Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Should we see another thread from OP later ... NEX 6 vs RX1 .

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Jman13 wrote:
I'm very confused....to me, the OM-D crop in the comparison above is head and shoulders above all the others. What are you all seeing?

Colors. There are no color in the OM-D shot, so of course there can be lower noise.

And I can't fathom how anyone here can look at those crops and prefer one of the other crops.
Nor can I, but I've owned the OM-D, NEX-5N and RX1, and these crops do not surprise me at all. This is why I didn't like the OM-D.

It's not like you couldn't up saturation or such on the OM-D image and still have it look better.
You can't get back colors that were never there. They will never look better in that respect.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I don't understand how you can see that massive chroma noise and say the color response is better. Yes, the OM-D mutes colors a little at high ISO, but it's quite easy to bring them back out below ISO 12,800 (at 16,000 and up it starts to color shift strongly).

But, as I showed with the NEX-7 and OM-D crops I took, I think there's something fishy going on with all those crops.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Jman13 wrote:
I don't understand how you can see that massive chroma noise and say the color response is better.

Look at the button. There are faint shades of color there in most of the crops. But not in the OM-D one.
Of course this is a bad image for comparing colors, but it still shows an interesting difference.

Yes, the OM-D mutes colors a little at high ISO, but it's quite easy to bring them back out below ISO 12,800 (at 16,000 and up it starts to color shift strongly).

Saturation has very little with richness to do. If you're happy with the camera, it's good for you and you shouldn't care for what I think about it. I wanted to be happy with it but I was too used to my D700, so in the end I couldn't.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

That's understandable. How are you enjoying the RX1? Images out of that look fantastic.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Makten wrote:
I often have an other opinion than everybody else, so it's no surprise. The IBIS is great, when it does what it does. But you don't know when it's gonna do. I'd say it's only useable at very slow shutter speeds, like 1/2-1/10 of a second with the 25 mm lens. Anything faster than that, it might just end up less sharp than if you didn't use it. Maybe I'm too steady, I don't know.

The colors look "plasticky" and I really can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like. But I think it's the lack of
...Show more

I am now extremely curious and would very much like to see a comparison shot between the OM-D and the NEX 6 ... taken at the same time, of course ... and particularly of this shot. Seeing how the NEX 6 colors are quite a bit warmer overall, I don't see how the NEX-6 could have several more shades or tones of green.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

When comparing these crops, however, you have to keep in mind that neither of these is actually shot at ISO 6400. Manufacturers typically label a lower ISO as ISO 6400 (and this is actually true for all labelled ISOs). Although I do very much like the OM-D that I got my partner. Olympus has been particularly egregious in its labelling of ISO. According to DXO, the measured ISO of the shot below which is labelled as 6400 is only 3024, Sony mislabels as well but not as much. The measured ISO (again according to DXO) of the labelled 6400 for the NEX-7 is 5401. So really this is a pretty unfair comparison. The NEX-7 is shot at ISO 5401 and the OM-D is shot at ISO 3024. So, it isn't really surprising that the OM-D looks quite a bit better. The NEX cameras (and there isn't really anything to talk about in difference between them) when shot at the same actual ISO (and not labelled ISO) are a bit better than the OM-D, but only about a 1/3 of a stop. Given its smaller sensor the OM-D does remarkably well. In use I find the labelled ISO of 3200 (actual ISO of 1489) to work well for even 11 X 14 prints and most web application. I find the labelled ISO of 6400 (actual ISO of 3024) to work fine for 4 X 6 and with careful processing 8 X 10 prints and web presentation. When my partner got the camera I switch auto ISO to the labelled 3200 instead of 6400, because I didn't want to loose important shots to too high an ISO. Still it does quite well and at least as well as my old Canon 50D (and DXO measurements agree with this assessment). Nevertheless, all of these cameras fall far short of full frame cameras in this regard. Full frame has a stop to 2/3 of a stop advantage over any of the smaller sensors in high ISO when you look at actual measured ISO.

Jman13 wrote:
In fact, here's my comparison shots that I did in dim lighting between the two cameras when I had the NEX-7. The color is more accurate here in the OM-D image, as the thread was really that color maroon. They are similar per pixel, though the OM-D seems to resolve a little more of the thread. The funky pattern in the lower left is the wood grain of the table, BTW, not some odd noise patterning.

NEX-7 @ ISO 6400:
http://jordansteele.com/2013/nex6400.jpg

OM-D @ ISO 6400:
http://jordansteele.com/2013/omd6400.jpg

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

DxO also measures ISO by examining full well saturation and that's it. Different manufacturers calibrate well saturation differently. (for instance, Sony might assign 85% saturation to be 255,255,255, while Olympus might assign 70% saturation to be 255,255,255. The final image when viewed in a JPEG or int he RAW converter will have the same tonality, even though by DxO's measurement, one is significantly over-rated in the ISO. I noted the NEX to be about 1/3 stop more sensitive when comparing actual exposure values in the final image. Not a huge difference.

Edited on Jan 11, 2013 at 07:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:53 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

native sensor aspect ratio is one of the biggest issues i have with M4/3. The OM-D is an awesome camera, and it does some things VERY well, but preferring 3:2 over 4:3, combined with the "look" that OM-D files have, just kept me from falling in love with it.
I have a 6D now, and I'm much happier with it, but I'm starting to consider a NEX (prob the 6) as my next mirrorless.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

^^ It's really funny with regards to the aspect ratio. I very much preferred 3:2 for a long time, and it's one of the reasons I really liked my GH2...I could shoot 3:2 native. When I switched from the GH2 to the OM-D, I really thought that was one thing I'd really miss. And I did...for about two months. Then, slowly, I started to adjust how I composed for the 4:3 aspect ratio, and became quite used to it. Now, I think 3:2 often looks too narrow (though I will still crop to 3:2 for about 10-15% of my images when the composition works better for it).

I think it's more a matter of what you're used to. I'm sure if I shot 4x5, 6x7 or 1x1 for a while I'd also feel very strange, but that would probably start to become natural after a while too.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Steve Spencer wrote:
So really this is a pretty unfair comparison. The NEX-7 is shot at ISO 5401 and the OM-D is shot at ISO 3024. So, it isn't really surprising that the OM-D looks quite a bit better.

I don't know, it isn't like Jordan increased the light between shots or anything, so I think these shots are indicative of what the respective cameras can do under identical conditions.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Carsten (and all) - you are seeing the 1/3 stop actual difference in ISO between them. If you check the EXIF, you'll see the Olympus is actually at 1/25s vs 1/20s on the NEX, or 1/3 stop faster shutter speed. However, the NEX shot was stopped down 2/3 stop more to try and equalize depth of field. So, 1/3 stop advantage to the NEX.

Of course, in many instances, the IBIS in the OM-D will give a far greater advantage for high ISO shooting than the 1/3 stop extra sensitivity of the NEX. (Had these been handheld instead of tripod mounted, I could have shot at ISO 3200 on the OM-D, but would have needed to go to ISO 16,000 on the NEX, and even there, it'd be iffy. (Approx 85mm FOV if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I took these tests, so a lot of the process/setup has been forgotten).

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Jman13 wrote:
I think it's more a matter of what you're used to. I'm sure if I shot 4x5, 6x7 or 1x1 for a while I'd also feel very strange, but that would probably start to become natural after a while too.

My experience with my GF-1 was that I never got used to the 4:3 aspect ratio, which is one reason I'm using NEX instead of m4/3.

I understand that others may feel the opposite or not care at all and just get used to whatever they're working with. But I do think aspect ratio is something people should think carefully about in deciding between m4/3 and NEX or Fuji X.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

If you are familiar medium format cameras getting used to the 4:3 aspect ratio should be easy. All my life I have only shot with 35mm ... so quite frankly I am still struggling to get used to the 4:3 format - but it's not a biggie or deal breaker for me as I am very fond of cropping my images to various aspect ratios ... 4:3, 3:2, 2:1, 3:1 and 1:1 depending on the capture/image.

Jeff Kott wrote:
My experience with my GF-1 was that I never got used to the 4:3 aspect ratio, which is one reason I'm using NEX instead of m4/3.

I understand that others may feel the opposite or not care at all and just get used to whatever they're working with. But I do think aspect ratio is something people should think carefully about in deciding between m4/3 and NEX or Fuji X.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

bobbytan wrote:
If you are familiar medium format cameras getting used to the 4:3 aspect ratio should be easy. All my life I have only shot with 35mm ... so quite frankly I am still struggling to get used to the 4:3 format - but it's not a biggie or deal breaker for me as I am very fond of cropping my images to various aspect ratios ... 4:3, 3:2, 2:1, 3:1 and 1:1 depending on the capture.

After you crop the m4/3 image to 3:2, you're dealing with a lot fewer pixels than with a native 3:2 APS-C sensor. If someone is going to be doing that crop a lot, I would recommend the NEX or Fuji over m4/3.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Jeff Kott wrote:
After you crop the m4/3 image to 3:2, you're dealing with a lot fewer pixels than with a native 3:2 APS-C sensor. If someone is going to be doing that crop a lot, I would recommend the NEX or Fuji over m4/3.

That doesn't bother me at all, as I don't sell my images. I love the DSLR feel and look of the OM-D and the 43 prime lenses are simply incredible. I am just waiting for Olympus to release their pro/hybrid version this year. No Sony or Fuji for me. Here's a 100% crop of a horizontal shot. It's good enough for me.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

bobbytan wrote:
That doesn't bother me at all, as I don't sell my images. I love the DSLR feel and look of the OM-D and the 43 prime lenses are simply incredible.

I know from reading your posts that you love your OM-D.

I think it's great that you've found a camera and lenses that feel really right to you.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Jeff Kott wrote:
I know from reading your posts that you love your OM-D.

I think it's great that you've found a camera and lenses that feel really right to you.

Just to be clear, I have a love-hate relationship with the OM-D. Although I love the DSLR feel and look, I hate the tiny/fiddly buttons and I hate the menu/navigation system. So I am not smitten by the OM-D and I am hoping there will be a pro version with the ergonomics of the GH-3 which is even more DSLR-like. But the GH-3 is not for me either as the lack of IBIS is a deal breaker for me.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

kewlcanon wrote:
Should we see another thread from OP later ... NEX 6 vs RX1 .

You might if Sony ever comes out with an RX1 w/interchangeable lenses .

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Another factor for me is the difference between RAW vs JPEG on the OM-D is insignificant. When I first got my OM-D and shot JPG's, I was impressed by the SOOC images and couldn't wait for RAW files to be supported. But once RAW files were supported, I saw nominal improvements. Olympus cameras typically shoot JPGs very well, but I was not too impress with the RAW files.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:01 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password