Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Winter sky... image added

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Winter sky... image added

From today's cruising the county. No polarizer or IR, just straight up processing.

Thoughts?

Regards,

bob

EXIF:

Nikon D2x, ISO 200, EV -1/3, 12-24mm Tokina, FL18mm, f7.1, 1/250sec

Edited on Dec 29, 2012 at 09:53 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:42 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Winter sky... image added

The processing is a bit over the top, and above the church!
The sky is like nothing I have seen, predominantly because of the deep blacks in between the white puffs. I like it.
The church itself appears odd. The absence of detail on the roof and closed off windows gives it a simplified and illustrated look. I think I would prefer some detail but this is a stylistic rendering, so I dont get to say.
The building appears distorted, although I am not sure what corrections are indicated.
Overall, a moody, powerful image with interesting contrasts implying a strong message.
What was your goal Bob?

Scott

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Winter sky... image added

Scott,

Hmm, good question. I feel as if I'm in therapy

Goal: push the processing envelop in BW; use my 12-24 which was retrieved from under several sweaters in a dresser drawer for this purpose.

The capture was taken with this image in mind although not so dramatic as its final version. A spontaneous, not planned image although I did make a special effort to return to the church once I discovered my original target had vanished into new construction. I liked the simplicity of the structure, one of the many austere rural churches found locally - very red brick and brilliant white entrance, steeple, and metal roof.

The acuteness of the perspective is intentional and purposeful - diagonals of roof, ground, and major cloud trail originate at left.

Processing drove me nuts - moire of brick and an external AC unit that took me awhile to figure out how to remove and keep some semblance of a coherent brick pattern.

So ultimately my goal was an image with some drama and touch of eccentricity that might hold the viewer's attention. Message? Whatever message the viewer chooses to take away. Should that occur, I would feel for once I have accomplished something.

Probably TMI, but you asked.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:46 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Winter sky... image added

I like the subject, and the sky. It has a powerful impact.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Winter sky... image added

Ben,

Thanks, glad you like it.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Winter sky... image added

Bob,

It is a bit of an odd angle ... but it is compelling nonetheless. Dynamic PP of the sky pulls your eye away from the church enough that the "odd angle" isn't allowed to "take root" and become overly bothersome. Kind of a "slight of hand" diversion away from the angle/distortion, if that makes any sense.

The church kinda looks like it is breaking @ the foundation / sliding down the hill ... which sorta goes along with the dramatic sky wreaking havoc vibe.

I might like to see it straightened up a bit ... but even with it's peculiarities .... it is still compelling / captivating in ways that are hard to put your finger on / describe.

Reminds me of something that Hitchcock & Adams might have collaborated to produce.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Winter sky... image added

RustyBug wrote:
Bob,

I might like to see it straightened up a bit ... but even with it's peculiarities .... it is still compelling / captivating in ways that are hard to put your finger on / describe.

Which is exactly why I wouldn't change anything

Bob

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Winter sky... image added

And another, perhaps more perplexing - I did not take the time to clean out the extraneous wires etc. that later should it survive.

I think what also struck me in the second is the almost garish HDR-like quality, at least for a larger view, I still enjoy the uncomfortable aspect of the perspective, find it makes me want to solve the visual puzzle.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password