Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D4 vrs D800 on Long Lenses

colincarter46
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D4 vrs D800 on Long Lenses

im with Gary, just for the higher fps of the D4, there is no way i could go back to a low resolution camera now. The resolution available on the D800 is staggering with great glass like the 500 and 600 lenses. I dont tend to think of it as a cropping machine, but of course its great for that, but i love to try and get as close as i can and capture the bird with all that fine detail.

The D800's Af is as good as the D4, and so is the high iso to all intents and purposes. Im not sure on the absolute timings of the shutter lag etc but the D800 feels as fast as my D3 so ive no issues. Sure you might miss a few wing positions, but 6 fps is still plenty in crop mode for most types of birds except for a few with really fast wing beats. If you hone your timing skills it becomes second nature to get the shot you want and you certainly feel more satisfied at the end of the day knowing you have captured to shot you want rather than relying on the D4's frame rate and then picking your favourite from a burst of 30.

Sports Shooters, i would choose the D4 everytime, its what its made for and editors like alot of frames to choose from.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:57 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D4 vrs D800 on Long Lenses

Gary Irwin wrote:
Personally, I value the resolution of the D800 over the speed of a D4. The additional resolution provides the "reach" that is so important when shooting wild birds. If Nikon ever releases a high-speed high-resolution D4x, I'd likely be all over it. But for now, I'm quite happy with my D800 which takes my 500VR+TC14EII quite well. Shooting BIF with the slow D800 can be tough to get a good wing position, but not impossible. If I owned both the D4 and D800, I'm quite certain that the D800 would be on my lens 90% of the time...which is
...Show more

Thanks for posting. You just convinced me. D800e just ordered.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D4 vrs D800 on Long Lenses

nugeny wrote:
Thanks for posting. You just convinced me. D800e just ordered.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but don't forget that the D300's replacement (D400?) is likely not too far off, and it will likely have even more resolution for "reach" as the D800, only in a cropped sensor of course. I know some folks like Jim Pierce are (im)patiently waiting for Nikon's next DX body.

But on that note I have to say that I'm really enjoying FX. All those megapixels on FX allows me to either crop "tight" or "back off" for an environmental shot. As you know, things happen so fast in the field there's no time to decide how to shoot -- just get the shot and decide how to process in post, and the D800 allows that kind of flexibility. Of course I'd love to have more speed, but right now even if the D400 is released in time for spring migration, at this point I think I'd stick with the D800+500VR for those little warbler rascals. I'd rather have a high-resolution D4x than the D400. Sorry Jim P.!

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:56 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D4 vrs D800 on Long Lenses

Gary Irwin wrote:
I don't think you'll be disappointed, but don't forget that the D300's replacement (D400?) is likely not too far off, and it will likely have even more resolution for "reach" as the D800, only in a cropped sensor of course. I know some folks like Jim Pierce are (im)patiently waiting for Nikon's next DX body.

But on that note I have to say that I'm really enjoying FX. All those megapixels on FX allows me to either crop "tight" or "back off" for an environmental shot. As you know, things happen so fast in the field there's no time to
...Show more

I sure second your opinion about FX. I had D300, D7k. Never like them. Before flying to Kenya few months back I had the intention to get a D800e to go with my D3, but it wasn't available. So I bought a D4, that performed well but I still wanted to get more resolution for landscapes. So now I have D4 for fast shooting, wildlife and the coming d800e. the D7k and D3 were sold.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password