Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Leica M240

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica M240

The only problem I see with using the TS-E lenses, or any Canon EF lenses, is you'll need to bring along a Canon body in order to change aperture during an outing. Maybe the compact EOS-M with EF adapter is a possibility, but does it have DOF preview to allow stopping down the lens while uncoupling it? Unless there is another solution?

My feeing is Leica can't win with any 'R solution' camera they release. With the new M, there's obviously the M series heritage and dedicated users to keep in consideration when it comes to retaining some M system purity. Deviate too far from that abstract ideal and they'll be extremely unhappy. While I haven't browsed LUF recently, I'm sure there are a number of vocal users there complaining about how the M has already deviated too far from their ideal. Unfortunately for R system devotees, it being a discontinued line, will get secondary consideration.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:56 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica M240

rscheffler wrote:
The only problem I see with using the TS-E lenses, or any Canon EF lenses, is you'll need to bring along a Canon body in order to change aperture during an outing. Maybe the compact EOS-M with EF adapter is a possibility, but does it have DOF preview to allow stopping down the lens while uncoupling it? Unless there is another solution?

My feeing is Leica can't win with any 'R solution' camera they release. With the new M, there's obviously the M series heritage and dedicated users to keep in consideration when it comes to retaining some M system purity.
...Show more

I know and I still have some pain as a loyal R user for 25 or so years. And still buying more R glass to have some of the best manual focus lenses ever made (and an extensive collection). This is and will continue to be a very difficult decision for me. Leica USA knows me well having loaned me their modular lens for a month in 1998 and having used my work from this and other lenses. But, like many we feel somewhat orphaned.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica M240

joakim wrote:
I was out yesterday and did some landscape shooting with my M9 and while not the easiest camera to work with on a tripod it was a joy to be able to carry a camera, 5 lenses and some accessories in a small Domke shoulder bag.

I for one is looking forward to the M as a landscape camera so that I can use live view to make it easier to use the camera in the field. That said, the limit in bulb exposure is unfortunate but if IQ up to say 400 is very good then increasing ISO is
...Show more

Yes, I agree with this. I was more/less saying that *most* dedicated landscape users would probably not delve into the M240. I personally think it would be a great option with LV but it is out of my price range (note to self, repeat 10 times). I also love taking my M8 and a few lenses out into the wilderness as a lightweight kit.

On another note, is Leica going to also release an R mount adapter?

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:48 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica M240

Gary Clennan wrote:
On another note, is Leica going to also release an R mount adapter?

Of course, that's the whole idea

It's been already done.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica M240

Thanks Edward. I have not been following the news releases too closely... I knew there were many third party adapters but wasn't aware that there was currently a Leica branded one.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:04 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica M240

Gary Clennan wrote:
Thanks Edward. I have not been following the news releases too closely... I knew there were many third party adapters but wasn't aware that there was currently a Leica branded one.

Check these links out:

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_new/

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/adapters/9305.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/viewfinder_accessories/9306.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/ergonomics/9308.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/ergonomics/9307.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/ergonomics/9309.html

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica M240

rscheffler wrote:
The only problem I see with using the TS-E lenses, or any Canon EF lenses, is you'll need to bring along a Canon body in order to change aperture during an outing.

Urgh is that the only way to change apertures?
That is very much not ideal...
Maybe someone will come up with a clever adaptor with a ring on it and equivalent electronics...

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:44 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica M240

Simon Kennedy wrote:
Urgh is that the only way to change apertures?
That is very much not ideal...
Maybe someone will come up with a clever adaptor with a ring on it and equivalent electronics...

There are already some adapter rings available with aperture adjustment as this one for the NEX system:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=811147&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I would suspect that if not already available that someone will come up with an adapter.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:09 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica M240

naturephoto1 wrote:
I know and I still have some pain as a loyal R user for 25 or so years. And still buying more R glass to have some of the best manual focus lenses ever made (and an extensive collection). This is and will continue to be a very difficult decision for me. Leica USA knows me well having loaned me their modular lens for a month in 1998 and having used my work from this and other lenses. But, like many we feel somewhat orphaned.

Rich

You should consider letting Sony and Leitax adopt you. I'm very happy with the arrangement. Even though Sony's a bit of a flaky parent, they do take care of my basic needs and offer something I doubt Leica ever will in the form of SteadyShot.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:13 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leica M240

freaklikeme wrote:
You should consider letting Sony and Leitax adopt you. I'm very happy with the arrangement. Even though Sony's a bit of a flaky parent, they do take care of my basic needs and offer something I doubt Leica ever will in the form of SteadyShot.

With 16 R lenses and wanting to still have the option to shoot film on a Leica R body without changing the mounts, this is not the most palatable idea and in my case would be quite costly an option for the Sony Alpha System. Now if someone comes out with a system as an option that would offer a FF Mirrorless body that would use an adapter instead of changing the mount...

The Leica M with the R to M adapter will allow for info to be recorded and corrected via Photoshop CS6 or LR4 with 20 R lenses and I believe I presently own 8 of these lenses.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leica M240

naturephoto1 wrote:
With 16 R lenses and wanting to still have the option to shoot film on a Leica R body without changing the mounts, this is not the most palatable idea and in my case would be quite costly an option for the Sony Alpha System. Now if someone comes out with a system as an option that would offer a FF Mirrorless body that would use an adapter instead of changing the mount...

The Leica M with the R to M adapter will allow for info to be recorded and corrected via Photoshop CS6 or LR4 with 20 R lenses and
...Show more

Rich, why not think about use a Canon FF for the time being. a 5dII can be have at about $1200, which will not break your bank. You don't need Leitax them. I am still debating that routine, as I can have some Leica Zoom worked without do modification. (Though, I have zero complain about Leitax prime lens for Nikon, but I don't like the idea of surgery Leica zoom lens to Leitax them, which make Canon a better option to me.)

A Leica M is really for M user with occasional need for Tele R lens IMO. Though I agree it is best option for royal Leica user with R lens on hand, but the market segment for that is very small, IMO and the premium price is hardly justified if that is all your intention. You waste a huge potion of function of RANGEFINDER M and only use it as UNKNOWN performance full frame sensor as a platform with LEICA name on it.

Sooner or later, a FF ML camera will be introduced, make this investment even more of question mark unless you shoot M lens?

What you think?

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:41 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leica M240

zhangyue wrote:
Rich, why not think about use a Canon FF for the time being. a 5dII can be have at about $1200, which will not break your bank. You don't need Leitax them. I am still debating that routine, as I can have some Leica Zoom worked without do modification. (Though, I have zero complain about Leitax prime lens for Nikon, but I don't like the idea of surgery Leica zoom lens to Leitax them, which make Canon a better option to me.)

A Leica M is really for M user with occasional need for Tele R lens IMO. Though I
...Show more

I handled the 5D MKIII at PhotoPlus in October. I have relatively small hands. In fact, I wear men's small gloves. I found the 5D MKIII to be a handful and deeper with the grip than I found comfortable. It was a stretch for my hands. Specifically for the 5D MKII it is a 12 MP camera. The 5D MKIII is a real step up at 22MP.

In the meantime as I sit on the sidelines and wait to hear comments from the soon to be owners and the reviewers of the Leica M, I have and will be using my FujiFilm X-E1 camera. I know that this camera is an APS C sensor with 1.5X multiplier. It also has issues with RAW files at present but, hopefully that will be resolved with the coming of the update of Capture One and that may cause Adobe to revisit the issue.

In the meantime with the Fuji X-E1 with the Novoflex R to Fuji adapter I can use all of my R lenses. Right now I am awaiting the delivery of the in stock Novoflex Rotating collar for the Novoflex adapter (for larger and heavier collarless lenses) and the soon to be released RRS L Bracket and Grip for the camera. With these 2 items from Novoflex and RRS I have a system that will allow me to use all of my R lenses and the camera on my Arca Swiss QR clamps and I will wait things out.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:57 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leica M240

naturephoto1 wrote:

The Leica M with the R to M adapter will allow for info to be recorded and corrected via Photoshop CS6 or LR4 with 20 R lenses and
...Show more

Yeah, understood, and I do miss my R8, but life is compromise. As for the cost, well, the price difference between Sony's flagship a99 (not to mention an a900, which is what I use) and the new M buys a lot of new chipped mounts. My guess, though, is that we will see a Sony FF NEX or NEX-like solution sometime this year, so you may be in luck there.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:04 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leica M240

5dII is 21M with base ISO performance similar to 5DIII. 6D could be your friends if you sensitive about the size. Actually, it will be better since you can change focus screen for it.

I will get 5dIII if it can change screen as I really like the build of it. and bigger body balance well with Heavy Leica R Lens. but now, 6D are 5DII are only two options for me.

Yes, if you are more into tele range, and doesn't care much about shallow DOF then APS-C is not a bad idea for the time being.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:05 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leica M240

Should Leitax all the fine R glass and get a D800E to shoot it on. I have happy with my 100 APO on it and hope to leitax my 180/2.8 APO. 36MP and great DR.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:38 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leica M240

naturephoto1 wrote:
The Leica M with the R to M adapter will allow for info to be recorded and corrected via Photoshop CS6 or LR4 with 20 R lenses and I believe I presently own 8 of these lenses.
Rich

What about non-ROM lenses that have (had) direct ROM-version equivalents? Is it possible that Leica would again offer the service to convert those R lenses to the ROM standard?

Pure conjecture on my part.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:11 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Leica M240

wayne seltzer wrote:
Should Leitax all the fine R glass and get a D800E to shoot it on. I have happy with my 100 APO on it and hope to leitax my 180/2.8 APO. 36MP and great DR.

Wayne, for your Leica R lens, they can be a good match for D800E. might not the case with my 35/50 lux/cron. Maybe 50cron is durable.

I bought some Leica zoom locally with the hope I can do some landscape/travel in the future. It is really pain to do the Nikon conversion by myself. With the hope that I will get M240 in the future, have a quick detachable converter is the way to go I guess.

I have to leave with Canon DR limit I guess. It is not that bad if compare to Leica M9.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:49 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Leica M240

sirimiri wrote:
What about non-ROM lenses that have (had) direct ROM-version equivalents? Is it possible that Leica would again offer the service to convert those R lenses to the ROM standard?

Pure conjecture on my part.

It is supposed to be selectable in the camera when the R to M adapter is mounted on the M body to the best of my knowledge and should work with ROM or 3 Cam versions.. As to the correction in Photoshop 6 and LR4 I believe that it is selected in the work flow for the 20 or so focal length lenses. To the best of my knowledge the lenses do not need to have been a ROM version.

Rich

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:08 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Leica M240

wayne seltzer wrote:

Wayne,

The Nikon D800/800E cameras are massive and I would suspect from handling the Canon cameras too large for my hands. Additionally, going the Nikon route not only means Leitaxing the lenses but it would surely be very inconvenient to go back to shoot film on my R4SP, R7, or R8.

Rich

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:10 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Leica M240

samples from the m240

http://www.saildragonfly.com/PhotoGalleries/sailing-photos-january2013/index.html

L prefix for the m240
ULR for the S2

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:04 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password