Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              37       38       end

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Wuwho

Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

rioni wrote:
Where is the best place to buy this right now? everyone appears to be out of stock on the Nikon mount.

I ordered my lens from Adorama on November 25....just got it today.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Makten wrote:
+1

Not even close to 100% crop, but looks good anyway.

OP: Once you rescale the crop, it's not 100% any more. You have to crop to the final pixels at once and then do nothing to the image. Just post the crop as it is. Then it will be 100% (one pixel on the sensor is one pixel on anyones screen).

As I said earlier I think I've sussed it so I'll go back and edit the 100% crops in this thread if people really want me too.

I'm not sure whether the earlier comment about the sharpening setting in camera carrying over to the RAW file I'm processing in ViewNX2 is the case or not but I'll go back and check that too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

So I've put in the original cropped size image at 100%. Whilst I realise I could crop more into these images to reduce the sizes of the pictures in the thread hopefully now these are proper representations of the images at 100% for those who like counting pixels....

If I'm still doing wrong I apologise. It's a sharp lens, really it is. Every single review of this lens on the www says exactly the same. So, if you're still a non believer then there really won't be any convincing you otherwise.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.4 #4 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these test shots. It does indeed, produce some very nice images.

With respect to your question on the camera settings for sharpening carrying over in RAW, I believe that the answer is that by default, NX2 is supposed to read and apply all of your camera settings. I assume that ViewNX2 does the same. I don't recall whether or not you can change that default behavior to a different default behavior. Regardless, that is one of the selling points of NX2 for Nikon. It's the only software, that I know of, that will actually use the camera settings as a starting place for your editing. So, if you have sharpening set to high in camera, NX will likely do the same as a starting point.

I don't think that it matters that much. You can't sharpen an OOF shot to make it look like perfection. Seems to me that even if these are sharpened, the lens did a fine job to begin with.

thanks
Kerry

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

ct8282 wrote:
So I've put in the original cropped size image at 100%. Whilst I realise I could crop more into these images to reduce the sizes of the pictures in the thread hopefully now these are proper representations of the images at 100% for those who like counting pixels....

If I'm still doing wrong I apologise. It's a sharp lens, really it is. Every single review of this lens on the www says exactly the same. So, if you're still a non believer then there really won't be any convincing you otherwise.

It's not about counting pixels, but about knowing what we are looking at. And now you've done it right, and I hope you see the huge difference between this and the previous "100% crops". It still looks really, really good.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.4 #6 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

mtakako wrote:
I brought mine from Henry also during christmas when they have the lens on sale for 899. Talked to them today and they mention that they are expecting a Jan 21 shipped date. I had mention that adencamera has this in stock now. Hopefully they will get some stock soon and shipped the len. Hate the waiting game..

I'll be visiting Henry's tomorrow to find out what's happening. I've had a preorder since last October! I will also ask for a $899 price.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Is this one of the new lenses that can use Sigma's USB tool to fine-tune the lens AF? Or, how does one know which lenses are adjustable using this tool?

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:13 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Is this one of the new lenses that can use Sigma's USB tool to fine-tune the lens AF? Or, how does one know which lenses are adjustable using this tool?

Yes, it'll have to be one of the newer releases (A)...(S)...or (C) to utilize the USB dock/software.
There are 3 so far, one lens in each category.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM
rioni
• • •
p.4 #9 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I just picked one up locally. Very impressive wide open! I'm going to test some more over the weekend but it looks like the 28 1.8G will be going up for sale.

Wuwho wrote:
I ordered my lens from Adorama on November 25....just got it today.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.4 #10 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

mtakako wrote:
I brought mine from Henry also during christmas when they have the lens on sale for 899. Talked to them today and they mention that they are expecting a Jan 21 shipped date. I had mention that adencamera has this in stock now. Hopefully they will get some stock soon and shipped the len. Hate the waiting game..

I just came back from Henry's and my lens is showing at the warehouse so I should have it on Monday.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #11 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Nice nice nice. Get some samples up people.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.4 #12 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Called B&H and still waiting

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.4 #13 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Should be getting mine soon. Shipping out today in Canada.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:57 PM
rioni
• • •
p.4 #14 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

ct8282 wrote:
Nice nice nice. Get some samples up people.

Here is a quick test shot with a d600 @ 1.4.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.4 #15 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

That's a great, really sharp shot. Any pp done?

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:18 PM
rioni
• • •
p.4 #16 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I put it through my standard imagemagick resizing and sharpening script. I'll try to get some more over the weekend.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:26 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #17 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Awesome. That's got so much 3D quality to it. Love this lens

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:39 PM
umsl12
• •
p.4 #18 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

rioni wrote:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8186/8370408309_ca49d57f39_b.jpg

Was it straight out of camera, Rioni? I'm so impressed !

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM
webmstrk9
• •
p.4 #19 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

rioni wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8186/8370408309_ca49d57f39_b.jpg

The look of an old dedicated friend.

BTW, y'all need to stop posting samples!

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.4 #20 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

That is a very cool shot, rioni. I like that a lot.
It has better subject isolation than I'd expected, a very interesting look.

ugh.... guess I'll have to start looking for one of these, which isn't going to make the minister of finance happy.... I've already purchased 3 lenses in the last month...

rioni wrote:

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password