Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
  

Archive 2013 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review
  
 
vertigo235
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


I really like the 60D, the only thing it lacks for me is the MA.

So far I haven't needed it though. I did try the Tamron 60mm f2, and it had horrible front focus.

I sent it back, and didn't look back. I really hope I don't have a problem with the Sigma, but the USB dock sounds like a good option if I do (assuming they ever announce when that is going to be released)



Mar 19, 2013 at 03:00 AM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


60mm f/2?! Hmmm, interesting.


Mar 19, 2013 at 05:00 AM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


I still worry about using non Canon lenses for pro wedding photography. How will it stand up to the knocks in my bag? How will they cope if it breaks and it needs fixing?

To someone who makes money from their kit, these things really matter. It's a shame because it seems like a very very good lens, buy my trust is not yet high enough to get a Sigma



Mar 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


dsilly wrote:
Wow, really?! My girlfriend's 50D has MA. Are you sure there's no MA?


No need to get alarmed. I had the 40D for ~2.5 years. No MA and never needed it. I now have the 7D (which has MA) for ~2.5 years and never used it either. All that with a variety of lenses.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


dsilly wrote:
60mm f/2?! Hmmm, interesting.


Yes, but check the AF. Mine hunted a lot. The Canon 60/2.8 is a stop slower but AF is excelent.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Here are a few shots from Sunday. After MA'ing +8, it's tack sharp. I have a feeling this lens will never be coming off of my camera!

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.



Mar 19, 2013 at 03:46 PM
vertigo235
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


I thought you were already sending it back because of an AF noise issue?


Mar 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I still worry about using non Canon lenses for pro wedding photography. How will it stand up to the knocks in my bag? How will they cope if it breaks and it needs fixing?

To someone who makes money from their kit, these things really matter. It's a shame because it seems like a very very good lens, buy my trust is not yet high enough to get a Sigma


Your loss, really. I, too, was skeptical but after reading all the raving reviews and DXO results, I had to check it out at my local camera shop. Within minutes of shooting wide open, it was undeniable that it was the sharpest lens I had ever held. Not to mention the most well-built feeling chunk of glass and steel I've ever seen. I highly recommend checking it out in person so you can see for yourself. I had to MA mine using the DOT Tune method (posted here on FM) and it worked like a charm.

vertigo235 wrote:
I thought you were already sending it back because of an AF noise issue?


Yes, my copy squeals a little but Leo's Camera is just going to do a straight swap for me. No biggie. Btw, has canon fixed the articulating screen on your 60D yet? This is exactly why I'm glad I went with the 7D over the 60D. I primarily shoot ski/snowboard stuff and was worried it was just another thing to break.



Mar 19, 2013 at 06:56 PM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Yes, optically, the lens seems to garner quite a bit positive reviews and I am not questioning the IQ that that lens can potentially can produce. And yes, it can be MFA'ed with your camera body. But it is the AF inconsistency that makes me think twice about getting this lens. I am referring to the erratic AF behavior such as needing different MFA under varying lighting conditions, and at different focusing distances. Yes, some of them may be attributed to user error but there are simply too many reports like that to be ignored/disregarded.


Mar 19, 2013 at 07:20 PM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


AGeoJO wrote:
Yes, optically, the lens seems to garner quite a bit positive reviews and I am not questioning the IQ that that lens can potentially can produce. And yes, it can be MFA'ed with your camera body. But it is the AF inconsistency that makes me think twice about getting this lens. I am referring to the erratic AF behavior such as needing different MFA under varying lighting conditions, and at different focusing distances. Yes, some of them may be attributed to user error but there are simply too many reports like that to be ignored/disregarded.


Interesting. Can you share a link to any reviews that have encountered this?



Mar 19, 2013 at 07:29 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


This is not the only thread related to this lens, BTW . There are a few others here on this particular board although they are not specific about those issues I mentioned. In general people that are happy with the lens, they are really happy but there are a few of unhappy folks. Here is the link: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180311/0?keyword=Sigma,35mm#11251694 and on the dark side's board: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180988. Just to list only two, BTW.


Mar 19, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Invertalon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


dsilly,

I went through (2) copies of this lens and had focus shift in artificial light that made very soft images. I have used the 35L and other fast primes previously on the same body and never have seen shifting like that. For whatever reason, it did not play nice with me and I returned both of them.

After that, I have seriously have had four or five people PM me and tell me they have the same issue, what to do, etc...

My focus did not shift with distance at all with either copy... Both were flawless with 0 MA on my 5D3 in normal lighting near and far. Indoors, it front focused and required +10 to be sharp. Was annoying to switch all the time.


It is quite common of an issue though. But people who don't shoot in the mixed lighting a lot may never have an issue or notice it. But since I use this lens equally indoors/outdoors, I noticed it VERY quickly. Became a hassle. Used (2) 35L's prior and never had any issue indoors, even though I *know* phase AF does change a bit with different lighting. The Sigma showed it a TON more. Too bad, though... The IQ is insane.

I think I will just wait and pay double or whatever it will be for the 35L II when and if it comes out... Spoiled by the Sigma IQ now compared to the 35L, but want reliable AF in any lighting condition... I may try once more in a few months with the Sigma from Amazon, so I can easily send it back if it still has the same issue.



Mar 19, 2013 at 07:44 PM
dsilly
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Invertalon wrote:
dsilly,

I went through (2) copies of this lens and had focus shift in artificial light that made very soft images. I have used the 35L and other fast primes previously on the same body and never have seen shifting like that. For whatever reason, it did not play nice with me and I returned both of them.

After that, I have seriously have had four or five people PM me and tell me they have the same issue, what to do, etc...

My focus did not shift with distance at all with either copy... Both were flawless with 0 MA on
...Show more

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to thoroughly test mine now. Way to freak me out. Hah! :/



Mar 19, 2013 at 07:56 PM
artd
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I still worry about using non Canon lenses for pro wedding photography. How will it stand up to the knocks in my bag? How will they cope if it breaks and it needs fixing?

To someone who makes money from their kit, these things really matter. It's a shame because it seems like a very very good lens, buy my trust is not yet high enough to get a Sigma


You should use whatever you're comfortable with, of course. I don't own this lens (yet) but I will just say that I have owned three other Sigma EX lenses and I've never had a second thought about reliability. I don't worry about "knocks in your bag" anymore than with any other lens. I've beat up my 24-70 more than I care to admit. It's been knocked around, dropped, used in the rain, on construction sites, etc. Going on 5 years now of heavy use and it still works perfectly fine.

If it needs fixing? On EX lenses you get 4 years of warranty in the U.S (3 years in the U.K. I believe). Canon's 1-year warranty looks somewhat measely by comaprision.

If this new 35mm is built anything like their other EX lenses, I personally would not lose any sleep over it somehow being more fragile than a Canon lens



Mar 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
vertigo235
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


dsilly wrote:
Yes, my copy squeals a little but Leo's Camera is just going to do a straight swap for me. No biggie. Btw, has canon fixed the articulating screen on your 60D yet? This is exactly why I'm glad I went with the 7D over the 60D. I primarily shoot ski/snowboard stuff and was worried it was just another thing to break.


Ah, Amazon.com sent me a replacement, it was over 30 days old but they had an extended holiday return period, so they overnighted me a replacement and I sent the defective one back. Awesome customer service right there.

No issues with the replacement, and I've actually used the articulating screen a lot lately.



Mar 20, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


AGeoJO wrote:
But it is the AF inconsistency that makes me think twice about getting this lens.



Meh, that's mostly biased hearsay - try it you'll love it.



Mar 20, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Lasse Eriksson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


artd wrote:
You should use whatever you're comfortable with, of course. I don't own this lens (yet) but I will just say that I have owned three other Sigma EX lenses and I've never had a second thought about reliability. I don't worry about "knocks in your bag" anymore than with any other lens. I've beat up my 24-70 more than I care to admit. It's been knocked around, dropped, used in the rain, on construction sites, etc. Going on 5 years now of heavy use and it still works perfectly fine.

If it needs fixing? On EX lenses you get 4
...Show more

The new Sigma have a better build than the other EX lenses. It looks very similar to the lenses Zeiss make for Sony.



Mar 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Snopchenko
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


My old 15-30/3.5-4.5 EX suffered a fall on to a wooden floor once, functioned well since and was sold without issues. Tokina 12-24 crashed onto granite once, and didn't miss a beat. It's the Canon 50/1.8 II that didn't take my usual rough handling well. I wouldn't worry for the Sigmas, they're not made of paper.


Mar 20, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Cadaver
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


abqnmusa wrote:
Now if Sigma would just make a 500mm F5.6


Or even a 500mm 6.3. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!



Mar 20, 2013 at 03:12 PM
vertigo235
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Lasse Eriksson wrote:
The new Sigma have a better build than the other EX lenses. It looks very similar to the lenses Zeiss make for Sony.


No joke, I just got mine and this thing feels like it was carved from a solid piece of aluminum! Incredible.

Anyhow, prelim focus tests with mine seem spot on. So far I'm impressed!



Mar 20, 2013 at 05:26 PM
1       2       3      
4
       5       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password