Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

The Canon 85L is a prime with this much purple fringing. And it costs a lot more that $1200. PF is one flaw in this lens, but it doesn't show up all that often.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.2 #2 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

I agree with Jordon - fringing occurs infrequently with this lens - unfortunately I can't predict when 'tho. But seldom does it show up in a 12x22 print (the largest I make) even without correction, and the grey "residue" of correction would really be difficult to see in a print even in the worst case. More likely, in fact to see some artifact of the correction somewhere unexpected (and that is my biggest complaint about fringing/correction.) Hey, I pixel peep too, but I try to put this stuff in perspective...

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
you2
• • •
p.2 #3 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

Bit confused by this thread. The op states the 12-35 has PF. He shows an example. I presume he is asking if this is normal. Everyone agrees it is normal (for the situation his shot was taken). Beyond that it is up to each individual to decide if it is acceptable. Not much to debate. Lots of cheaper (and more expensive) lenses have more PF. Btw I would not compare a pre digital lens (85L) with a modern design (post digital) lens and I don't think such a comparison is needed as there are new expenses lenses with more PF.
-
What I can say (myself) is I don't particularly like PF; I do not find the provided sample image offensive (even though it has some PF) and only the OP can decide if the lens is acceptable (for him) given the conclusion that this is normal for that lens.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogul
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

Sometimes you can get PF if the lens is not spot on with AF. I have a couple lens (older) that I thought would be unusable, but with micro-adjusting, the PF cleaned up nicely.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

Jman13 wrote:
Yes...the Panny 14-45 is definitely sharper than the 12-50. The 12-50 is very nice because the macro mode is definitely decent (not going to compete with the Oly 60, but it certainly is good enough for casual macro work), and because it has a great range in a weathersealed body. It's built better than the 14-45, which feels very cheep, but the 14-45 is frankly the best kit zoom ever made, IMO. It compares favorably with high end zooms in pure optical quality, IMO, but it's slow and built cheaply. I don't tend to use standard zooms very often, so
...Show more

Which model Panny 14-45. I remember reading that it needed to be an early model as the newer versions were not as good.

If I could find a zoom much better than the OM-D's 14-42 that didn't cost $1K, then I'd just grab the 17 f/1.8 and maybe 25 f/1.4, as I already have the 45 f/1.8. But It would be nice to have something wider than 14mm.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35.

There's only one version of the 14-45. There are two of the not as good 14-42.

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password