron
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Hmmm, coming from the 5N (Which technically has a marginally higher performing sensor than the NEX6) to the OMD, I'm not losing anything.

The 'look' of the files is nigh on the same when I apply my standard Lightroom processing, unless of course you are talking about jpegs?

On paper, the EM5 gives up 1/3 stop to the 5N, although you would never know it with the ridiculous IBIS and fast, sharp native AF lenses which deliver the goods wide open.

NEX is a great platform for legacy lenses though and is looking good with the likes of the 10-18, 35 1.8 and upcoming 85 1.8 for native glass.

There simply isn't a significant (aside form 2/3 stop less DOF and the aspect ratio) difference at all between them and the latest M43 sensors though if you are shooting and processing correctly.



Jan 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM
JonasY
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Same here, can't stand the colors from the OM-D. I was seriously considering buying one myself (literally held my cursor over the buy-button) but there is something wrong with the output which I cannot explain technically that eventually put me off. Just look at the monkey shot a page or two back in this thread, that should by all means be a school book example of an excellent shot, the framing is perfect, has a properly chosen DOF and is razor sharp. Still the picture looks completely dead, there is something missing from it that makes it look unnatural.

I envy those of you that don't see this, because the OM-D seems to be a very neat camera otherwise, with excellent lenses. But I am very picky and I wouldn't be satisfied with the system native lenses for Nex either.

Must be a Swedish syndrome.



Jan 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Seriously? You pick ONE example and you come to the conclusion that OM-D images look dead and unnatural ... w/o giving any regard to the lighting conditions and other circumstances and reasons as to why that image might look somewhat "dead"? FYI, the lighting was really flat ... baby monkeys don't have a strong color on their faces ... and that image is a 100% crop. Here's another sample - the same flat lighting, unfortunately, but at least there is more color. Hopefully you won't think this is dead as well. Maybe I should sell my OM-D and get the NEX-6 instead .... NOT!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1172736/1#11194027

JonasY wrote:
Same here, can't stand the colors from the OM-D. I was seriously considering buying one myself (literally held my cursor over the buy-button) but there is something wrong with the output which I cannot explain technically that eventually put me off. Just look at the monkey shot a page or two back in this thread, that should by all means be a school book example of an excellent shot, the framing is perfect, has a properly chosen DOF and is razor sharp. Still the picture looks completely dead, there is something missing from it that makes it look unnatural.

I
...Show more



Jan 14, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Geoff D F
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


I find much in this thread laughable. Digital camera bodies come and go and any of them these days can give excellent results both SOOC and in PP if you take the time to learn the idiosyncracies of whatever system you are using.

I would choose a camera based on availability of lenses that interest me, speed and accuracy of AF, the availability of stabilisation, accuracy of flash metering, and the ergonomics of the camera body, in roughly that order. High ISO performance matters too, but one or two stops of high ISO performance only visible above 3200 based on one generation of cameras is not a sensible reason to choose one system over another.

The least reason to choose is basing a decision on web sized images, most likely viewed on uncalibrated monitors.

To me M4/3 has great fast and relatively affordable fast glass, and the system is an order of magnitude smaller than anything else. FF has the highest image quality but it really on becomes apparent at quite large print/viewing sizes, which I suspect most people dont actually use or need. APS-C seems to me the worst of all worlds in that there is not much a size advantage over FF while not having a significant quality advantage over M4/3.

FWIW I have an OM-D and FF and APS-C Canons. These days I shoot most M4/3 but will keep FF from those times that I need it. I am reducing my APS-C foot print as I can really see no reason to have it.



Jan 14, 2013 at 05:51 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Jeff Kott
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Geoff D F wrote:
APS-C seems to me the worst of all worlds in that there is not much a size advantage over FF while not having a significant quality advantage over M4/3.



I was kind of with you up to this statement. When I say kind of, what I mean is that the different camera systems, while all very good, do have different IQ, which may or may not be important to different users.

I find your statement about APS-C to be strange because when comparing m4/3 to NEX, one of the knocks against m4/3 we commonly hear is that you don't get any real overall system size benefit for the smaller m4/3 sensor.



Jan 14, 2013 at 06:40 AM
kewlcanon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


You need to get a Leica . You'll start winning awards.

bobbytan wrote:
Seriously? You pick ONE example and you come to the conclusion that OM-D images look dead and unnatural ... w/o giving any regard to the lighting conditions and other circumstances and reasons as to why that image might look somewhat "dead"? FYI, the lighting was really flat ... baby monkeys don't have a strong color on their faces ... and that image is a 100% crop. Here's another sample - the same flat lighting, unfortunately, but at least there is more color. Hopefully you won't think this is dead as well. Maybe I should sell my OM-D and get the
...Show more



Jan 14, 2013 at 07:34 AM
JonasY
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


bobbytan wrote:
Seriously? You pick ONE example and you come to the conclusion that OM-D images look dead and unnatural ... w/o giving any regard to the lighting conditions and other circumstances and reasons as to why that image might look somewhat "dead"? FYI, the lighting was really flat ... baby monkeys don't have a strong color on their faces ... and that image is a 100% crop. Here's another sample - the same flat lighting, unfortunately, but at least there is more color. Hopefully you won't think this is dead as well. Maybe I should sell my OM-D and get the
...Show more

I picked one example to quantify my impressions. For various reasons that picture might have been a bad choice, but it doesn't matter since my conclusion derives from examining hundreds or so of OM-D pictures over the course of time. The colors looks plastic and lacks tonality and depth, might be a choice Olympus made to smear out the colors in order to cover the noise stemming from the fact that the sensor only collects about half of the information compared to a APS-C sensor and only a forth of a FF sensor.

And like I said, if you are happy with the result good for you because camerawise I'd choose a OM-D over Nex-6 any day in the week.



Jan 14, 2013 at 07:36 AM
you2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


JonasY wrote:
The colors looks plastic and lacks tonality and depth, might be a choice Olympus made to smear out the colors in order to cover the noise stemming from the fact that the sensor only collects about half of the information compared to a APS-C sensor and only a forth of a FF sensor.

And like I said, if you are happy with the result good for you because camerawise I'd choose a OM-D over Nex-6 any day in the week.


4/3 is 1/2 of APS-C ?



Jan 14, 2013 at 01:50 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


you2 wrote:
4/3 is 1/2 of APS-C ?


No .... it's a Fourth of FF.



Jan 14, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Geoff D F wrote:
I find much in this thread laughable.


I find your post laughable. Why can't you just accept that everybody don't have the same standards as you have? Trust me, I wouldn't have sold the OM-D if I was pleased with the colors, and I don't print my images. But I have owned a bunch of cameras (not to mention lenses), and I know what I want. In this case it was really almost good enough, but not quite there.

I think most of this discussion is because of different motifs. I'm not into landscapes so I don't care about bold colors. Instead, I want all the subtle nuances in abstract scenes, that make them look "real". Here's an example with the OM-D where there should be some subtle color shades in the metal, but there is almost none.


8181 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr


Laugh as much as you want and get the camera that suits you and your needs.



Jan 14, 2013 at 03:18 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Makten wrote:
I find your post laughable. Why can't you just accept that everybody don't have the same standards as you have? Trust me, I wouldn't have sold the OM-D if I was pleased with the colors, and I don't print my images. But I have owned a bunch of cameras (not to mention lenses), and I know what I want. In this case it was really almost good enough, but not quite there.

I think most of this discussion is because of different motifs. I'm not into landscapes so I don't care about bold colors. Instead, I want all the subtle nuances
...Show more

I get that we all have different color palette tastes, and some can discern subtle nuances better than others. But your argument of the NEX vs OM-D color would more water or be significantly more compelling if you illustrate the differences with some test shots taken with both cameras, and not just with one. It is impossible to pick 1 image from any 1 camera ... and draw conclusions from it. You have to have 2 identical images taken in identical conditions and camera/lens settings. Otherwise you are not comparing apples to apples, as different lighting conditions and exposure settings can dramatically change the color tone and appearance of an image.



Jan 14, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


bobbytan wrote:
I get that we all have different color palette tastes, and some can discern subtle nuances better than others. But your argument of the NEX vs OM-D color would more water or be significantly more compelling if you illustrate the differences with some test shots taken with both cameras, and not just with one.


Of course, but I didn't own them at the same time. Edit: Oh, actually I did, but I didn't use the NEX after buying the OM-D.

It is impossible to pick 1 image from any 1 camera ... and draw conclusions from it. You have to have 2 identical images taken in identical conditions and camera/lens settings. Otherwise you are not comparing apples to apples, as different lighting conditions and exposure settings can dramatically change the color tone and appearance of an image.


I'm actually not making comparisons here. I'm just explaning what I see and why I wasn't fully pleased with the OM-D. I could as well just stop posting anything, but I think that my experience could be interesting for others here, since I know that this community is populated with some very picky photographers.
You can see them in the RX1 thread and they are not convinced that the Sonnar draws as a Zeiss "should". I'm not sure it does either and I understand their questions, but that camera is certainly beyond my own needs, so I'm not gonna argue about it.



Jan 14, 2013 at 06:30 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


you2 wrote:
4/3 is 1/2 of APS-C ?


No:

E-M5: 17.3 x 13 mm
650D: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
NEX-6: 23.5 x 15.6 mm
D800: 35.9 x 24 mm

E-M5: 225 mm^2
650D: 332 mm^2
NEX-6: 366 mm^2
D800: 862 mm^2

Or roughly, in the same order:

1.0 : 1.48 : 1.63 : 3.83

It is not much of an exaggeration to call 4/3 or MFT a quarter of FF, but APS-C is nowhere near double the information of an MFT sensor, especially Canon's baby-APS-C, and equally, APS-C (especially etc.) is not half of FF, but more like 1/2.5.



Jan 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Geoff D F
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6


Makten wrote:
I find your post laughable. Why can't you just accept that everybody don't have the same standards as you have?

I accept people have different standards. What I can't fathom is that you believe the OMD falls below your standard but then you settle for a NEX, which to me is the same thing. FF is a clear lift in standard but it only becomes apparent at print sizes greater than 11x14.
Glass makes a much bigger differnce.

Basing choices on web displayed images is nonsense as most computer screens are display at best about 2 megapixels and what you are seeing is
...Show more



Jan 15, 2013 at 03:45 AM
1       2       3      
4
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password