Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

WilliamFinley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

I'm speaking with my wallet by not buying until the price comes down to a more reasonable price range.

Bill

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:38 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #2 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

RCicala wrote:
The Tamron seems to be doing OK. We had two where the glued-in second element fell out during shipping. That hasn't been repeated and I've seen no other reports of similar issues, so I think it had more to do with shipping lenses than anything real world.

The new Canon is holding up fine except for a few with the bent zoom ring I spoke of earlier.

But not a lot of experience yet - we only have a couple of dozen Tamrons and while we have a lot of the Mk II Canons they've only had a few months
...Show more

Here's 'The Camera Store's' 24-70 Canon vs Tamron shootout...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcsnsJUKhAg

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:47 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #3 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

RCicala wrote:
The new Canon is holding up fine except for a few with the bent zoom ring I spoke of earlier. ...

If anyone at Canon will lend you an ear, as you no doubt buy a LOT of their product, please let them know about it!

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

artsupreme wrote:
Monitor, you are clueless. You were the one that said the 5D3 was selling great at $3500 and the price would not drop....yeah sure buddy, carry on....

Monito makes me look like an upbeat, optimist. I thought I was grumpy!

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

You get prime-like 24mm and much better f/2.8 performance, likely better build quality, better AF on 5D3/1DX, the old one's development has been paid for and it was still on old release pricing scheme, new one is bumped up for inflation and to quickly cover new costs (most canon lenses seem a lot less expensive after ten years). And Canon does seem to have gone to a bit of a higher pricing model these days too, unfortunately, of course.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #6 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Because its exceptional. And it really isn't almost twice the cost of the first one now - although it was when it came out.

If you need it, you'll have to pay the price or wait.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:37 AM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.2 #7 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

note the current street price is $2050. Still awfully expensive.

I appreciate its performance @ f/2.8. I only owned the verI for a couple months, but I was shying away from using it at 2.8 based on sharpness.

I also appreciate how it is lighter & more compact than ver I.

Its zoom is like buttah. I'll have to avoid banging it around for fear that might change .

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:46 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

RCicala wrote:
The old lens had centering, tilt, and distance adjustments on the very large front element. Whenever it was dropped there was a high risk of the front element losing adjustment which affected resolution, particularly at 70mm more than at 24mm. The new lens has a nonadjustable front element, less affected by drops.

The helicoid collars in the old lens were prone to wear out over time. When one broke off the barrel became slightly off center, again affecting resolution. The new barrel has far less weight than the old one, hopefully reducing wear and tear. The helicoid collars are larger
...Show more

Great info!

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:25 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.2 #9 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

The current price for the 24-70 is just crazy. In the UK we are talking 1900. I purchased my 24-70 MKI at 950 a few years ago and there is just no way that the new one is worth twice the price. Even if the price comes down I have no plans to upgrade. If you want 24-70 & 70-200 your now talking nearly 4k which I am sure put these lens well out of most people's range.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:16 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #10 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

WilliamFinley wrote:
I'm speaking with my wallet by not buying until the price comes down to a more reasonable price range.

Bill

Totally fine, but mine has paid for any price drop already. Just depends on if you need it now or not. Same thing with many items, early adopters pay extra.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password