Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Winter Landscape Images

jtchuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Winter Landscape Images

I'm looking for some feedback on a few images I've taken recently at some local beaches here. These are the images I'm most stuck on in terms of my post-processing work:

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Winter Landscape Images

Josh ... Welcome to the Forum.

Tough to tackle them all at once ... but I present the question of "What's the point?" or "What is the message that you are trying to convey to your viewer?" as a question to ask about a given image. I find that when I ask/answer that question ... it can help guide me to making some processing determinations on how I'd like to take an image.

That being said ... you've given us several to approach, so do be patient. It is typically better to post one or two at a time, but no worries ... it just makes the thread a little fragmented at times.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:48 AM
jtchuk

p.1 #3 · Winter Landscape Images

Thanks for the reply RustyBug.

I guess I should clarify where I am with these images: I feel as though I've done most of what I can with them to convey the particular feeling I'm going for with each. At a certain point though, I sometimes feel as though I get burnt out on an image and sort of stuck in a rut. All of these are examples which I feel are very close to being done but just don't have the impact I'd like them to. It's possible that I've just stared at them too long and become sort of de-sensitized to them. Or it's possible they just need that extra 'push' that I haven't given them or don't know how to apply to them in post. Or I'm sure it's possible that I could be trying to pull a successful image out of one that isn't even there in the first place (from lack of compositional strength, etc.). The reason why I've posted them here is get some criticism on them and hear others' opinions on where they stand - how 'finished' they are, or whether they are worth 'finishing'

In any case, I look forward to hearing more feedback! There are some very talented photographers on this forum

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Winter Landscape Images

Lots of ways you can take an image ...

The sky is blown out on what you've posted, so I couldn't do anything really with it, but you get the gist of what I'm doing here with it. I'm diggin' the white (high key) to black (low key) thing that (I think) you're going for, but I'd like to have a bit more of the sea / sky to work with so it isn't totally blown and void of detail ... with at least a little transition from sea to sky before fading to blown white.

Of course, that's my vision ... not necessarily yours.

As always, S&P to taste ... but I can see you've got an eye and a vision ... just gotta learn how to cook 'em how you like 'em.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:50 AM
jtchuk

p.1 #5 · Winter Landscape Images

I see what you're saying. And I think you got exactly what I was trying to go for with that image.

The issue with the sky is that it was a relatively foggy morning at the time and there was little to no detail in it. My decision to completely blow out that portion of the image was to emphasize the sort of 'solitary' feel that a foggy morning has on the coast. Perhaps I should hold back on completely blowing it out and give it more of a light grey-ish tone to convey 'fogginess'.

I like the deep blacks and dark tones you've added to the lower portion image and I will definitely be playing with that the next chance I get to work on it.

As far as the second image, the toning really does help to give more of the separation I was really looking for in that image.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Winter Landscape Images

Cool ... always glad to be "in the ballpark" when trying to get in someone else' "gray matter".

BTW ... really diggin' the tree.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jtchuk

p.1 #7 · Winter Landscape Images

Thanks again Rustybug. Anyone else?

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Winter Landscape Images

Hi Josh,

Nice images - here is a slightly different interpretation of #5, going for more dteail recovery and warmer aesthetic.

And paring #2 into something simpler...with a hint of abstraction

Bob

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:41 AM
jtchuk

p.1 #9 · Winter Landscape Images

Thanks Bob.

I like the crop on #5. The added contrast on the upper portion of the larger rock really helps to add fine detail and interest as well.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:45 AM
jtchuk

p.1 #10 · Winter Landscape Images

Here is a bit of a rework on #5 taking into account Bob's crop suggestion and Rustybug's take on some darker tones. I also brought in a bit more cloud texture/detail in the sky to calm down the stark whiteness:

untitled shoot_20121230-43-2 by jtchuk, on Flickr

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Winter Landscape Images

jtchuk wrote:
Here is a bit of a rework on #5 taking into account Bob's crop suggestion and Rustybug's take on some darker tones. I also brought in a bit more cloud texture/detail in the sky to calm down the stark whiteness:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8346315073_20288fe1c2.jpg
untitled shoot_20121230-43-2 by jtchuk, on Flickr

I think the sky detail brings it further together - very nice,

Bob

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password