Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Pixel Perfect wrote:
7D II Hail Mary Specs

24MP New generation sensor, based on 0.18um process, 2 stop better DR, superior to EXMOOR for noise and colour, similar shadow performance. 1 stop cleaner at pixel level than 7D at all ISO's. Weaker AA filter will allow superb level of detail at lower ISO's
ISO 50-51200.
9fps, dual digic Vb - improved version of V+
30 RAW with UDMA 7 and UHS-I cards, unlimited jpgs
All new 47pt AF based on 5D III AF, -2.5 - 20EV. Improved Servo algorithm compared to 5D III
Larger * button to help with those that use it for AF
3.3" 900*600 1.62MP
...Show more

PixelP....WOW
I could dig that piece of kit...can we add a kick-arse updated ECF like the EOS-3 has...please.
Oh, full HDMI out as well...
Where do I sign

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:13 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

jorkata wrote:
Sensible predictions.

I truly hope, though, that this time around the 7DII will use a different sensor than the 70D/Rebels.
Like a 16-18mp sensor vs 24mp for the rest of the 1.6x models.

Or, if all 1.6x models use the same sensor, I hope that it will be a 20mp sensor.

Why put 24mp on the sports camera (7DII), when the landscape camera (6D) has 'just' 20mp .

The 7D is also the wildlife camera so lots of users like max reach out of it so it might bump to 24MP (although I don't think too many would scream if it did stay 18MP).

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:25 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

ggreene wrote:
On a sports body I'd much rather they concentrate their efforts on high ISO then low ISO. Not saying you can't have both but 1/2 stop improvement at high ISO seems pretty marginal at best. Exmor technology is not going to help when you need shutter speed in low light.

The thing is I'm not sure you can really do all that much more than 1/2 stop better SNR at high iso and improving more than 1 stop DR at high ISO might be very expensive. The current Canons have SNR rather close to the technical limits that can be done with this sort of tech (and not so far off from what could be done in any tech) so it's more that they are already doing so well there that I doubt they can make a huge jump. At low ISO there is tons of room for them to get better in terms of DR (at high ISO too, although more than a stop there might start requiring costly stuff, not sure). If they use the new process and column ADC the low ISO stuff should simply happen. It wouldn't be that they were trying to forget about high ISO. If they could bump high ISO by 6 stops vs low ISO DR by 3 stops, yeah that might make more sense for the 7D2, but I do not believe that is even physically possible no matter what tech they could come up with.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

And I also predict that they still won't allow a working autoiso in sub-1 series bodies. That is still another generation beyond the next.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:31 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

skibum5 wrote:
The 7D is also the wildlife camera so lots of users like max reach out of it so it might bump to 24MP (although I don't think too many would scream if it did stay 18MP).

Bumsey, I think there is no point in jacking up MP without addressing the ISO noise problem....those two enhancements have to go hand-in-hand in order for 7DII to succeeed in a big way, no major compromises.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

jorkata wrote:
If the 7DII is a replacement for the 1D IV, what will replace the 7D then?
A new Rebel with 19 AF points and 7fps?

That would be the 70D.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:59 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Whatever canon releases, it needs to focus and listening to everyone spec & price. The day of their $3.5K and $7K bodies are over.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sqdstf
• •
p.3 #8 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Darn it... No 39 MP Canon 5D MKIIIn at $2.5k

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

PetKal wrote
I think there is no point in jacking up MP without addressing the ISO noise problem....those two enhancements have to go hand-in-hand in order for 7DII to succeeed in a big way, no major compromises.

There has been a Canon patent for taking a preexposure shot, quickly calculating the over and under exposed pixels then taking a second shot by varying the exposure for those pixels by 1-4 stops. Fully electronic shutter, both on and off, for all pixels. The longer exposed pixels are time averaged; in fact all of the pixels are time adjusted in the output so that their mean exposure time lines up. This strategy may yield greater dynamic range for the brightest pixels and less noise for the darkest. Its a bit like a HDR on a pixel by pixel basis. Fine tuning the control algorithms would be new ground and might take considerable devlopment. If this were done for a 46 mp sensor, it would need a lot of very fast processing power with a deep capacity battery, but that would be available in a 1DX style body.
Perhaps some variant of this would be the new Canon SOTA sensor tech everyone has been waiting for.
Mike

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:15 AM
ausemmao
• •
p.3 #10 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Pixel Perfect wrote:
7D II Hail Mary Specs

24MP New generation sensor, based on 0.18um process, 2 stop better DR, superior to EXMOOR for noise and colour, similar shadow performance. 1 stop cleaner at pixel level than 7D at all ISO's. Weaker AA filter will allow superb level of detail at lower ISO's
ISO 50-51200.
9fps, dual digic Vb - improved version of V+
30 RAW with UDMA 7 and UHS-I cards, unlimited jpgs
All new 47pt AF based on 5D III AF, -2.5 - 20EV. Improved Servo algorithm compared to 5D III
Larger * button to help with those that use it for AF
3.3" 900*600 1.62MP
...Show more

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is why it's not always fair to rag on camera companies for feature implementations. Pixel perfect is hardly a marketing drone, yet even he ballsed up the auto ISO implementation - no accommodation for lenses with IS with a 2 or 4/FL choice! And that price...

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:04 AM
ausemmao
• •
p.3 #11 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

skibum5 wrote:
The thing is I'm not sure you can really do all that much more than 1/2 stop better SNR at high iso and improving more than 1 stop DR at high ISO might be very expensive. The current Canons have SNR rather close to the technical limits that can be done with this sort of tech (and not so far off from what could be done in any tech) so it's more that they are already doing so well there that I doubt they can make a huge jump. At low ISO there is tons of room for them to
...Show more

Once someone comes up with a way to discriminate colour without needing crazy precision (dichroic prism) or bleed issues (Foveon), or improves those, that'll give up to a straight 2 stop boost at every ISO. There's still a lot that can be done, make no mistake.

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

1DsV and 1D V - 46mp & 23mp

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Hopefully the 70D will go back to being a metal body camera.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:50 PM
keema

p.3 #14 · Canon Camera Predictions for 2013

Since this is just predictions..

It is going to be scary good the next body Canon will release

Now, AF issues is okay/really good! Fixed already from 5D mkIII and 1Dx

High ISO is also okay 5D mkIII and 1dx

what's left that needed to be fix? that low iso no noise...Dynamic Range...

I think those Canon guys will listen..hehehe I hope..

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:15 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password