New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Night shoots

ffab

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night shoots

I went out for new year and took a few shots.
I especially like those 2 but wonder how they could be improved.

Any advice is most welcome.

better quality version can be seen there

50mm f/1.4 1/80s no flash 640 ISO

50mm f/1.4 1/80s no flash 640 ISO

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night shoots

It is very difficult for me to tell what the subject matter is in the first one. Also, my eye keeps going to the brighter area in the BG, so it competes strongly with the subject which is already "detail challenged" due to the shallow dof and low illumination level. The red cutting across the back of the subject doesn't aid things much either.

The second one is clearly easier to recognize, but I would like to see a bit more negative space (a little bit) to let the lantern "breathe" a bit more. The balance between the candle and the BG lighting works much better here than the strong delta between subject/BG in the first one.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night shoots

I agree with Kent's comments.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:09 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night shoots

I think Kent is right on target.
BTW, I love the processing and the shallow DOF. Seems like a great lens.
Scott

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night shoots

Appealing. Would be easier to critique if posed larger - at least 800 pixels on the long dimension.

For the first, consider increasing the contrast of the mid-tones. One way is to apply the unsharp mask in Photoshop at about 16, 60, 0. Apply it again for even more contrast. Add a small amount of sharpening. Also, consider selecting the water stream on the left and reducing the saturation and lightening it to better separate it from its surroundings.

To illustrate:

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night shoots

Karen has given the image new life.
Now I can appreciate the subject better, and also the nice play of green/red
Scott

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Night shoots

Took a stab at it ...

Now that I can see it a bit better, I'm kinda wishing the little guy facing us (he makes me grin) was in focus.

But then again, being a bit fuzzy, green and spewing (sorry) during a New Year's night out & about ... is a bit reminiscent of times that many of us may like to have long since forgotten.

I guess it depends on the message you are wanting to convey ... a bit of whimsy on my part if you don't mind.

Just a little tweaking on the lantern, nothing notable really.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:05 PM
obscure

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Night shoots

#1 Taking a photo of the back of someone's head only works in very rare situations. Same applies for Dragons. Your focus is on the Dragon facing away when it should have been on the one facing the camera. I also agree with the above comments about the bright window. It appears there is a dark pillar between you and the window. maybe a small move to the right (or possibly the left) might have obscured the window a little. Alternatively a tripod and two shots (one exposed for window and one for Dragons) blended together.

#2 My only problem with this is you appear to have just chopped of the top of the lamp. A bit like cropping a models hand of foot off it doesn't feel comfortable.

Apart from the above they are lovely shots. I would definitely revisit the Dragons if you can.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:56 AM
ffab

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Night shoots

All,
Thanks a lot for all the very good point.
It's a learning curve and I am glad to have all the feedback I can get.

I will try to post the raw(s) of the dragon on dropbox for anyone interested. I will post the link here soon.

AuntiPode great use of Photoshop makes me think I should make pick it up. Only toying with LR for now.

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:41 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.