Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              37       38       end

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Will, this lens is fantastic - I appreciate the enthusiasm you and others brought to the table - definitely it caught my attention and drew me to this lens.

I can't wait to put it to hard use.

I'm new to Nikon; this is lens number three. Well... lens number five actually, but I had to return two 50/1.4G's - one was DOA, the other might as well have been. I rebounded to a 50/1.8D which is ok but I'm not sure I fully trust focus. Probably I should have picked up the 50/1.8G, but then again I barely ever shoot 50mm. The Sigma 35 will help see to that.

The Nikon 85/1.8G copy I have seems right nice indeed after a little AF tuning and all is well, very well.

But this Sigma 35 takes the cake. When I opened it up I thought it might just look too good and not deliver, but this lens has more than a pretty face to offer. Seemingly it is built like a tank albeit a very pretty tank!

Here's another, one of the first images made with it, @f/1.4 just because we can!

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

is KEEP OFF on there twice or is a reflection playin' tricks

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.11 #3 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

trenchmonkey wrote:
Way to put a stop to the whining, Michael Those that can shoot....do.

Wow is right. I have no idea how to respond to such ignorance.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.11 #4 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I'm smarter than the lens, so who's the ignorant one
Less than 1% of my shots (I shoot for a living) is with a far left/far right focus point.
I move the cluster of 9 pts around to do my bidding. I take pictures. These are tools.
We're in charge. There is NO perfect lens. If you look for faults, you'll find them. Take
more pictures and whine less...you'll be more successful. Might even crack a smile.
I can find a few situations where my 200 f2 VR is less than stellar. So, post a thread
and bitch and about it?...not me. Just sayin'.....MY glass is half full.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.11 #5 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

So, because you don't use the outer focus points mean they shouldn't matter. They work fine with my 50mm 1.8g so why would I expect anything less from a lens that costs 4x as much. I guess if money is no object and you don't use your gear to the full potential, then these threads may seem as a bitch session.

For all of use who are having actual problems with our lens though, they are for valid reason. My 50mm F1.8g, 70-200mm VRII and the 14-24mm are all WITHOUT faults. Maybe we just have too many people living in the 1 month dreamland of owning a new toy and are not yet ready to deal with the real problems.

I use my gear for my business and I expect it to work. I can't afford out of focus shots.

trenchmonkey wrote:
Less than 1% of my shots (I shoot for a living) is with a far left/far right focus point.
I move the cluster of 9 pts around to do my bidding. I take pictures. These are tools.
We're in charge. There is NO perfect lens. If you look for faults, you'll find them. Take
more pictures and whine less...you'll be more successful. Might even crack a smile.
I can find a few situations where my 200 f2 VR is less than stellar. So, post a thread
and bitch and about it?...not me. Just
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.11 #6 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

trenchmonkey wrote:
I move the cluster of 9 pts around to do my bidding.

Well bully for you.

I take pictures. These are tools.

So do I. Lots of them. Lots of different subjects, with lots of different tools, and lots of different techniques. I know my equipment well and understand my lenses and their strengths and weaknesses. I know their inherent faults, and I know when one is defective. Others here have confirmed it, the tech at my local camera store confirmed it, and the tech at Sigma said it is a common, but not universal problem. If your lens is not defective, or it is, but your shooting style allows you to easily work around the problem, then good for you. That doesn't work for everybody, and it has nothing to do with shooting skill (I sell many, many images).

We're in charge.

That's right. And when I get a lens gets in the way of me taking good photos, I will work to determine if it is a quality inherent in the lens, or if it is defective, as I have done here.

There is NO perfect lens. If you look for faults, you'll find them. Take
more pictures and whine less...you'll be more successful.

I'm plenty successful with my photography, thanks for your concern.

Sorry, it's still you.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.11 #7 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

You've spread your negative poison ALL over this and other HAPPY threads. DPR seems more fitting, no?!

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:14 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.11 #8 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I guess photographers that use medium format cameras with the most simplistic AF systems must be out too lunch too.

Jeesus how many photogs actually use these outer points enough to find time to complain.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.11 #9 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I use the outer focus points all the time. I rarely place my subject in the centre of the frame, especially with a lens like this. I used to focus and recompose. That works okay for longer focal length, but the wider you go, the more the recompose will shift the focal plane off the subject.

I also like the fact that I can spot meter off my active focus point. I can also shoot in continuous mode so that any movement is followed even if it is slight. I don't have to focus, meter, lock, recompose and shoot.

What I find really funny is that we are being called out for wanting our cameras/lenses to work as they were meant to. Just because some people don't use all the features, does not mean others don't. Anyways, this is a forum and last I checked there were no rules saying you can't discuss the fault(s) of a lens.

NIKON D800    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/200s    1400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:39 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.11 #10 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Seems to work fine for 99.3% of photographers using it.

Also as an FYI relying on the outer focus points even when using a pro body with the best glass isn't highly advisable. The 200 F2 isn't even perfect when it comes to this.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hardcore
• • •
p.11 #11 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

equestrianguy wrote:
Seems to work fine for 99.3% of photographers using it.

Also as an FYI relying on the outer focus points even when using a pro body with the best glass isn't highly advisable. The 200 F2 isn't even perfect when it comes to this.

Sigh. Okay.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:13 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.11 #12 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Hardcore wrote:
I use the outer focus points all the time. I rarely place my subject in the centre of the frame, especially with a lens like this. I used to focus and recompose. That works okay for longer focal length, but the wider you go, the more the recompose will shift the focal plane off the subject.

I also like the fact that I can spot meter off my active focus point. I can also shoot in continuous mode so that any movement is followed even if it is slight. I don't have to focus, meter, lock, recompose and shoot.

What I
...Show more

Tell me about it. It is almost like a crime with some people if you bring up an issue. It must be your fault.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:23 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.11 #13 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

It is when some people have this unrealistic expectation that every single focal point should be equally as amazing as the other and when they aren't perfect, oh my god, the world will come to an end. People did the same complaining about the 5D Mark II and at the end of the day some of the very best portrait photographers in the world were using it just fine.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.11 #14 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

equestrianguy wrote:
It is when some people have this unrealistic expectation that every single focal point should be equally as amazing as the other and when they aren't perfect, oh my god, the world will come to an end. People did the same complaining about the 5D Mark II and at the end of the day some of the very best portrait photographers in the world were using it just fine.

If you had read my post describing the issue, you'd have seen that all focus points except the center were backfocusing, the problem is only progressively worse and more obvious towards the outermost points. Sigma confirmed that this is an issue that they are aware of and that there is an easy fix. Both copies of the lens that I had were unusable for my shooting style, as I rarely if ever use the center focus point for wide shots, and I shoot fast and wide very often.

The only reason I posted my experience across threads was in hope of helping other photographers that might be having the same experience, and I knew that there were a lot of owners and prospective owners watching this thread.

I'm sorry if my reporting that I have learned from the source that there is a common defect with the Sigma 35 makes any fans of the lens sad. I didn't realize that there were certain threads in which only cheerleading is allowed, I thought all these threads were for learning- that's what I've been using them for. I had no idea that reporting a technical issue would cause people to tell me I don't know how to take pictures.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:15 AM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.11 #15 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

trenchmonkey wrote:
You've spread your negative poison ALL over this and other HAPPY threads. DPR seems more fitting, no?!

I avoid DPR because it seems filled with ad-hominem attacks by people who are more interested in insults and braggadocio than engaging in a technical topic. It is common there if someone were to ask a question or make a statement about a piece of gear, someone else might jump in without attempting to help and just spray some grade-school rhetoric about how the first person doesn't know what they are talking about, or that they "can't shoot", so they should just shut up.

At DPR, those people define the nature of the forum. Here, they are the exception, but some of them have very high post counts regardless.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:48 AM
ariel777
• •
p.11 #16 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Erik Moore wrote:
I avoid DPR because it seems filled with ad-hominem attacks by people who are more interested in insults and braggadocio than engaging in a technical topic. It is common there if someone were to ask a question or make a statement about a piece of gear, someone else might jump in without attempting to help and just spray some grade-school rhetoric about how the first person doesn't know what they are talking about, or that they "can't shoot", so they should just shut up.

At DPR, those people define the nature of the forum. Here, they are the exception, but
...Show more

Speaking of Ad Hominem attacks, indirect or otherwise........

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:25 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.11 #17 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

ariel777 wrote:
Speaking of Ad Hominem attacks, indirect or otherwise........

But he started it first

Listen, there are flaws and imperfections, and then there are defects. This lens is stellar because it has minimal flaws and superb IQ. Defects, however, are a different thing. They are not across the board and only some samples are affected. If someone is pointing out their dissatisfaction with a defective sample, there is no reason to lambast them, The only way we will know if it is an isolated issue or a common one, is if people post their experiences.

Focus and recompose doesn't really work at f/1.4. The DOF is so thin than recompose can easily throw the target out of focus. It is not to say that there is no photography with single-point AF, or there is no photography with manual lenses, but different people, different styles, different needs.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.11 #18 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Gentlemen and ladies, the SLRGear has released the review of this lens:
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1561/cat/30

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:54 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.11 #19 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Cracking shot Hardcore. Gollum almost looks real in that pic. It's a shame you're having problems with the focus on your copy.

This is what this thread is all about. More pics peeps. More, more, more...

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:22 AM
falconbach
• •
p.11 #20 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Is the autofocus fast enough to track dogs running? I'm using Nikon D800 and thinking about this lens as my next buy.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password