Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

+10 to a properly fitted non-photo pack. For this, I'd take my 55L Gregory with a Mountainsmith Kit Cube in the top.

I also agree that this is WAY too much photo gear for a backpacking trip. Heck, it's too much for an ambitious day hike. This is why I got the NEX-7, though the D600 is definitely an improvement on earlier heavier FX Nikons.

Here's what I'd take if I wanted to have an SLR:

D600
16-35VR (in your case, the 14-24, but keep in mind that it's a tank)
35/2 or 50/1.8G
85/1.8G or 105/2.5 AIS
70-300VR/VC Nikon or Tamron

That's still a lot, and there will still be some hard choices. Particularly if I were to take the 50/1.8G, I'd probably drop the short tele prime. There's absolutely no way, though, that I would carry the 70-200/2.8 or the 24-70/2.8. Way too much weight and bulk.

Sounds like a great trip -- have fun!

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:28 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

As well, at least for me, using the Cotton Carrier chest mounting camera carrier has been a godsend when scrambling, crossing over water, blouldering, you name it. Comes a rainstorm, it's out with a ThinkTank pouch, and I'm good to go. There may be other systems as well; I just have the Cotton Carrier and I swear by it. While my OM-D is really light, that I can mount it on the CC rig is sure convenient and protective.

HTH, tony

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:13 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

if it were me, i would buy a 28-300vr and bring that along with the 14-24 and call it a day. you will have enough stuff to lug around without bringing a ton of glass as well. i would also urge you to be thoughtful around how you are going to carry this gear...

when my wife and i did a 5 day backcountry hike in yosemite i tried a lot of carrying options and settled on the following....i got a holster to carry my slr with primary lens (28-300) attached, and strapped it onto my chest via the shoulder straps of the backpack i was wearing. i kept the wide angle somewhere handy in a side pouch of some sort. the key was that for most shots i could just take the camera out of the holster without taking off the pack..heck, without even losing a step. this made an enormous difference in my enjoyment and use of the gear. i didn't waste anyone's time and rarely had to go to get a lens. other people with dslr's were jealous of my setup.

we may go back this summer, and if so i will do the exact same thing...only take one extra lens and strap the camera onto my chest for easy access.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgardner
• •
p.2 #4 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

what holster do you use?

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

now that i have gone to big full frame pro bodies i use the thinktank holster 40. it is big enough for the body and a moderate size lens (ie, 28-300 or 14-24) attached. i have the thinktank straps that connect to any backpack's shoulder straps, and i rigged some bungie cords on the bottom of the holster to keep it close to my body and not moving around. when i had my d300 i had my 17-55 attached and used a smaller holster, probably the 20. there are other holsters, i'm just partial to thinktank and like their attachment straps. it looks stupid but it keeps your weight balanced and you have instentanious access to your camera. i literally kept the camera strap around my neck and the top of the holster on but unzipped. literally all i had to do was to grab the body and bring it up to my eye and i was ready to shoot...maximum 5 seconds..worked like a charm.

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:53 PM
RRRoger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Hiking/Backpacking with DSLR's

cohenfive wrote:
there are other holsters, i'm just partial to thinktank and like their attachment straps. it looks stupid but it keeps your weight balanced and you have instentanious access to your camera. i literally kept the camera strap around my neck and the top of the holster on but unzipped. literally all i had to do was to grab the body and bring it up to my eye and i was ready to shoot...maximum 5 seconds..worked like a charm.

I have tried "other holsters" I think it was a LowePro.
Anyway it kept dumping my camera and lens out,
So I was very grateful to have a strap on it.
I now use a Black Rapid.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password