Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

From Nikon today:

"Thank you for your response. The modification to have just the axis modified is $90 +tax per lens. If you wanted to have the axis and knobs modified that would be $128+tax per lens."

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

That's not a bad price. Of course one could ask why the default setup is not to have the tilt and shift aligned in the first place.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #3 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Andre Labonte wrote:
That's not a bad price. Of course one could ask why the default setup is not to have the tilt and shift aligned in the first place.

Only Nikon knows

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.2 #4 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Just called my closest service center and they quoted me a price of 580$ US, and claimed that I needed three parts replaced on my 45mm PC-E to make it work.

I feel that price is WAY to high and after reading different things online I'm not sure if any parts are needed. Can anyone confirm that I don't need any extra parts for my 45mm PC-E? If I don't need any parts I'll just do it myself.

Best, Anton.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zichar
• • • •
p.2 #5 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Hey Anton, that won't be possible. Check out the last post by tdong here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/858560/1

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:56 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Yes. I've found other posts on competing sites discussing this issue.

There were examples of people that tried to do the 45mm pc-e on their own and the cables rubbed, then the lens stopped working.

That $580 quote from the service center sounds ridiculous. Perhaps confront them with the prices from this thread.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:09 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.2 #7 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Ok, thanks for the information. I think the price he quoted me was insane, but he had done it before for other customers and that was the price. All of the three parts cost over 100$ each and with 25% vat on top. The rest of the cost was labor.

I did ask at another service center here in Oslo, but they had never heard of the procedure and wanted me to leave them the lens and have it sent to somewhere else in Norway.
I'm pretty sure that won't be any cheaper, and I haven't had anything but bad experiences with that place, so that's a no go.

Maybe I'll have it done some other time, when my wallet is thicker. Right now I just picked up a 70-200 2.8 VR2 yesterday and I'm leaving for 3-4 months to Asia in just over a week.
I'll find somewhere else to spend that money

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated!

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:10 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #8 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

So, I sent off my 3 PC-E’s for Axis modification, along with #2 D-700.

Nothing was wrong with the 700, I just wanted it checked over by the Tech’s at Nikon CA, a 50,000 mile checkup if you will.

I had all packed by the local UPS store as I found out if something happened to the package, there would be no problem with a potential UPS claim that it wasn’t packed properly. This was something I didn’t know.

Anyway, here’s how it went:

Shipped to Nikon California: Wednesday, 3/13/13
UPS delivered to Nikon California: Tuesday, 3/19/13
D-700 Estimate Received & Approved: Friday, 3/22/2013
PC-E’s Estimate Received & Approved: Monday, 3/25/2013
Repairs/Modifications Completed Shipped Back: Wednesday, 3/27/2013

This is the second time I have used Nikon Service California in two years. The first issue with #1 D-700; it got wet and the LCD screen went nutzoid. El Sequndo fixed it quickly (total time in shop was less than 2 weeks after the estimate was approved) and looked as if it just came out of the box factory new when returned. No calls or emails to the shop were necessary.

Again, my experience this time was just as good as the first. Only one work day for camera estimate and three work days for the PC-E’s (not counting receive or day estimate received). Total time in CA = 7 working days ! Can’t beat that with a stick. And, I’m not a NPS member.

I enclosed a letter with the Service Orders clearly stating what I wished done. I also advised Nikon that I wished them to do a through inspection and fix whatever they felt needed to be fixed or replaced.

The only issue they found on the D-700 was they replaced bottom contact cover. I think this clearly shows they are not trying to do unnecessary repairs to run the bill up.

So, I might suggest that calling Nikon Service, unless there is some compelling reason to do so, only slows service down. Having to answer unnecessary questions like “how is the repair coming” slows the whole process down, for everyone.

That‘s not to say there won’t be times when some real issue (or dispute) arises and a call or email will be in order, but for routine service work, I suggest we leave the Nikon (and Canon) Tech’s to do their work and get our equipment back quickly. Their web status is updated daily.

To be clear, I’m not addressing issues like Impact Damage or other warranty issues. What I am addressing here are routine services.

And folks, when they [Nikon or Canon] do their job and you are happy with their work, may I suggest a “Thank You!” would be real nice, and I’m sure, much appreciated.

They got one from me!

For the Record; Charge each for the PC-E's: $98.00 out the door.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password