Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100s!

justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Fuji X100s!

I would hope the price doesn't go up. And maybe comes down. I think $999 would be a pretty sweet price point-- and doable. I'd guess it'll be at the old X100 price if the X100 is EOL. And a little higher if the X100 is going to stick around.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:47 PM
jeremymeier
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Fuji X100s!

Hmmm, looks like some nice updates, but I don't know if they're worth taking the loss that will inevitably be taken in the used market for your existing X100 camera to sell... These are just my .02, but I've owned the NEX-7, and the higher res EVF very similar to what's in the X-E1 and the new X100s is nice, but not groundbreakingly different in everyday use. In fact, in my X-Pro1 I really don't notice too much difference at all, and I use it almost 100% of the time with MF lenses.

The other thing I'll mention is that the image quality from 12MP up to 16MP may or may not be better with the X-Trans sensor, as it shows higher detail, but almost always packing more MP into the same size sensor leads to overall lesser quality pixel per pixel performance... Now, I love my Fuji cameras (X-Pro1 & X100) as I started with the X100 LE version, but if you want insane detail go with the 24MP NEX-7, but notice the far higher noise element in the shots.

When I started using the X-Trans sensor, I noticed it pulled some good detail, but not nearly as good as the Sony did... I guess what I'm saying is, if you already own the X100, don't drop everything and lose out selling it too cheap, then spend a ton getting the updated version if the updates aren't super necessary for your particular needs...

I spent a ton of cash trading and chasing little updates here and there across systems, but now decided once I got BETTER than the camera, I'd update then... The X100 is still a gem of a camera, so don't toss them overboard just yet!

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Fuji X100s!

I get a message that there is no translation available for the article. What language do theyspeak in England now?

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:05 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #4 · Fuji X100s!

phase detection on the sensor is a big deal. hopefully this means that in a year or two every mirrorless camera will have phase detect.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Fuji X100s!

runamuck wrote:
I get a message that there is no translation available for the article. What language do theyspeak in England now?

English... Maybe the English-American translator is broken

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:16 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.2 #6 · Fuji X100s!

Fuji seems to be making some very attractive products. However I am reluctant to buy Fuji products becuase it seems like they are in a rapid upgrade mode with their cameras and it crushes the price of the already existing model. It's almost as if the X pro 1 was a beta test.

Jack

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Fuji X100s!

allstarimaging wrote:
Fuji seems to be making some very attractive products. However I am reluctant to buy Fuji products becuase it seems like they are in a rapid upgrade mode with their cameras and it crushes the price of the already existing model. It's almost as if the X pro 1 was a beta test.

Jack

Uh, the original X100 is a 2 year old model. Hardly a rapid upgrade.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:55 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.2 #8 · Fuji X100s!

As I mentioned before, the cameras are great, not necessary to keep upgrading all the time. Buy one to suit your needs, and just use it until you outgrow it... Simple :-)

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Fuji X100s!

jeremymeier wrote:
As I mentioned before, the cameras are great, not necessary to keep upgrading all the time. Buy one to suit your needs, and just use it until you outgrow it... Simple :-)

blasphemy!

you are hereby banished from the gear fora...

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:01 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.2 #10 · Fuji X100s!

He he, look, I'm not claiming I haven't done my fair share of gear swapping and trying to stay on top of the game, but I think I'm at the point where I'm just gonna enjoy shooting the cameras I have, because they are far more capable than myself at the moment...

I just have spent too much time and money trying to stay ahead of the game, and thinking my gear was more a financial investment that it being an investment in the tools to further my photography...

I'm sure I'll somehow end up with an X100s, but I'm gonna try hard not to for a while... :-)

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Fuji X100s!

Very true. I've only purchased new cameras because they've bloody broke down on me, became faulty! But at this point, I feel my photography HAS moved on from when I first started, so I feel I would have needed to upgrade at some point. Saying that, my current gear is far from the latest and greatest, but suits me well, and I work hard to get what I can from it. If guess what I've learnt, or taken forward, is to buy stuff with good build quality, as I've had far too many things through with no fault of my own. Perhaps just luck, but I dunno, but the more expensive stuff seems to wear better to me. I've never held an x100, but I hope they're made well.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:27 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Fuji X100s!

Won't it be the case that with the X-Trans one is gonna have to spend a buck or two to get some reasonably decent software to do PP'g with? Capture One 7.0+ is $300 GRR Lightroom 4+ is rumored to be slow as hell. Just asking....

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:36 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.2 #13 · Fuji X100s!

You won't "have to" as there will be the SilkyPix software that comes with the camera to support the RAW files, but if you have a workflow that includes adobe products then yes you'll have to get better software... Adobe Camera Raw plugin ver. 7.1 supports the X-Trans sensor I believe...

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:46 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Fuji X100s!

Ah, very good point re: software. I only use ACR. Can't be arsed faffing with a new workflow for casual snaps. That might tilt me towards the "original" in fact, but will have to see how things pan out.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.2 #15 · Fuji X100s!

Do note though that the Fuji jpeg file is damn nice right out of camera, and allows a bit more margin for editing than most other cameras do... If you routinely get the shot 90% right, you may not ever have to shoot RAW...

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:11 AM
jeremymeier
• •
p.2 #16 · Fuji X100s!

@Ricardo, the Fuji X-series cameras are made well, and feel sturdy and well built for sure... Once you pick up an X100, it'll just make you wanna shoot.... Period! They are a fun camera that literally seem to have this " I always have to have this thing at my side wherever I go " effect on people...

I know I'm gonna get bashed for saying this, but nothing bad is meant towards anyone!!! This is just my feeling, but the major quirk with this camera has always been the AF speed... To me, a shot captured in an instant is mostly being at the right place at the right time by chance (not ALL the time mind you) and not so much the careful planning and skillful ability of the photographer. This camera is NOT marketed for sports shooters, so that rules out its use there. As we all grow as photographers, its the planning and execution that gets those incredible images, not so much the fleeting moment where you catch something out of the corner of your eye, and the camera happens to catch focus and BAM! You've got the shot...

Think of all the unforgettable images shot with old relic cameras on slow film that are iconic today... The current X100 is more than capable of delivering such driving imagery, but how many of us are yet? Can we out-do what that camera is capable of? Again, just my personal opinions, don't beat me with baseball bats people!!! :-)

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:23 AM
ayler
• •
p.2 #17 · Fuji X100s!

One question to all those who use the X Trans sensor X Pro 1 and X E1:

I understand that there are all sorts of problems with RAW support (I've seen the IR RAWs developed through LR4, C1 Beta and whatnot in the X E1 thread, if I'm not mistaken, and they all look scarily far from good), but what about the JPEGs? Are these free from moire and other artefacts or it's just that they show less of these problems than the RAWs in the current state of support?

Reason I ask is that this X100s looks very good on paper (perfect take everywhere cam), with what were generally perceived as 1st generation kinks seemingly ironed out, plus a number of great additions such as peaking and improved AF, but I'm scarred that RAWs from this X Trans sensor will never be good enough for my purposes (I'm quite sensitive to colour and pattern moire) and that this would have to be a JPEG only cam.

I ask if the JPEGs are free from the strange artefacts I've seen in the RAWs, because I'm intrigued that if Fuji can produce clean JPEGs out-of-camera, RAWs should be able to match and even exceed that at some point, when support improves - given that all files, OOC JPEGs or 16bit tiffs from RAW rely on the same raw data from the sensor and therefore have a common starting point. If the JPEGs are generally free from artefacts, then I feel more confident that files developed from RAW will eventually catch up. If JPEGs are not 99% clean, then my gut feeling would be that this is a flawed sensor architecture and I will not buy it.

But if Fuji's so willing to put all its eggs in this one basket and JPEGs are clean, maybe it's because they already have the magic sauce and are just waiting for Adobe and the rest to make their own and jar it up to us, no?

Here's hoping, as I just feel this could be the perfect simple, old fashioned fixed lens take everywhere for me.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:27 AM
_julian_
• •
p.2 #18 · Fuji X100s!

If the viewfinder can present full-sized left and right halves of an image with different phases, does this imply that all sensor pixels are able to gather phase information? This would represent an advance over current state of the art, whereby only dedicated pixels perform this function.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:36 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Fuji X100s!

This puts me probably over the fence on the rx1

I loved my x100 save the awful af and overall sluggishness. The rx1 af is causing me headaches too.

This to me is an exciting camera....wonder when it will be out. Late march?

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:06 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Fuji X100s!

ayler wrote:
One question to all those who use the X Trans sensor X Pro 1 and X E1:

I understand that there are all sorts of problems with RAW support (I've seen the IR RAWs developed through LR4, C1 Beta and whatnot in the X E1 thread, if I'm not mistaken, and they all look scarily far from good), but what about the JPEGs? Are these free from moire and other artefacts or it's just that they show less of these problems than the RAWs in the current state of support?

Reason I ask is that this X100s looks very good on paper
...Show more

I'll preface this by saying i) I'd rather not let this thread dissolve into a religious debate on X-Trans (there are plenty of other places for that), and ii) we don't really know what THIS sensor is going to produce along with EXR II processor until it gets out into the wild.

That said, short answer: No, JPEGs from my X-E1 are not perfect. Nor are RAWs. Neither are the same from my 5D2 (for comparison), but for other reasons.

Longer answer: Expecting perfection is a losing game. And I love my X-E1 as I do my 5D2. The OOC JPEGS, and RAWs processed with some of the software out in the wild, are reliably good, artifact free (or near-impossible to find), and high resolution. But yeah, I can find that funky stuff going on in SOME cases at the boundaries of resolution at full or beyond full magnification in certain types of shots. Just like I can find the miraculous 5D2 banding-- though if you look in yesterday's major newspaper travel section you just might see some dark shots of northern lights and other images that I shot with my trusty 5D2 that nobody is complaining about. I expect you'll see a few shots from my X-E1 in that same general space in the coming months/year. You'll also find similar work of mine online and in high circulation, high quality, glossy, photo-heavy magazines...

So, YES, the stuff you've heard about the X-Trans funkiness, in the first-gen sensors at least, is absolutely real. You can find it. It appears to be impossible to totally eliminate no matter the output method/software-- but at the same time almost never a serious issue for screen, print, or other output at any normal size (and by normal I mean up to double-truck, glossy, high-res printing).

I don't consider it a major concern. Not anywhere as frustrating-- to me-- as the slowness/missing of AF in dark/backlit situations.

And, as usual with these things, I expect incremental improvements from software/processing alone. And significant improvements from each generation. I bet this X100s sensor/processor HW is a major improvement on my current X-E1 in that regard (AND in AF). I sure hope it is. And I hope that filters down to future X-E1 hardware releases over the next years.

Right now, I'm simply using JPEG output from the camera because it's damn good. And I haven't used an OOC JPEG from my 5D2 (or any other Canon)... ever. I've tried, just never been satisfied. So that surely counts for something.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:19 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password