Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

louloulou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I'm have rather ordinary sight, but I don't shoot with my glasses on. I have prescription sunnies which I wear on top of my (short hair) head. I adjust the diopter for my right eye which has astigmatism. The state driving authority deems me fine to drive without glasses but I always wear them driving anyway, I just find them uncomfortable to wear looking through the viewfinder.
I hate wearing glasses (I've needed glasses since I was age 13) and I tried contacts once for work, but they irritated my right eye so badly I couldn't last the whole wedding with it in.

I have noticed after when I'm editing with glasses on, that I have been missing things, like...I don't remember that kids having eczema all over his face during the portrait session...

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Interesting to see the little differences shooting with glasses.

Me ...shooting all the time with glasses. No issues with seeing the interior of the view box or view finder.
Shooting in summer time .... glasses slide down nose ... only once an issue. but more because everybody was dealing with high heat here in the oven ...as we like to call it.

Not really an issue shooting at all.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:21 PM
VickiB
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I am not a wedding shooter, but I have some input on this topic. My last pair of glasses was basically ruined by using them while taking photos. One problem was what you mentioned--getting the lenses scratched when I used my film cameras without rubber eye cups. When I used cameras with rubber eye cups, they ended up slowly but surely rubbing the anti-glare coating from my glasses. The third problem arises because I am left-eyed. My thumb always makes marks on the right lens of my glasses! All i all, I have stopped wearing them while shooting. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:29 PM
nodal

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

The only time my glasses cause me grief is when I shoot with the sun low and behind me, which I like for wildlife photography. The reflections off the back of my eyeglass lenses make it almost impossible to see anything thru the view finder. The Hoodman eye cup for glasses made a huge difference.

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:25 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I appreciate all of the valuable feedback and input, so much good info has been brought up.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:33 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I don't see well thru the eyepiece with glasses, I always put my contacts in. Maybe I hold my head at an angle or something but glasses don't work.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:41 PM
g-money
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Biggest issue I have is like others have stated. Sweat in the summer! Occasionally going from one temp extreme to another they will fog up and you have to stop and deal with that.

Greg

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:48 PM
jterps

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I wear glasses all the time when shooting. Like you I need them to be able to see the LCD and the buttons on my camera. There are some drawbacks but Iíve learned to live with them.

One thing I would caution you against is getting lenses that darken automatically when you go outside into the sun. I love that feature for ordinary use but when itís really bright out and the lenses get really dark I can hardly see the images and menus on my LCD screen. At times I have to take my glasses off to see the screen. I am going to get another pair of glasses without the darkening feature just for photography.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

i have only one minor issue when i wear my prescription sunglasses (i have polarized lenses) - the 5D3 chimp screen is sometimes mostly black in certain lighting conditions. apparently this is due to the orientation of the glass, or so i've heard. however as an old guy, i'm used to holding my head up and looking under my glasses.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Hey there Sheri, I'm from your neck of the woods so I understand the importance of eyewear. My wife and I are both shortsighted so we both wear specs when shooting. We also sometimes switch to contacts with polarizing sunglasses since it can be very sunny in the ATL. It's not really a problem shooting with the VF but I do understand it can be a little uncomfortable for people who don't want to have their face plastered on the EVF/LiveView screen. They make extenders for the rubber eyepieces that you can pop onto the VF for those cases. There are also Loupes you can purchase so you can shoot a la Spielberg style. In ATL the sun can get so strong that you can't see the LCD. In those cases, I would either go with a loupe like the Zacuto ones out there, or get a polarizing filter out to view the LCD.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Deborah Kolt
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

If you are taking glasses off to shoot, putting them on top of your head quickly deforms the bows and loosens the screws. Plus, they can slip off your head unnoticed and be lost or stepped on. (I once spent nearly an hour after a game searching the sidelines of a field for a pair that went missing during a shoot in order to be able to drive home.) The solution I found was La Loop, basically an eyeglass necklace. They come in myriad styles for men and women; many of them look like elegant jewelry. Works great and has saved my glasses from continual abuse. They also look much more chic than granny chains.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:55 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I normally change to contacts when shooting wedding, in summer with glasses it becomes bit tricky as I sweat a lot. Also with contacts it is much easier as I dont have to clean my glasses often.

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:38 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

just wanted to come back and update... finally got my glasses a few days ago, just practicing shooting via viewfinder and reviewing the LCD screen... and so far all is well. it is definitely going to take some getting used to. I am lining up some model shoots and will be wearing my glasses to give myself a good practice run. Oh, and I found out that I don't have to put my glasses right up to the view finder to see what I need to see.... which is awesome since I don't really want to funk up my glasses. I know next I need to get a good system for cleaning off my glasses like some of you have mentioned when it is all humid and hot, etc. needing to clean them off during the work day. Anyone use the disposable lens cleaning wipes for this reason?

I appreciate all of the input so far, it has been super helpful.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Normally warm breath and a micro fiber cloth will do for touch ups. A small spritzer bottle of alcohol and water will remove the face oil and sweat. Sams Club Optical Department used to sell the cleaning solution with free refills (if you ever remember to take the bottle with you while shopping).

Ivory bar soap rubbed onto the lens will help with fogging.

An eyepiece extender also helps to keep nose prints off the screen.

Never use any kind of bath or facial tissue for cleaning as these will scratch the lens coatings. The disposable lens wipes are fine.

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Sheri, there are lots of sunglass hut places in the ATL region. They have a free refill kit for lens and glasses cleaning. I normally just run in and fill up my pocket size spray when I run low, I also keep a microfiber cloth with me in my pockets.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:36 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

thanks for all the info, I am coming up with my game plan. I have super oily skin, so I have to use something to clean with for sure. for shoot days where I need to have it on me, I will try the wipes since they are easy to carry. I got me a cloth that has a thin case/pouch so it doesn't get funked up in my pocket I had seen the refill thing at walmart optical when I was in there, I think that is pretty much the norm for most of the optical shops since I overheard them telling a customer/patient at another optician the same thing about the refills for free.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
The Box

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

anybody ever see these? http://www.petapixel.com/2010/02/24/pma2010glasses-for-photographers/

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:40 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I never saw that before, very interesting

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Deborah has the right idea. Because I wear glasses with large lenses to improve my peripheral vision my eyes are more than a centimeter from the center of the corrective lenses. This means I cannot quite see the entire field of view in the viewfinder while wearing the glasses. Also, light leak reduces the quality of what I do see. So I use the diopter adjustment and work without glasses.

If I am taking pictures at an event where I need to switch back and forth between scanning the area around me and using the viewfinder, I attach a strap to my glasses, like the kind people use for white water rafting (what Deborah called a "la Loop"), so I can quickly pull my glasses off my face to take a photo. This has worked well for me.

However, if your eyes tolerate contacts, that is the best solution.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

Lleuallen wrote:
I have two problems with glasses. In the summer I sweat and it drips from my forehead to the inside of the glasses. I press my eye closely and with force to the eyepiece: this rubs my brow against the inside of the glasses and smudges them badly. Sure you can clean the glasses, but every 5 minutes is a bit much. It got to be a real pain. I solved the issue by getting glasses that are appropriate for camera use rather than style. I use a goggle style that has a foam strip across the top. This prevents
...Show more
I had these same issues. sweat on the lenses, glasses sliding down my nose, etc. drove me nuts.

I actually went and got contacts just because this, and it's great. I don't wear them all the time, but if I know I'm going to be shooting a lot the glasses stay home.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:39 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password