Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 7D II?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7D II?

rebelshooter wrote:
I would like to see the 7DII with an APS-H sensor and about 18 MP. Even with the same (or better) AF it would be awesome in my book.

That would just make it a new 1D series, not the 7D series. I would like to keep it on the APS-C for the extra reach. The only downside is the ISO performance.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:28 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7D II?

gome1122 wrote:
That would just make it a new 1D series, not the 7D series. I would like to keep it on the APS-C for the extra reach. The only downside is the ISO performance.

How do you figure that? I am saying leave it the same body, just go with the 1.3x sensor.
Did putting a FF sensor in an XXD body make it a1Ds?

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:31 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7D II?

I know a lot has been said about the 7D noise so I won't go on about it, except to say the following:
1. When I opened up my first series of 7D RAW images from a wedding my first thought was horror!! "How can my new camera be so noisy (compared to my 5Dc) ?
2. Apart from the noise the images just can't compare to full-frame, enough so much that I have just sold my entire 7D kit along with the great 10-22 and 17-55 lenses from Canon.
3. The 7D 2 if is exists must make improvements to the sensor,
Just my experience, FWIW.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7D II?

marko1953 wrote:
I know a lot has been said about the 7D noise so I won't go on about it, except to say the following:
1. When I opened up my first series of 7D RAW images from a wedding my first thought was horror!! "How can my new camera be so noisy (compared to my 5Dc) ?
2. Apart from the noise the images just can't compare to full-frame, enough so much that I have just sold my entire 7D kit along with the great 10-22 and 17-55 lenses from Canon.
3. The 7D 2 if is exists must make improvements to the sensor,
Just
...Show more

Actually you did in fact get into 7D noise. Your thoughts couldn't be much stronger or clearer than "... horror!! "How can my new camera be so noisy" and "apart from the noise the images just can't compare to full-frame, enough so much that I have just sold my entire 7D kit."

While I prefer my 5D2 I must say larger prints from my 7D are cleaner than any APS-C I owned before it, including the 10D, 20D, 40D and 50D. Just as long as I realize it is an ISO 100 to 800 camera I'm a happy camper. ISO 640 (my fav "high" ISO on the 7D):

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:32 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7D II?

I didn't say I didn't want to get into 7D noise, I said I didn't want to go on about it. So I made a simple short statement with a little example of my own personal experience. Yes my comments were strong, reflecting my personal experience at the time.

I have also owned the 10D, 20D and 40D but can't agree with you as I never saw low ISO noise like that until the 7D.
You mentioned large prints, You do know that prints tend to reduce noise production.
Nice image that you posted to support your argument. Did you use any noise reduction? if not then it is a fine example of what can be achieved with correct exposure. Maybe the ISO 640 is just right for the 7D?
I can get rid of the noise with LR3 but I was talking about when I first opened up the first RAW file.
Just relating my own experience that others may find helpful, however we each have our own perceptions and experience that's what makes these forums such a great way to learn form others. I could counter-post a noisy 7D image at ISO 200 but I said I didn't want to go on about it so I will stop there. Best wishes.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7D II?

As long as the 7D II has better AF, I don't care if it has the same amount of noise.

Canon EOS 7D    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    700mm    f/5.6    1/500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7D II?

I found ISO 160, 320 and 640 to be cleanest on the 7D. ISO 200, 400 and 800 are a notch more noisy. On the rare occasions when I need a little more, ISO 1250 is better than 1600.

I spent most of my life shooting slow chromes (ISO 25, 64 and 100), so I'm amazed it's so easy to shoot at ISO 100 or higher. I recall 10 years ago how gritty skies were when shot with Velvia and Sensia at ISO 100. Heck those same skies are much cleaner at ISO 4 or 5 times higher on the 7D. Life is so easy now I find it hard to complain about a wee bit of noise in 7D files. I don't normally use ISO 3200 but I tried it when I was testing a new lens on my 7D a couple years ago (no NR applied):

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7D II?

With a noticeably better sensor a 7DII would sell like hot cakes.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 7D II?

We'd be the first in line.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Garylv
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 7D II?

Gochugogi wrote:
I found ISO 160, 320 and 640 to be cleanest on the 7D.

Cool shot, Peter. Saw it on your website, I like to check in there for reviews & updates occasionally. And a little inspiration sometimes! Happy New Year

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

convergent
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 7D II?

Imagemaster wrote:
As long as the 7D II has better AF, I don't care if it has the same amount of noise.

+1 here. My interest in a 7D II would be purely for wildlife and other outdoor stuff where I need lots of reach as a priority, and not as much of a low light situation. I am sure it will see marginal improvements in noise, but I seriously doubt it will see any dramatic improvement unless the drop the 1D4 sensor in it, which I'm sure someone in Canon has considered. And if they do create a 7DII type body from the 1D4 sensor, I doubt it would be called a 7D anything... more likely it would be a 3D. I can see the possibility of a 3D with the build of the 5D3, a slightly improved autofocus and drive speed of the 7D, and the sensor from the discontinued 1D4. My guess is that would be a hot selling camera. I don't see them bringing the amazing 1DX/5D3 autofocus to any bodies that are not full frame, because it the grid would be too big for the sensor and they aren't going to invest in a new one for anything other than the flagship. I still can't believe they let it be had in the 5D3 also. I suppose they could go with the 1D4 autofocus with some mods to give it the user interface/menus of the 5D3/1DX. But if it were simply a 1D4 guts in a 5D3 build body, the price would surely be on par with the 5D3, not the 7D.

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:16 PM
howard
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 7D II?

24MP or bust!

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:18 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 7D II?

Much better sensor or bust

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 7D II?

vchowdhary wrote:
Much better sensor or bust

Exactly. You could keep the same spec but reduce noise and it would sell. I think.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:03 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 7D II?

Man, the 7D sensor debates sure get intense. I happen to be one that thinks the sensor and ISO noise is fine, and it's going to take better AF to get me to upgrade. Probably 90% of current 7D owners don't hang out on these forums and also think the camera is fine now - a 7DII with a better sensor and no other significant improvements is not going to sell anywhere near the volume that a 7DII with better AF, dual cards, wifi, etc. and even the same sensor performance would.

It may not be the best choice to shoot a wedding, but you know what? You can, and 99% of those brides and grooms will love the results. If you need a camera capable of shooting high-ISO sports or wildlife with decent reach, Canon offers you no other choice short of spending $3K on a used 1DIV. It's actually a pretty remarkable camera, and if you need its feature set because you can't afford the alternatives, then you learn to manage its limitations, like any other tool. It certainly is far better at high ISO than the 40D I replaced with it, and its low-ISO images are not garbage either.

So yeah, I'm hoping for a 7DII with rocking AF, dual cards, etc., and hopefully sensor improvements (why not), but meanwhile I'll be happily shooting ISO4000 images of my daughter with my 7D Mark 1.

Mark

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:21 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 7D II?

Paul Mo wrote:
Personally, I'd like a 12MP, 12FPS 7DMKII with a 50% reduction in noise at a reasonable price point.

7DmkII(s) - 24MP, 8 FPS with a larger sensor for less than $1,000

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 7D II?

If the 7D II can have a better low noise sensor and just keep its present great autofocus, what we would have is a great all around camera that does everything very well, without toting around a larger 1D size camera.
Just have to wait and see, and keep on using my 20D and 1DMk2 !

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 7D II?

I like the way the current 7D turns black to grey when using 1600iso.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:39 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 7D II?

Actually it would be nice to see Canon get ballsy and regress in megapickles, just like they did from S90 to S95.

8-10MP with gapless micro lens thingies and the newest sensor with photosites the size of Montana (relatively speaking of course). Dual SD, 10 FPS (customizable) and noise performance somewhere around a nice FF camera.

Everyone's lenses turn magically sharper and their IS / hand-holding capability goes up 1 stop

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:40 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 7D II?

cputeq wrote:
Actually it would be nice to see Canon get ballsy and regress in megapickles

I was thinking the exact same thing.

10mp is too low these days, so how about a 16mp low-noise sensor and a 10fps frame rate.
Would make the 7DII a true sports camera and would be a truly bold move.

More likely, though, that the 7DII will have a 20mp sensor and 8fps, as it needs to cater to a larger audience.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:32 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password