Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lighting stands and booms

shmn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting stands and booms

I've been using three SB-900's with an SU-800 trigger for my lighting needs. I am going to buy a light modifier and stands/booms for them and could use some advice. The set-up will be used for informal portraits and product shots.

First, I already have a 32" 5-in-1 collapsible round disc (Promaster) which I use a lot as either a reflector or diffuser. I would like to have a stand and boom with a holder for this.

And then I plan on purchasing a Photek Softlighter Hot Shoe Diffuser kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/690337-REG/Photek_HSD_5000K_Softlighter_Hot_Shoe_Diffuser.html). I considered a softbox but I think this may suit my needs better since I want to use my Speedlights wirelessly and many of the softboxes have the Speedlight inside in the softbox. Plus, this gives me a little more versatility.

So I want to buy two stands and one boom. One stand will support the Softlighter (which comes with an adapter). The other stand will support the 32" disc and/or another Speedlight usually with a boom. So I will need a holder for the 32" disc.

I like the Manfrotto 367B stands (or similar). I prefer "quality" components over cheap stuff. I know they have a stand with a boom (420B) but it doesn't seem to get good reviews. Would I be better off with two 367B's and then buy a separate boom? Any suggestions for a good boom/sandbag combo?

For the disc holder, I was thinking of the Alzo Reflector Holder Arm (http://www.alzovideo.com/alzo-5-in-1-diffuser-reflector.htm). Any comments or recommendations?

I have a Justin clamp which I figure I can use to mount the Speedlight on the boom.

I was planning on driving down to Seattle (about 1.5 hours away) to visit Glazer's which is a pretty good store with a whole separate lighting shop. I know they will have lots of advice but I like to show up armed with good info so I don't get steered in the wrong direction. B&H is also an option, but I like to see and try out this type of gear before buying. Thanks for any advice or comments.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:31 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting stands and booms

shmn wrote:
...I know they have a stand with a boom (420B) but it doesn't seem to get good reviews.

I may just be defensively preaching to my own choir, but I bought a 420B several years ago, and liked it so well that I bought another one a few months ago. (Interestingly, I bought both at Glazer's, which is also where I bought my 20D and 7D, most of my lenses, etc. I bought a few things at Kenmore Camera, and some mail order, but I'm sold on Glazer's customer service. I also used their rental department for Hassleblads and strobes when I was shooting professionally years ago.)

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:33 AM
shmn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting stands and booms

Brian,

Thanks for the comment. I was probably hasty in my assessment of the 420B. I was basing my comment only on the Amazon reviews. Turns out the negative reviews were due to missing parts in the kits. I checked the reviews at B&H and they are predominantly positive.

So, I'm thinking I'll get myself a 367 and a 420.

I'm curious about what that is at the end of the boom in your photo. Is it a Speedlight with some sort of modifier? Or is it a larger light?

Thanks again.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:56 AM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting stands and booms

I think each level in the quality lineups, whether it be Bogen/Manfrotto, or Avenger, etc. has it's own limitation. The 420 is too lightweight for a heavy modifier-strobe combo. However, it's rather nice for a speedlight. You can whip out the 420, that Softlighter and get going in 10 minutes essentially. Very portable and lightweight. The next step and a half up, like an Avenger D600 "baby" boom, is substantially more rugged, but it is BIG and HEAVY. If the Vikings ever attack, I'm grabbing that D600 to fight them off. That bigger boom requires a heavy duty stand as well.

The 420 with the weight bag (optional) is nice, as the weight bag clips on to the end of the boom conveniently. I fill them with my old jars of pennies (sans jar of course). The other nice weights are those orange Manfrotto clamp on weights, as you can slide them along the length or clamp them onto the bottom of the light pole in order to lower the center of gravity and keep it from tipping. I've bought those second hand, as they can be expensive relative to bags filled with whatever.

The other nice thing to get are coasters because a weighted down stand can be clumsy to move (though skip this if on a thicker rug or outside obviously).

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting stands and booms

shmn wrote:
...I'm curious about what that is at the end of the boom in your photo. Is it a Speedlight with some sort of modifier? Or is it a larger light?

It's a Speedlite firing into an RPS Studio BeautiDish (not beauty dish). I also have a 20-inch BeautiDish, but the one shown is a 12-inch version. It's too small to work as a true beauty dish, but I like using it as an accent light. It comes with a diffuser sock, and there is an optional grid that I bought as well.

They had them at Glazer's, but I don't know if they still do. Here's a link to a source, and another to an old thread I started when I got it.

http://www.adorama.com/RPSBDK12.html

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/967727

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:39 AM
bills_pix

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting stands and booms

You won't be disappointed with the Westcott 1100 reflector holder arm. Built like a tank in Italy which makes me think it is really a Manfrotto.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/62235-REG/Westcott_1100_Illuminator_Arm.html

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:07 AM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting stands and booms

shmn wrote:
I like the Manfrotto 367B stands (or similar). I prefer "quality" components over cheap stuff. I know they have a stand with a boom (420B) but it doesn't seem to get good reviews. Would I be better off with two 367B's and then buy a separate boom? Any suggestions for a good boom/sandbag combo?

B&H is also an option, but I like to see and try out this type of gear before buying. Thanks for any advice or comments.

You may want to look into the Impact stands at B&H - they are significantly cheaper than Manfrotto and the air-cushioning works just as well. My 10' stands easily support bigger mods.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password