FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

thomas_1950 wrote:
Nice set Karl! The diffuse light in conjunction with the snow is a real plus. The Song Sparrow and Tufted Titmouse are my favorites. The addition of a catch light in the Song Sparrow's eye will enhance your pic.

Great job as always,
Tom

Good thought on adding a little glimmer in the eye
Thanks for your kind words buddy
Karl

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Herderdog
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Wish we would have a “little”snow to play with, Karl. Lovely, soft feel to these images.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:23 PM
marklankton
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl, this light is really working for you no matter what it looks like in general. Nice shooting on these cute, very small, birds.
Mark

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:26 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Lovely set Karl, the composition/crop in no.2 is perfect and the snowflakes really add that touch of winter magic - that's my pick.

Paul.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:37 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Your capturing and processing skills certainly hide the blah light Karl, good job. #2 and #3 for me
David

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:10 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

#1 Very nice comp. Wish there was more BG blur to camouflage the busy BG.
#2 Lovely details like the snow and especially the sparrows grab on the fence.
#3 Love this one. Great comp, nice pose, beautiful colors.
#4 My only nit here is the connection of the tail with the branch.
Karl, I think you did very well as I don't notice the blah light.
Chris

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:21 PM
baileyjmad
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

They're all great. The cattail shot is especially cool.
John

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:29 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl,
The light may be blah but you sure made the birds look great. Like the tufted titmouse the best.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:01 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

very nice Karl .. the last two are my favorites

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Beautiful soft light in these great pics Karl.
I like the way the Titmouse has its tail supported by the weed
Martin

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:24 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl Witt wrote:
Visitors with the Chickadees were some Sparrows and a brief showing by a Tufted Titmouse. Here are a few more trying to 'stretch' the low light of this Winter's day. Handheld, shooting from under an overhang and enjoying the light snow falling. The Titmouse had an OOF area from a foreground weed spike on its back but I still liked the feel in the shot

Thanks for stopping by, your comments are always encouraged!

Karl

Karl;
Remember Ali McGraw ? She had that one crooked front tooth? My point is that she was not perfect, but she was really easy to look at. My point is ; Our photos don't have to be perfect to be great. The light was what it was. It was a snowy winter day where a guy got out with his camera and enjoyed nature. My first reaction when I saw your photos, was how much I enjoy going out in the snow, crappy light or not and recording my experience. I enjoyed looking at your photos even if the light wasn't perfect. Nice job!

Al

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Tim Kuhn wrote:
These all have wonderful reflected light on them Karl, I don't find them to lit dully. 1 is a classic, 3 I really like but as you would say to me, maybe remove the tree growing out of the back of the bird. I too like the titmouse but I have a soft spot for them since we don't have them here. You have inspired me to drive to the snow and shoot rather than sit around here and wine about the weather!

Tim

Dang I missed that 'chopstick' effect Good call buddy
Thanks Tim!
Karl

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

CDaescher wrote:
#1 Very nice comp. Wish there was more BG blur to camouflage the busy BG.
#2 Lovely details like the snow and especially the sparrows grab on the fence.
#3 Love this one. Great comp, nice pose, beautiful colors.
#4 My only nit here is the connection of the tail with the branch.
Karl, I think you did very well as I don't notice the blah light.
Chris

Nice to see your expressions on these images

Yes more time could be spent on BG though it still would only be an 'OK' BG at best IMO
I too liked the snow dotting
Thanks!
There was more to it than showing, but I understand your point on the connection of tail to branch, good point, I can fix that
Glad you found the light enjoyable, or at least the results from it
Thanks Chris
Karl

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

kbarrera wrote:
Karl;
Remember Ali McGraw ? She had that one crooked front tooth? My point is that she was not perfect, but she was really easy to look at. My point is ; Our photos don't have to be perfect to be great. The light was what it was. It was a snowy winter day where a guy got out with his camera and enjoyed nature. My first reaction when I saw your photos, was how much I enjoy going out in the snow, crappy light or not and recording my experience. I enjoyed looking at your photos even if the light
...Show more

I too enjoy the snow but I have such limited time to take pictures I want those snow-days to be more productive so I have some images to enjoy. I am pretting particular and demanding of a level of presentation that 'I' want which makes it hard on me to accept from myself just 'average'
Thanks Al for the thoughtful reply......
Karl

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Storm300
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

I like number 2 because of the crop and the background transitional colors fit the sparrow perfectly. Just great work in all of them, but #2 is my favorite. It may be just a tad bit too much on the sharpening... as it's really easy to over do it with the feather detail in an already sharp image. -Mike U

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

In general I want to thank those I did not directly reply to. I am trying to find a balance of time and respect to those that reply

I appreciate the good words and picks many of you have voiced, my goal will be to try to answer questions from a reply or directly reply to suggestions made.

I'd rather put more effort into replying on other threads when I can. If I somehow miss a reply to someones question please make an effort to PM me and I will elaborate and share my thoughts

Thanks much to all that have relplied so far..........much appreciated to hear from you!
Karl

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:34 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Geez Karl. These all look great. I love the detail and the snow just adds that nice touch ~ Ron

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:06 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl;
I totally get it. As the owner of a very successful construction co., I too have very little time to pursue my passion for wildlife photography. I coached winning football teams for eight years and almost quit golf last year because I was not playing to my former 10 handicap. Average is a dirty word to me. However I decided that when it came to my photography, I wasn't going to beat myself up if the tip of a eagles wing was slightly clipped or one feather was out of focus.
See my recent post: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1179000
I do however appreciate perfection or the pursuit of it on this forum. So I will continue to post my photos, accept criticism and strive to be better.

Regards

Al

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

kbarrera wrote:
Karl;
I totally get it. As the owner of a very successful construction co., I too have very little time to pursue my passion for wildlife photography. I coached winning football teams for eight years and almost quit golf last year because I was not playing to my former 10 handicap. Average is a dirty word to me. However I decided that when it came to my photography, I wasn't going to beat myself up if the tip of a eagles wing was slightly clipped or one feather was out of focus.
See my recent post: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1179000
I do however appreciate perfection or
...Show more
Now you know why I don't take up other hobbies After a while you 'naturally' get better without the worry Al, you will see more of the little 'nits' before you release the shutter and make better images of them and not feel the pressure I did woodworking for about 8 yrs, oh the rewards and frustrations of that were wonderful, made mistakes but only made them once
I think we have a lot in common when it comes to our standards of excellence!
Thanks again Al

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:06 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sparrows and a Titmouse in Winters blah light (4) edits

Karl, I can't believe I missed these little gems. I really like all of these and surprising for myself
I like the on with the fence in it. Usually the "human" perches are a big no for me but your
comp on this one really makes it. Great set my friend.

-Tim

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:42 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.