Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

The Leica is *not* a luxury fashion item, it is an expensive, but fully functional camera with very high image quality, and some of the best lenses made. Some people may *treat* it like a fashion or luxury item, but it is no more so than any other desirable camera. Is the Holga/Diana a fashion item, just because it is fashionable to use them? Of course not.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:52 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

I think a better title might have been: "How has the digital age changed Leica, and what's next?"

But that wouldn't be as sesantional as it doesn't lead off with a presumptious, loaded question.

I hope this era doesn't get assigned the moniker of "The I-(product) era", in the ledger of history. I feel that there are many things in the world that are more imporant from a societal standpoint, than couching it in terms of consumer's obsessions with miniaturized multi-function digital devices that most people ditch ever two to four years, for something newer.

But farther afield, say in fifty years or so, will consumers even still use objective lenses to capture imagery? That's where it is interesing to speculate, for me personally.

Happy (impending) New Year, all!

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:15 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

carstenw wrote:
The Leica is *not* a luxury fashion item, it is an expensive, but fully functional camera with very high image quality, and some of the best lenses made. Some people may *treat* it like a fashion or luxury item, but it is no more so than any other desirable camera. Is the Holga/Diana a fashion item, just because it is fashionable to use them? Of course not.

No Leica camera has any image quality whatsoever without a lens attached to it.

Also, after having shot primarily with 6x7 film using a Mamiya 7, I can say that 35mm film doesn't compare to 6x7 in terms of image quality. I've scanned sharp 35mm negatives with a Flextight and there's just no comparison.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

Yep, probably only super-high mpix MF sensors can sorta match 6x7, but no can match 4x5".

But simply put, Leica lens allow to get highest possible IQ from those 36x24mm. Dont think its luxury or fashion, I take it as "just" best in its own class.

Seems according calendar, that its 1st of January 2013. So, all be well, have a good light and get some nice photos this year. Or, just keep being alive and healthy.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

joakim wrote:
I wouldn't sell any of my organs, I am too attached to them.

(Finish of old year with bad joke. Check.)

Heh, its not bad. Giggled a bit, tho.. Glenfiddich might have something to do with that too.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:33 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

Yep, probably only super-high mpix MF sensors can sorta match 6x7, but no can match 4x5".

Which itself cannot match 8x10. I saw multiple 40x50 prints from 8x10 negatives, and it's startling to realize that that size doesn't even push the capabilities of an 8x10 negative.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

I saw just scans from 8x10, but I agree. Unfortunately both 8x10 and 4x5 are really expensive to shoot.. and really no reasonable digital equivalent available.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:20 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Bloomberg: Can Leica survive the iPhone era

luminosity wrote:
No Leica camera has any image quality whatsoever without a lens attached to it.

Also, after having shot primarily with 6x7 film using a Mamiya 7, I can say that 35mm film doesn't compare to 6x7 in terms of image quality. I've scanned sharp 35mm negatives with a Flextight and there's just no comparison.

I always wanted to shoot the Mamiya 7... but I'm no longer interested in shooting film.
While 35mm film might not compare to 6x7 film, '35mm' FF digital from a high-rez sensor will be much better than 35mm film and will rival medium format film images for image detail. Naturally, there is a look to images as the capture format increases in size that can't be duplicated by something smaller.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password