Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13              39       40       end

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

markhout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

bemyzeke wrote:
Focus and recompose doesn't really work at f/1.4. The DOF is so thin than recompose can easily throw the target out of focus. It is not to say that there is no photography with single-point AF, or there is no photography with manual lenses, but different people, different styles, different needs.

But then, with all due respect, if 1.4 does not provide reliable AF, what is the point of purchasing a 1.4 AF lens? I am pretty sure that when a 1.4 lens is stopped down to 5.6 the IQ differences with considerably more affordable and travel-friendly (weight and bulk) 2.0 or even 2.8 lenses almost vanish.

I am preaching to my own church here as I own all 1.4 primes, but I see myself not using 1.4 as often as I thought I would. Shooting wide open delivers a very specific style - and an even more particular style if AF doesn't work properly...

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #2 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

michaelwatkins wrote:

I think I'm going to be happy with this lens shooting farther out, too:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FAvLP49xeJQ/UPcq1wjvbvI/AAAAAAAADBU/aSwFLge22zE/s1024/20130115-DSC_2817.jpg

@f/4, balanced on edge of stone wall tilted down. No corrections applied in LR4, but certainly some other mucking around, it was a gloomy day.

Great shot Michael. Great detail. For the past few days I've been shooting strictly outdoor stuff and am more impressed every day.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:47 PM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.12 #3 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

falconbach wrote:
Is the autofocus fast enough to track dogs running? I'm using Nikon D800 and thinking about this lens as my next buy.

I would say no. It's just a smooth focus. It's not glaringly fast but it's nice and smooth and in my case very very accurate.

It sharp wide open and stupidly sharp by F2.8. I'd go so far as to say equally as sharp as my 200 F2 VR2.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.12 #4 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

The focus is accurate at F1.4. This is a great lens that needs some tweaking as confirmed by Sigma Technicians in other threads. Some of us, not all, are experiencing severe backfocus when using outer focus points. This exists on my d800, but not on my d600.

On my d600, this lens works very well with all focus points. Some of us are waiting to see the results from other users who have sent their Sigma lenses in to get fixed specifically for the acknowledged d800 issue.

As of right now, I'm enjoying using this lens on my d600.

markhout wrote:
But then, with all due respect, if 1.4 does not provide reliable AF, what is the point of purchasing a 1.4 AF lens? I am pretty sure that when a 1.4 lens is stopped down to 5.6 the IQ differences with considerably more affordable and travel-friendly (weight and bulk) 2.0 or even 2.8 lenses almost vanish.

I am preaching to my own church here as I own all 1.4 primes, but I see myself not using 1.4 as often as I thought I would. Shooting wide open delivers a very specific style - and an even more particular style if AF
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:45 PM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.12 #5 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

This exists on my D800 but not on my D600....

Hey ever thought, just maybe, just maybe, its your camera and not the lens.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.12 #6 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

equestrianguy wrote:

Ya, maybe it's ALL of our cameras. AND the D800 at my local camera shop. AND the camera that the Sigma repair center is using. Maybe it's all those things, and not a problem with the lens, as stated by the Sigma tech.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:19 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.12 #7 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

There're no rules in photography. Everyone knows 105 is a good focal length for head shots. But it can get boring. I have shot so many portraits at 24 and those pictures weren't any worse because they were not shot at 105.

michaelwatkins wrote:
Forgive my shameless requoting so this image sees another page. Hope you don't mind Jonathan!

To Mark, I doubt that few if any Sigma 35 fans in this thread are arguing that a short focal length can take the place of longer focal lengths for all portrait work. On the other hand, sometimes one shoots with what they have mounted by design or by accident, and certainly it is possible to make a good portrait with something shorter than an 85, 135 or 200mm lens.

Jonathan's capture of his daughter certainly makes this point - it's a pleasing portrait regardless of
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:32 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.12 #8 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Just got mine, it looks nice and very sharp!

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 06:25 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:01 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.12 #9 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

equestrianguy wrote:

I'd be inclined to think its the camera too, certainly if it works right on the D600. I can't see how anything can be done to the lens to make it perform differently on the D800, especially if they don't have the actual camera to hand.

But, I'm no camera/lens engineer so there's every chance I'm wrong.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.12 #10 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Neither am I. My 70-200mm and 50mm F1.8g both focus perfectly with the d800 even with outer focus points. Anyways, I will have to do more testing, but something funny is going on that is for sure.

ct8282 wrote:
I'd be inclined to think its the camera too, certainly if it works right on the D600. I can't see how anything can be done to the lens to make it perform differently on the D800, especially if they don't have the actual camera to hand.

But, I'm no camera/lens engineer so there's every chance I'm wrong.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.12 #11 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Hardcore wrote:
Neither am I. My 70-200mm and 50mm F1.8g both focus perfectly with the d800 even with outer focus points. Anyways, I will have to do more testing, but something funny is going on that is for sure.

Wowser. I was going to ask how your other lenses get on with your D800. How very peculiar. I guess the D800's troubled reputation adds doubt but I'll be very interested to see how your Siggy performs when it comes back. Kudos to Sigma for taking the lens in and dealing with it. Lets hope their service efforts are better than Nikon's!

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.12 #12 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I haven't sent mine away. I'm using it as is right now.

ct8282 wrote:
Wowser. I was going to ask how your other lenses get on with your D800. How very peculiar. I guess the D800's troubled reputation adds doubt but I'll be very interested to see how your Siggy performs when it comes back. Kudos to Sigma for taking the lens in and dealing with it. Lets hope their service efforts are better than Nikon's!

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:26 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.12 #13 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Getting my wires crossed. Must be another member that sent there's in.

Chris

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.12 #14 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

This lens really is a very good all-around lens. If I had to choose 1 lens for travel, this would be it.

NIKON D600    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/200s    220 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:58 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.12 #15 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

agreed, i would use this for general travel as well if i had to pick one.

DSC_0240 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.12 #16 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Just as the FYI Sigma does make a USB dock that allows you to micro tune lenses from the comfort of your home.

Their standard service for just a regular customer is on par with what NPS and CPS members receive respectively. It's well above and beyond what normal Nikon and Canon service provides.

Take the Sigma lens in to a store and try it on a D4. I'd wager money it'll be right on.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.12 #17 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

equestrianguy wrote:
Take the Sigma lens in to a store and try it on a D4. I'd wager money it'll be right on.

That may be the case even though the autofocus is essentially the same in terms of performance between the d800 and d4. D4 has a few more options but as far as speed, accuracy and number of af points. Identical.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.12 #18 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

ariel777 wrote: Speaking of Ad Hominem attacks, indirect or otherwise........

At least he posts in a more eloquent form rather than some yo monkey talk.....

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.12 #19 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Hardcore wrote:
That may be the case even though the autofocus is essentially the same in terms of performance between the d800 and d4. D4 has a few more options but as far as speed, accuracy and number of af points. Identical.

Well....

Maybe you don't get what I'm saying. I will explain this in a simplified form.

If it works on the D4 and not your D800 then your D800 is the issue and not the Sigma. That's why I said go try it on a D4.

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:36 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.12 #20 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:09 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register