Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Hey pros, yet another "help the guy that isn't a pro" question thread.Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make sure all details were clear.

I'm tired of trying to get my monitor calibrated the hard way, with my eyes. I know that calibration hardware is the only real way to go. Problem is, times are tough and spare money is hard to come by. So I'm considering buying something like a used Xrite Eye One or Spyder 2.

Here's the thing though. My monitor is a Dell s2409w 24" LCD. It's not wide gamut, just plain ol' sRGB and a TN panel. Now don't get me wrong, I love it. I think it's a great monitor for videos and gaming. I know it's not a top tier panel for pro photo work. Sadly, I won't be able to afford one of those until who-knows-when. Knowing the restrictions working with sRGB, which is fine with me since I really don't print at all and just post to web, will an older Eye One or Spyder 2 still calibrate the monitor as best as possible (within the limitations of sRGB)?

Thanks in advance guys (and gals). Happy new years!
Aaron

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:22 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #2 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Hey folks, could I get a hand please? :/ I read that the Spyder 2 is not for wide gamut, so I'd want to avoid this then for future use when upgrading my monitor. I'd like to order one today before I head out for the night.

What's the consensus in regards to accuracy and consistency with the Spyder 4 units? After reading, I see I should avoid the Spyder 3.

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:06 PM
• •
p.1 #3 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

I think only early production Spyder3's had some issues with wide gamut monitors. I had Spyder2 with sRGB monitor, sold it, and purchased Spyder3 when I got wide gamut monitor. Both have been superb in my opinion. Once I had issue, Datacolor tech support was prompt and very helpful. I don't have any experience with Spyder4, but from what others are saying sensor is even better than v3.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #4 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards picking up the new X-rite Smile, but I'm reading a lot of not so good reviews. Has only been out a month or so, so there aren't many. But so far it looks like the negative outweighs the good quite a bit.

Unfortunately, with the Spyder 3 and buying used, I don't know if I'm getting early or late production. :/ Might just say "Bah...screw it" and get a Spyder 4.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

godfather
• • •
p.1 #5 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

I've just started looking at calibration hardware again because my old eye-one is not giving me the results that it has in the past. I'm not sure if the sensor is getting old or the new software I'm using on lion is just not compatible with it. Not sure which to recommend as I'm just starting to look myself...just be careful that it still works like new.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Thanks Godfather. After reading about these all afternoon, I'm going new. Decided on the Spyder 4 Express and will try calibrating with Argyll + dispcalGUI. I don't need all the features of the higher models. Considered the X-rite Smile, but looks like lots of issues as if it wasn't finished properly and rushed out the door in time for Christmas sales.

For $30 more, after taking shipping into account, figured I might as well play it safe and get a brand new one instead of taking any chances.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #7 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Another thing that you can do is rent the calibration gear from lensrental.com

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · Buying monitor calibration hardware used. Please help?

Edward Castro wrote:
Another thing that you can do is rent the calibration gear from lensrental.com

Didn't know I could rent calibration gear. Huh, thanks! I would consider that if it were half that price. That just seems steep to me, especially when it's another $20 for shipping round trip. The "entry level" units aren't much more, and for someone like me, that's all I need right now.

Besides, ordered the Spyder 4 Express before you posted that. Thanks though, as I'll keep that in mind when I get a wide gamut monitor in the future. Happy New Years Ed!

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:24 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password