Upload & Sell: Off
| p.2 #6 · 1TB Lacie External Hard Drive has failed, so many wedding photos on it :(( |
OK so I am going to be mean at first.... Why the hell do you only have 1 backup of important stuff? This is the most common and biggest mistake I see with every new photographer. THEY DONT PROPERLY BACKUP!!!
OK... now that is out of the way. I'm sorry you are going through this. I have been in your shoes before, but it was in college and I lost a few papers I had to turn in for my finals in 48 hours. Guess who drank 2 cases of redbull and got them rewritten? YEP.... Since that happened to me, I started having 2 backups at all times of anything remotely important.
Then when I started my business I added a 3rd offsite backup. Here is what we do.
1. Main computer internal drive is backed up on time machine. If the internal drive fails then we can restore it in about 2 hours or so. No big deal. If the computer and time machine fail. O well it is only the OS and apps on there anyways.
2. Drobo #1 holds all of our photos and important files. If a drive fails, and it has, we pop it out and throw a new one in. Nothing lost.
3. Drobo #2 gets plugged in daily and mirrors what was added to drobo #1. If we did not do anything then we obviously dont plug it in.
4. Drobo #3 gets stored off site and comes home once every week to make an exact copy of one of the other drobos.
5. We also have a finalized copy of every photo shoot in JPG on zenfolio too. SO if PGH blows up and I lose all 3 DROBOs then I have final files somewhere
Now I am really anal about the data and for some odd reason I think if you dont use a file for a long time it will go bad. You know like a DVD or CD going bad. HAHAHA I doubt that would ever happen but hey I am weird about my backups. SO every year we totally wipe 1 Drobo and recopy everything from another drobo back on it. That way every single file that is on the drobo has been moved and or copied at least once each year. SO a 2004 file that isnt ever opened in a few years, gets copied each year. Make sense MY OCDness
I also take it a step further. Every 3 years, the oldest drives get scrapped for new drives. Unless they already died and were replaced within that time. Last week I got 5, 3tb drives for $120 a piece. Threw them all in drobo #3. Next year drobo #1 gets new drives.