FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Help me pick a full frame body

chuck77
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help me pick a full frame body

James R wrote:
Chuck77, It comes down to preference. RRRoger would not trade his D800 for a D4 and I sold my D800e because of the D4. The D800e will provide some problems if you don't have good shooting techniques. If you want a pro body, then buy a gently used D3s. Otherwise, buy a D800. I looked at your photos, which are pretty eclectic and basically snapshots. You might find more pleasure learning post processing and the basics about exposure, ISO, and shutter speed (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure... is a good starting point). I don't mean this as criticism. This is
...Show more

James R, you are absolutely right. I will definitely look into that book. I haven't had any formal training in photography (self taught), so anything I can learn is a plus! You mentioned that the D800E will provide some problems with improper techniques. I was under the impression that it's the exact same camera as the D800, but with slightly sharper image quality. Could you elaborate?

I tried out both the D800 and D600 with the grip today at the store. The D600 does handle much better with the grip, but it did nothing to change the fact that the handgrip on the body is still way too shallow to hold comfortably. Meanwhile, the grip on the D800 is excellent, and is alot more like what I am used to with my gripped Canon 40D. The bad news is that the D800 grip is $350! I will probably wait for the price of the grip to go on sale later.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:41 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help me pick a full frame body

chuck77 wrote:
James You mentioned that the D800E will provide some problems with improper techniques. I was under the impression that it's the exact same camera as the D800, but with slightly sharper image quality. Could you elaborate?

I tried out both the D800 and D600 with the grip today at the store. The D600 does handle much better with the grip, but it did nothing to change the fact that the handgrip on the body is still way too shallow to hold comfortably. Meanwhile, the grip on the D800 is excellent, and is alot more like what I am used to
...Show more

That basically came from Nikon's technical manual, but, using a tripod I believe is in all their manuals. If you Google the D800e and handhold technique, you will find a variety of opinions. Some photographers have tightened up their technique, which is not a bad thing, regardless of the camera you shoot. I wouldn't worry about it. You can put the camera in P mode and just shoot a variety of lighting situations. That will tell you much about your camera holding technique. I only owned the D800e for a few months but found myself shooting at shutter speeds 2 to 3 times faster than the lens FL and had not problem with image sharpness. The most important aspect of the D800 is the glass you mount on it. Cheap glass on this mega pixel machine seems like a waste to me.

I loved the D800e, but I just couldn't get beyond the handling. Coming from pro bodies, I just didn't find the D800e comfortable in hand. That was my issue so I moved on to the D4.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Tanegashima
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help me pick a full frame body

Yes, the D800 is better, but do you need the best camera out there? I'd better start saving for a Medium Format System!

The digital camera is the worst investment in photography, you just need to make a balanced investment and don't think about new cameras in +-5 years. Don't waste money on those, buy better lenses, tripod equip., lightning, filters, if you need those.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help me pick a full frame body

chuck77 wrote:
Between the D600/D800/D800E, which would you guys recommend? Is the extra money worth saving for good glass instead? I own a 85mm F1,8/G currently, and access to a 14-24mm F2.8 and a 105mm F2.8 VR in my family.

My personal opinion is to put the money towards good glass first (since they retain value) and save up for a nicer body later when prices fall. I had to go through this same decision a few months back and I could've bought a D4 or a D800E, but instead I settled for the D600 (which is still a formidable body) and put the money towards a 200 F2. The D4 can wait.... I want my good glass now!

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.