Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Mstic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Comparing these 3 products: Quantum Turbo 3 vs Godox PB820 vs Quantum Turbo SC Slim

or if anybody has better suggestions, which would work best in conjunction with high speed sync. The highest power I would use is 1/4 power and would like to get 1/400 or higher for at least 3-4 continuous shots.

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

I assume the difference between the two quantums is the amount or size of the battery and both supply the same amount per cycle of energy. The turbo 3 is the largest latest of the quantum line and the slim is a small package thus a smaller battery. Most of these batteries have a rating show how many full charges it will recycle on a perfect setup( new fully charged battery) and a proper operating Speedlite. These extra batteries only speed up the recycle time it doesn't allow the Speedlite to increase its power in any way per cycle. Another thing on some of the older speedlites is you can recycle them so fast that they burn them selves up from overheating.

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:16 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

I agree with Micheal.

ANY of these will get your speed light up to full after a burst. The bigger question is.. Can your speed light handle the constant bursts and recycle?

The quantum batteries can bring their own line up burst after burst. I'd like to think my 5TRd is a little more robust than a SB whatever though. I've been at events where fellows next to me cooked their lights with an external. I have to admit the look on their faces was pretty priceless..

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:20 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #4 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

ive shopped around when I was looking for an external pack for my sb900's. The Turbo 3 is a bit more powerful than the slim, but for what I needed, the slim was enough and more cost effective.

John brings up a good point. Make sure to pay attention to your speedlights and make sure you give them plenty of time to cool down in between bursts. I have seen people fry their lights trying to fire off shot after shot.

To answer your original question, I have no idea about the Godox, but out of the Quantums, the Turbo 3 is the better of the 2.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #5 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Two other options not quite as pricy are the Canon cp-e3/4 and clones. They use six AAs in the e3 and eight in the e4 models. The sync speed will be close to the Quantoms I have 3 of the e4 clones and one turbo I go to the e4 Pakistan mainly because of size. Your less likely to fry a Speedlite with one of these vs the turbo. IIRC some ove the newer speedlites have a over heat circuit to prevent frying them I think it it is the EXII series but not sure as I only have one flash that fits that series and it is the one the Turbo goes on if I'm using all my speedlites.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TMGraphics
• • •
p.1 #6 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Have you looked into a product by Al Jacobs called the "Black Box"?

http://www.aljacobs.com/

I use them and they are wonderful! He is a great guy too!

Thomas

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:03 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

TMGraphics wrote:
Have you looked into a product by Al Jacobs called the "Black Box"?

http://www.aljacobs.com/

I use them and they are wonderful! He is a great guy too!

Thomas

It's a good product but with a different goal in mind: taking lots of shots without needing to change batteries. It does not connect to the high voltage port of the flash as others do, which is what cuts the recycle times in half compared with the four internal AA batteries. For example full power shots require about 6 sec to recharge 100%. The Canon external pack or Quantum HV cut that to about 3 sec. The Black Box might cut it somewhat and hold it constant over more shots, but not cut it in half.

Regardless of what is powering the flash you need to understand how capacitors work. They can either be delivering power out to the flash or recharging. They can't do both at the same time. So the limiting factors are power setting / range (in ETTL). If at 1/4 power you can expect 3-4 equal exposures then the caps are fully drained. Then with the internals or Black Box it would take about 6 sec to fire the next 3-4 shot burst. Black Box will be slightly faster than AAs because it delivers more current and voltage doesn't drop as fast. With the HV external pack you could fire again in about 3 sec.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:16 AM
TMGraphics
• • •
p.1 #8 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Good to know! Thanks

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:02 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · [question] External battery pack and high speed sync

Check out Lumedyne. They make some great stuff in different sizes depending on your needs and their HV cables are the same as Quantums so they're compatible with everything. I have 3 tinycyclers I used with 286HV that gave me a 1.3 recycle at full power. With my Yonguo YN-560's they're about 1.7 seconds. They're also a small amount cheaper than quantum batteries with the same quality and have been around for years.

http://www.lumedyne.com/products/CYCLERS.ASP

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password