Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

CAlbertson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

j_ross23 wrote:
Want to expand my photography a bit more and get back to the roots of it. I decided I want to shoot film and pick up a Nikon Fm2 for that old classic feel. ...

If you have Nikon FX size autofocus lenses they will work for film. Get any of the film AF bodies. The last one I bought is the N90. It has color matrix metering and AF and it will work with manual lens. It is pretty much a Nikon D600 that takes film. Pick one up used for not a lot. The N90 also has a pop-up flash with TTL metering that is not do much different from the curent iTTL system. Fill flash is good to have

The Fm2 is not bad but the older cameras are so cheap you can afford a "pro" body. Buy an F2 or an F3. The F4 is really better but like the N90 has a modern "feel"

A good compromise bofy is the N2020. If was Nikons first AF body and it works well with both MF and AF lenses and still looks like and older body. The best part is they sell used for about $35

All that said. I just don't see the point of shooting 35mm film. If you are going to shoot film buy a medium format system. Then rather then having a nostalgic toy you can actually do things your Nikon dSLR can't

Medium format need not be expensive. Buy a Yashika mat 124G for about $250 and get quality better then any Nikon. The reason is that the size of the medum format negative is much larger than 35mm. Not only is the film grain much reduced but the tones are so much smoother.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:29 AM
tony1
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

went back to film about 6 mpnths ago never look back ,

film has soul
when you go to 35mm , the next step mediun format really nice !!!

i have a n80 nikon nice camera

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:08 PM
mrdat

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

CAlbertson wrote:
If you have Nikon FX size autofocus lenses they will work for film. Get any of the film AF bodies. The last one I bought is the N90. It has color matrix metering and AF and it will work with manual lens. It is pretty much a Nikon D600 that takes film. Pick one up used for not a lot. The N90 also has a pop-up flash with TTL metering that is not do much different from the curent iTTL system. Fill flash is good to have

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say...

Actually, the N90 can't use all AF lenses "properly". The G lenses do not have an aperture ring and can't be used in Manual or Aperture Priority modes. Also, they don't have a pop up flash. Maybe you were thinking of the F100.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:39 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

You really should try some Fujifilm Neopan Acros black and white film. It is AMAZING.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:49 PM
gconverse

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I really like that strap on the Nikon FE2. Name and where to buy?

Thanks,
G converse

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:27 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

That FE2 is so old it even has the JMDC Passed sticker on it. I have some old AIS lenses that still have the sticker. Camera makers don't subscribe to that anymore, it's become a museum instead.
I've got an FM2n that I really like. I bought it refurbished close to 15 years ago for $ 500, I think. Now they go for less than half that. It's small and fairly light. It has LEDs to show the exposure. Nice thing about it is that if your battery dies, everything still works unlike the newer cameras. It won't work with G lenses though, of course I won't either.
Plus you can drive nails with it or defend yourself against thieves.

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 11:20 AM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:13 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

DaveOls wrote:
That FE2 is so old it even has the JMDC Passed sticker on it. I have some old AIS lenses that still have the sticker. Camera makers don't subscribe to that anymore, it's become a museum instead.
I've got an FM2n that I really like. I bought it refurbished close to 15 years ago for $ 500, I think. Now they go for less than half that. It's small and fairly light. It has LEDs to show the exposure. Nice thing about it is that if your battery dies, everything still works unlike the newer cameras. Plus you can
...Show more

The FM2 is an awesome camera. Strong enough to take into a war zone. Absolutely rock solid. Embarrasses today's digital cameras.

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Mike Procanik

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I bring my Nikon N80 when we're leaf peeping during the fall in the mountains. I use a COOLSCAN V to digitize the negatives.

-mike

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

F6 are coming down in price and are really sexy

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I've owned all the F bodies except for the F4. My F6 gets more use than my D700.

If you have autofocus Nikon lenses, get your feet wet with a F100. Great camera and excellent prices for like new used ones.

If your using MF lenses, then get an F3. They've got great exposures and built like tanks. Just make sure the exposure meter is stable. Sometimes these get dropped and there is a piece under the rewind crank that gets broken and will make the meter jumpy. I learned the hard way with this buying on ebay without getting my hands on it.

Nikon F6#1 by Weasel_Loader, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sapper_6

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Do any manual focus nikon film bodies have spot metering? Also, what is the most advanced manual focus nikon film body you can buy? I don't want AF...

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:15 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

If by manual focus you mean a fully manual camera then I think the FM3a was the pinnacle of Nikon's work...they still command a hefty price. The AF cameras discussed in this thread are also manual focusing, it all depends on the lens you use. I would love to go back to film, but it's just too darn expensive to develop.

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:51 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

jsv_20 wrote:
If by manual focus you mean a fully manual camera then I think the FM3a was the pinnacle of Nikon's work...they still command a hefty price. The AF cameras discussed in this thread are also manual focusing, it all depends on the lens you use. I would love to go back to film, but it's just too darn expensive to develop.

DIY black and white. Costs virtually nothing.

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:58 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

rattymouse wrote:
DIY black and white. Costs virtually nothing.

Do tell and show me some numbers...feel free to PM me since I don't want to hijack the op's thread.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

jsv_20 wrote:
Do tell and show me some numbers...feel free to PM me since I don't want to hijack the op's thread.

PM sent.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:11 AM
frankpetronio
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Ironic that people now think FE and FM bodies are somehow superior to the F3... prices at KEH are upside down. Consider the FE/FMs the D7000 to the F3/F4 being the D4.

There are still a lot of good pro mail order labs like Edgar Praus at http://www.4photolab.com.

Aug 11, 2013 at 03:52 AM
ja_joyce
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

sapper_6 wrote:
Do any manual focus nikon film bodies have spot metering? Also, what is the most advanced manual focus nikon film body you can buy? I don't want AF...

No Nikon MF film body has spot metering. I'd say the FA is the most advanced as it has matrix metering (you can choose between matrix can center weighted) and M, A, S, and P exposure modes. Only downside is it isn't compatible with pre-AI lenses.

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:50 PM
sapper_6

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Thanks for the info Joyce. I read the F100 has the same metering module as the F5 so I think I'll go with the F100. Won't be as "classic" as full manual but ill live with the conveniences

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:05 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

sapper_6 wrote:
Thanks for the info Joyce. I read the F100 has the same metering module as the F5 so I think I'll go with the F100. Won't be as "classic" as full manual but ill live with the conveniences

If you want to go AF than the F4 gives matrix, spot and center weighed metering with AI/AIS lenses. F5/F100 is only center weighted IIRC.

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:32 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

This site is always fun to browse through:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/slrmain8090.htm

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password