Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Air Canada camera baggage

traveller

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Air Canada camera baggage

Thanks Len -- I'm in Barrie now too

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Air Canada camera baggage

see http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168435/0#11144544 in case it is helpful.

You will find:
1) it depends on regional or full size jet. I would buy and pack for regional so you are never disapppointed.
2) 600 v2 in a tight bag will fit in overhead of either regional or large jet, but the bag must be really tight
3) You should book a seat at the back because the bins fill back to front and you want to have the option to leave it forward
4) A reasonalbe small bag 20-3n1 kata will fit under the chair with a couple of bodies and a couple of lens. I just went with 600v2/5diii/24-105/flash/1.4x in on bag (see link) and 7d/17ts/24ts/100-400 in the other bag under my seat in a crj-700

I like to bring all my lens/bodies with me to avoid baggage bashers.

No one every tests the weight if they are on your back in Air Canada or WestJet or United.

Scott

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:06 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.2 #3 · Air Canada camera baggage

Practice-lift it a few times once packed, and learn to make it look easy. If it is just another bag, no-one will give it a second look. If you struggle to get it on your shoulder, someone might figure "that's too heavy, I need to do my job."

And yes, when they say "gate-check that" the simple reply "Lots of camera gear" will make them look to the person behind you.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.2 #4 · Air Canada camera baggage

From over 30 years of flying around the world I'd say:
a) Never put anything valuable in checked luggage.
b) For regional jets where you hand your bag "under the aircraft wing on the tarmac" and get it back the same way be careful another pax doesn't walk away with your bag by accident.
c) Prepare to be flexible (i.e if you see them weighing carry-on at check-in then stuff your pockets or hand off to a friend/partner)...they don't weigh at boarding.
d) Never be the last to board ...when everyone else has taken up every single square inch of storage space...that's a good reason for them to try to check your bag.
e) And my tried and true rule: The more frazzled the agent, the friendlier and more sympathetic you should be.

And far from standing up for Air Canada (who I don't really like), you should be aware that your luggage is handled by many different people other than their employees, including TSA agents, customs agents, airport workers, and employees from other airlines who may be contracted out to service your flight.

The same is true for check-in and gate agents. In many airports, especially in Europe, the airport supplies the agents; your airline might only have one or two employees supervising the flight. Depending on the country (and the culture) these agents may be tougher (or the complete opposite) in enforcing your airline's weight and carry-on rules.

Funnily enough the only inconvenience I've ever had was on a flight out of Montreal to Vegas with 40 plus lbs of camera gear...the security agent (equivalent of U.S. TSA) opened my bag and was so impressed with the array of camera bodies, lenses and other gear that he kept me for 15 freakin minutes as he gingerly pulled every piece out to admire it. Turns out he was a novice photog and was simply genuinely interested in all my gear!

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottiet
• •
p.2 #5 · Air Canada camera baggage

I am Canadian and have flown several times with Air Canada. I cannot agree more that Air Canada sucks. The company is poorly managed and needs to tank so others companies can come in. I would never trust them with my camera gear, always carry it with me.

If you have the option Westjet or Porter airlines are far far better.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Monito
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Air Canada camera baggage

It's easier and cheaper to buy an entire wardrobe on short notice than an entire set of specialized photography gear on short notice. Costa Rica is not like Hong Kong with regard to lenses, for example.

Check your clothes, not your gear.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:00 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Air Canada camera baggage

scottiet wrote:
I am Canadian and have flown several times with Air Canada. I cannot agree more that Air Canada sucks. The company is poorly managed and needs to tank so others companies can come in. I would never trust them with my camera gear, always carry it with me.

If you have the option Westjet or Porter airlines are far far better.

And you would trust Westjet with your gear. Never. Always carryon your gear, even if that means leaving some at home.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Air Canada camera baggage

I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles with Air Canada in North America and overseas, and their service has always been superb.

My experiences with WestJet have been the exact opposite; I would rather drive to my destination than risk being stranded by WestJet.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password