Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Archive 2012 · 7D II?
  
 
Paul Mo
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · 7D II?


Me too. See my post about 12MP, 12FPS. It would be fantastic to be rid of the ugly 7D noise.


Jan 03, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Pixel Perfect
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · 7D II?


Paul Mo wrote:
Me too. See my post about 12MP, 12FPS. It would be fantastic to be rid of the ugly 7D noise.


It's shocking, I don't know why I bother sometimes with the 7D. But hey I'd love a stop improvement at the pixel level to go with the new AF I'm sure is coming. But 12MP, no thanks and the clock ain't turning back; it'll be 21MP minimum I'd say with all the competition offering 24MP, even though 18MP would be fine.





  Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    123mm    f/4.0    1/200s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    100mm    f/2.8    1/40s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    70mm    f/4.0    1/640s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/4.0    1/640s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Jan 03, 2013 at 09:15 AM
howard
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · 7D II?


Pixel Perfect wrote:
<snip>
But 12MP, no thanks and the clock ain't turning back; it'll be 21MP minimum I'd say with all the competition offering 24MP, even though 18MP would be fine.


I think there is a subtle kind of snobbishness of some people (I say "some") who "prefer" to have fewer pixels -- somehow it indicates they are above the "pixel race".

While I agree that MP is not everything, but at the current level -- 18MP on APS-C and 24MP on FF -- we are nowhere near exhausting the capabilities of high end lenses. I say 24MP and probably 30MP on APS-C and 50MP or more on FF may be near the limit, and sensor technology, while much matured, still has some ways to go.

Yes, I agree, the clock ain't turning back. It would be suicidal for Canon to release a 12MP DSLR at any level at this point.



Jan 03, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Paul Mo
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · 7D II?


Certainly no snobbishness on my part, Howard.

For 99% web use 12MP would be great. Files wouldn't be too large for one.

And if that, coupled with new sensor tech., drastically drove the noise down and the frame rate up...



Jan 03, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Bsmooth
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · 7D II?


It would seem the past has made everyone think that more MP are better. I think though that quality pixels vs more is actually the answer. While more seems the best way, because of past thinking. I hope that Canon has finally realized that. I think thats true, because of a recent talk I had with one of the Canon technicians. I asked him about the Mp race, and he told me that he thought that canon was thinking of going with better sensors, but without going with the giant amount of pixels that some other Mfg were going with. His example was the reduction in Mp of the "G" series newest model.
I think a happy medium would be good, right around 16 or 18Mp. If Sony can do it, I see no reason why Canon can't as well.



Jan 03, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · 7D II?


Bsmooth wrote:
I think a happy medium would be good, right around 16 or 18Mp. If Sony can do it, I see no reason why Canon can't as well.


So what do you make of the fact Nikon and Sony have several models using the 24MP APS-C sensor? Rumours have it the 7D II sensor will be entirely new for Canon and precursor to a high MP FF. If they get it right it could easily better the 18MP sensor for IQ even at the pixel level.



Jan 03, 2013 at 09:59 PM
ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · 7D II?


Paul Mo wrote:
For 99% web use 12MP would be great. Files wouldn't be too large for one.
And if that, coupled with new sensor tech., drastically drove the noise down and the frame rate up...


For typical web use you're going to be downsampling and compressing files anyways so it hardly matters what the original MP size is. This is also assuming that you can always fill the frame with your subject. Focal length limited situations are fairly common in sports which this body is geared for.

As far as noise goes I would be very happy if they got 1D4 levels out of an 18-24MP 1.6x sensor.



Jan 04, 2013 at 12:42 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sonofjesse2010
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · 7D II?


I think they will announce it not too long for now, but would expect it to actually get out in stores around may or june is my guess. I think it will have a new AF system maybe even a 5D mark III AF.

My fear is though its going to be 2k+ and many people might jump full frame, maybe thats what canon is hoping to push peope more toward FF cause the L glass cost a lot more than EF'-S and they could make more cash.

people who want just 12mp are dreaming thats never going to happen



Jan 04, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Paul Mo
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · 7D II?


ggreene wrote:
For typical web use you're going to be downsampling and compressing files anyways so it hardly matters what the original MP size is. This is also assuming that you can always fill the frame with your subject. Focal length limited situations are fairly common in sports which this body is geared for.

As far as noise goes I would be very happy if they got 1D4 levels out of an 18-24MP 1.6x sensor.


File size matters as far as processing time and storage goes. At least to me (on my budget) it does.



Jan 04, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Bsmooth
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · 7D II?


They can use 50Mp sensors If they want, but the real question is do we need it. As I said canon Techs actually said we don't need more Mp just better ones.
The other thing is file size, and I have read on more than just a few forums, how people are having issues with processing images, and its taking awhile as well, as well as the storage issues..
The 7D II has a lot of potential, lets just see what Canon does.



Jan 04, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Pixel Perfect
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · 7D II?


Bsmooth wrote:
They can use 50Mp sensors If they want, but the real question is do we need it. As I said canon Techs actually said we don't need more Mp just better ones.
The other thing is file size, and I have read on more than just a few forums, how people are having issues with processing images, and its taking awhile as well, as well as the storage issues..
The 7D II has a lot of potential, lets just see what Canon does.


Those people should upgrade their computer.



Jan 04, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Paul Mo
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · 7D II?


In that case, can you send me some money via Western Union? Thanks!


Jan 04, 2013 at 03:02 AM
ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · 7D II?


sonofjesse2010 wrote:
My fear is though its going to be 2k+ and many people might jump full frame, maybe thats what canon is hoping to push peope more toward FF cause the L glass cost a lot more than EF'-S and they could make more cash.


I don't believe people will be jumping to FF because the 7D2 is over $2K or even pushing $3K. This is a mid level pro sports body if the rumored specs are true. It's got the FPS and the pixel density that neither the 5D3 or the 6D have.

This is a purely selfish wish but now that I have a 1DX for low light/night sports a 7D2 at 10FPS/24MP 1.6x sensor would be an awesome companion body with the reach for field sports in relatively decent light.



Jan 04, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · 7D II?


sonofjesse2010 wrote:
My fear is though its going to be 2k+ and many people might jump full frame, maybe thats what canon is hoping to push peope more toward FF cause the L glass cost a lot more than EF'-S and they could make more cash.


Canon is in the business of selling all types of bodies and lenses. They could care less what model consumers buy as long as it is a Canon. A greatly improved 7D priced at 2k+ would certainly not make me jump to full-frame.

How much do you think a new 1DMk4 cost when it came out? There is a giant market out there for a better Canon 1.6 crop body and it is doubtful any new 1.3 crop bodies will come out.



Jan 04, 2013 at 05:30 AM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password