Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Gear thread

Jess Edward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Gear thread

This is something I had posted on my blog last year.

01. Canon 5D MkIII with a Pixel Vertax E11 Battery Grip - This is the primary camera body that I use for most of my photography work.

02. Canon 28mm f2.8 - I got this lens because I wanted a lightweight wide angle lens when I didnít feel like hauling the 16-35 around with me.

03. Canon 35mm f1.4L - This is one of the lenses in my bag that gets the most use. I enjoy shooting with primes whenever I can and the wide aperture really gives me a lot of flexibility in low light situations.

04. Canon 50mm f1.2L - Until recently this was the other lens in my bag that got the most use. Unfortunately there is a focusing issue built into the design of this lens so I decided to buy a Canon 50mm f1.4 to use as well so I can decide which one I prefer. EDIT: I have since sold this lens and decided to keep the 50mm f1.4.

05. Canon 50mm f1.4 USM - I got this lens a few weeks ago to potentially replace my Canon 50mm f1.2L. I am going to use both of them for a while until I decide which one I prefer.

06. Canon 85mm f1.8 USM - As I mentioned before I prefer to use primes whenever I can and the 85mm f1.8 is usually the lens I go to whenever I need something longer than 50mm. I tend to shoot a lot of things with wider lenses so this one doesnít get used nearly as often as the 35mm or the 50mm.

07. Canon 16-35 f2.8L - I use this lens a lot when I am shooting events and its usually closer to the 16mm end of the zoom range. I would like to replace it one day with the MkII version but its not a lens I use enough to justify that just yet.

08. Canon 24-70 f2.8L - In certain shooting situations I find it to be a bit of a hassle to switch lenses whenever I need to change focal lengths which is when I use this lens.

09. Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS - The first thing you will notice is that this lens isnít actually in the bag. That is because I have a Lowepro lens case that attaches to the outside of the bag which lets me maximize my storage space. Out of all the lenses I own this one gets used the least. I tend to prefer to shoot using wider focal lengths but there are times when you need a good zoom lens and its nice to know its there waiting for me whenever I may need it.

10. Canon 580EX II - This is my main flash and it gets used quite often. Canon just released an upgrade to this flash called the 600EX-RT but I havenít had time to read up on it yet to see if there are any actual benefits to upgrading so for now I will keep using this one. There is a removable strip of velcro around the head of this particular flash which I use to attach things like bounce cards or color gels.

11. Canon 580EX II - Until recently this flash was sitting in a box broken. It had an unfortunate encounter with someones shoe at a Comeback Kid concert and it stopped working. I had it repaired last week and now it will be used as my backup in case something like that happens again.

12. Canon 540EZ - Since this flash is an EZ model it doesnít work in E-TTL mode with any digital cameras so I use this flash at events if I feel like I need some back lighting. Now that I have the second 580EX II this one probably wont see nearly as much use though.

13. Memory Cards - I donít use any specific memory cards. I never shoot so fast that the card canít keep up with me and Iíve never had a card fail in the 10 years I have been shooting so I just make sure I have enough memory to get me through whatever I am shooting. Right now I have 3 8GB cards, and 5 or 6 4GB cards. I have been thinking about getting a 16GB card recently just to make things easier.

14. External Battery Pack - This battery pack takes 8 AA batteries and plugs directly into the flash. In increases the recycle time but mainly it just gives you 3 times the battery life which is handy if you are shooting a long event and need lots of flash power the whole time.

15. Backup Canon 5D - This camera isnít in the picture but I have a Canon 5D as a backup just in case anything were to happen to my main body while I am shooting.

I also have an Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm film point and shoot that I use every now and then for fun as well as a Ricoh GXR with the 28mm lens module that I use for most of my street photography.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Gear thread

deleted double post. ;-)

Edited on Jan 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · Gear thread

Along the lines of making up long lists of equipment one bought, I almost spit out my coffee a day or two ago when I saw a photo posted on line and accompanied by a list of the equipment use... and it named the specific bean bag that had been used to stabilize the camera. ;-)

What next? A list of the brand of gloves the photographer used? The vehicle used to drive to the location? What he/she had for lunch before shooting? ;-)

Posted by,

Dan,

Using 10 fingers, MacbookAir, cup of coffee, comfortable couch, table lamp

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · Gear thread

Dan, let us not start posting cranky missives twice.
Most folks here like (love ?) their gears....that is obvious, and that is why you and I are here as well. If it wasn't for that, how many FM members would we have anything else in common with ? Two, three ?

Now, some gear aficionados are more devoted to their accessories, some love their tripods, some swoon at the sight of a Gurka backpack. Some reacquaint themselves with the forum only when they acquire a new capital gear item, some discuss camera DR or ISO noise daily. Some seldom take or post pictures, others do it a lot.
In such large populations as FM is, one is bound to find all sorts of manifestations of the same core interest in gears. Therefore, marvel not at outlaying cases because there are quite a few of those. Your energy could be better spent reflecting on more arcane aspects of photography such as 3D lens rendering.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · Gear thread

PetKal wrote:
Dan, let us not start posting cranky missives twice.

It was supposed to be mildly amusing. I was chuckling to myself as I wrote the addendum... ;-)

Dan

(Notes to self:

1. Don't double post - it doesn't make my posts twice as good. ;-)

2. Use more smileys! ;-) :-) :-D !!

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · Gear thread

gdanmitchell wrote:
(Notes to self:

1. Don't double post - it doesn't make my posts twice as good. ;-)

Probably it doesn't, but it did look like you were imitating the EB-1's style.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Gear thread

Simplifying, getting ready to purge old gear, I was rummaging thru my closet, where my gear is stored and found an old wine box. A nice wooden two bottle box from Robert Mondovi Vineyards, 'top of closet, wine...crap I hope not'. Had no clue what was in it, wasn't real heavy...slid the top off to reveal...more gear

Filters, lens cleaning sundries, a yashica rangefinder manual, even a few rolls of Kodachrome; not shot. But the treasure found in a rather aging cloudy plastic zip lock bag produced a huge smile.

Gears for shooting yes, but not of the 35mm type, they were of the 'shoot the moon' type. One blue and one gold, both fully functional, although these still fingers can not 'walk the dog' anymore.

Found in my photo gearz box were two well worn vintage 'Duncan' YoYos; from 1967

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · Gear thread

make sure you guys post your address too, I need to know which houses to hit first

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · Gear thread

BenV wrote:
make sure you guys post your address too, I need to know which houses to hit first

Make sure you bring a few friends; I like a target-rich environment.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Teper

p.4 #10 · Gear thread

i love dreaming about gear! I just sold some stuff, but currently have this:

40D
7D w/grip

16-35 2.8L II
35mm 1.4 Sigma Art
50mm 1.4 Sigma EX
85mm 1.4 Sigma EX
135mm 2.0L
150mm 2.8 Sigma EX Macro

580 EX II
YN 560
YN 560 II

Slik 500DX
Slik 724CF
MF 680B

Hitech filters and some other stuff.

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:53 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.4 #11 · Gear thread

I used to list my gear on my profile but I end up making "them" clinically depressed.

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · Gear thread

dolina wrote:
I used to list my gear on my profile but I end up making "them" clinically depressed.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password