Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Post Processing for Hockey

JFreeman

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Post Processing for Hockey

Here is a photo that was under exposed, and I brightened it with a levels adjustment. But for 1250 ISO does the noise level look high to you?

Canon EOS 7D    200mm    f/2.8    1/500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:24 AM
JFreeman

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Post Processing for Hockey

Here are a few more examples right out of the camera from tonight. Same camera, same settings same lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Canon EOS 7D    73mm    f/2.8    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    130mm    f/2.8    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:58 AM
kris416
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Post Processing for Hockey

If you have the luxury of canning the OOF shots in camera or even on the computer before you display, that helps a lot with sales. It gives you more credibility as a professional rather than having a bunch of OOFs ruining your set and will lose peoples attention.

Once a parent pics a shot, then touch it up.

I constantly struggle with lighting issues as well as I have a d7000 and can't get past ISO 2500 or 3000 without there being too much noise for my liking... so if you're shooting different age groups, don't be afraid to drop shutter speed for the younger groups as they don't move as fast. That way you can let more light in and still get a pretty sharp shot in many cases. Of course the older they get, the faster they are... meaning getting that shutter speed back up.

just my two cents

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:11 AM
kris416
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Post Processing for Hockey

Also with the recent samples you just posted, it looks like you're main struggle before anything else is focus. Hockey is definitely hard at nailing sharp shots over and over, but take others advice on this thread in regards to continuous focus and one focus point in the centre of the camera. I struggled a lot when I started out but have started getting the hang of it with practice.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:14 AM
terrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Post Processing for Hockey

Someone already mentioned setting the temperature for your arena lighting. This sounds necessary with low light and uneven lighting as you shoot through glass.

Our town arena has surge lighting that casts rows of pink ice and the glass not only steals a stop, but also creates a green cast --every which way you point you get a different exposure...all underexposed. So I set my camera for tungsten and bring the images in at 3800K in lightroom and add increased saturation, etc in a preset as I select images to upload. The images must be sharp in-camera. and that's the basic when you shoot fast action in very poor light conditions at high ISO. There's not much choice.
--Another think to check is if you have dirty glass on either side. Snot, blood, sweat, puck grease, mashed chips and gravy, will do it every time.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:23 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Post Processing for Hockey

Important 7D Ai Servo setting for you to check.
I am not with my camera at the moment, but go to the continuous shooting / AI Servo setting where you can select Tracking and Focus Priority, not Priority. Also, choose the setting for tracking, not focus point priority. This will help greatly.

PM me if you can't find these two settings.

Guy

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JFreeman

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Post Processing for Hockey

Thank you to all that have taken time to help. And yes it was defiantly in the camera. I was able to shoot in decently well lit arena last weekend and had only a single rink to cover.(It was Glorious, am use to covering 2-4 arenas). This gave me time to figure out was was going on. To eliminate that it was my 70-200 2.8 I rented a 70-200 2.8 IS v2. I was able to shoot at 640 2.8 2000 First Picture. What I believe I found was that when I underexpose/less than 1-1/3 over expose it introduces a ton of noise and muds everything up resulting in a poor, not sharp picture.

Saying that I have 2 7d's and I have gone through both of them and made sure that every setting is the same, including all Cfn's. The one is a full stop slower/darker than the other one? Any ideas?

Canon EOS 7D    160mm    f/2.8    1/640s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:00 AM
JFreeman

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Post Processing for Hockey

Here is an example side by side.

Canon EOS 7D    200mm    f/2.8    1/200s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    200mm    f/2.8    1/200s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:15 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Post Processing for Hockey

terrat wrote:
Someone already mentioned setting the temperature for your arena lighting. This sounds necessary with low light and uneven lighting as you shoot through glass.

Our town arena has surge lighting that casts rows of pink ice and the glass not only steals a stop, but also creates a green cast --every which way you point you get a different exposure...all underexposed. So I set my camera for tungsten and bring the images in at 3800K in lightroom and add increased saturation, etc in a preset as I select images to upload. The images must be sharp in-camera. and that's the
...Show more

Wanna talk horrible lighting? This is an outdoor rink and the lights on one side do not remotely match the color of the lights on the other side. With no ceiling to bounce the light my setting on my D3s were 12,800 ISO, f2.8 and 1/320. I prefer to never go below 1/500 even with the little guys but sometimes you just need to get the shots.

The lights in the back are lighting the ice ad it's a nice green color, you can see the magenta in the whites on his jersey. You can also see the magenta on the boards since they are being lit by the same lights that are falling on my son (the one falling over lol) If I was to make any prints of anything shot here I'd probably just pull the saturation out of the greens.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:55 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Post Processing for Hockey

JFreeman wrote:
Thank you to all that have taken time to help. And yes it was defiantly in the camera. I was able to shoot in decently well lit arena last weekend and had only a single rink to cover.(It was Glorious, am use to covering 2-4 arenas). This gave me time to figure out was was going on. To eliminate that it was my 70-200 2.8 I rented a 70-200 2.8 IS v2. I was able to shoot at 640 2.8 2000 First Picture. What I believe I found was that when I underexpose/less than 1-1/3 over expose it introduces a
...Show more

Have you ever tried micro adjusting (I think the 7D does have the option) the focus on your lens?

Me, I try always put the focus point on the helmets cage, I'm using a D3s though and I assume I have much more options when it comes to focus points over a 7D.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:59 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Post Processing for Hockey

Going through the pictures, you've improved a lot! Great!

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password