Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I have not been shooting much lately, I have not had as much time to be on FM as I would like...but over the holidays I did get a chance to take some photos of my most common subject these days...my daughter. I have gotten a little bored with the shots I have been taking of her, while different than most kids pictures, they are starting to get old...I have been trying to think more about capturing a moment in time from events or things we do, maybe give a sense of a story...and the cinematic style of processing lends itself to that to me...feels a little like a frame from a movie.

So far, this is the one that I have spent the most time on, and am the most happy with. I have not been able to get much crit on it from other sources...I thought the PC forum might give me a little more guidance. Any crits or advice are most appreciated.

Making the Rounds

Canon EOS 7D    85mm    f/1.8    1/200s    2000 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I do a lot of family stuff this time of year. It is not my specialty however so I like to see what others do.

I assume by the high ISO fast speed it is probably natural light. I never know how to WB natural indoor light. This looks good to my eyes. I will be watching what the more color aware regulars have to say. Good job on focus.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

Travis,

I like it - my favorite subjects (and most readily available) are the grand-kids so I understand

Some may quibble with apparent different light sources but I think with this treatment the lighting works well. Nice bokeh. The cinematic style fits the context.

Nits: Black area at top? The object (lighter) immediately behind her head along with light triangular area above bell. Based on this laptop maybe soften her cheek very slightly - noise? sharpening artifacts? Hair a tad over-sharpened? And maybe try recovering just a little detail from her ear.

But all nits and I am intentionally being picky - great image and reminder of her and the joy/innocence of youth.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

ben egbert wrote:
I do a lot of family stuff this time of year. It is not my specialty however so I like to see what others do.

I assume by the high ISO fast speed it is probably natural light. I never know how to WB natural indoor light. This looks good to my eyes. I will be watching what the more color aware regulars have to say. Good job on focus.

Ben, yes, it was available light, at night...that light was the lighting on the little kids ride she was on, and it was not very good. When shooting at 85mm on the 7D I like to keep my SS at 1/200, especially when she is the subject, she rarely stays still for more than a split second. That is what required the ISO 2000...too bad the 5D MKII arrived about three days later, it handles that ISO so much better. I probably could get away with some noise reduction on her face, but since I was going for the cinematic look, I did not want her skin to get too smooth, and un-natural looking.

The WB as seen here is done as part of the processing, and not really anywhere near what the original was, or what would be color correct, it is again part of the processing. Still working on that part...it is part of the look.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

Bob Jarman wrote:
Travis,

I like it - my favorite subjects (and most readily available) are the grand-kids so I understand

Some may quibble with apparent different light sources but I think with this treatment the lighting works well. Nice bokeh. The cinematic style fits the context.

Nits: Black area at top? The object (lighter) immediately behind her head along with light triangular area above bell. Based on this laptop maybe soften her cheek very slightly - noise? sharpening artifacts? Hair a tad over-sharpened? And maybe try recovering just a little detail from her ear.

But all nits and I am intentionally being picky -
...Show more
Light sources are what they are...I did not get to pick these, so I had to work with what I could.

The black area at the top is the letter box of the format style, there is one at the bottom too, the actual image is 2:1...so not quite the true 2.35:1 it should be. I thought about cloning out that light bar from the ride above the bell, but then the shape of the top of the bell was lost...

The cheek is definitely noise, I sharpened only the eyes, the hair might be from reducing for web and then saving it down from another location today...I will update it later with the original.

When you say recover detail in the ear, is it too dark? I see all three planes of the ear, just trying to read that one right.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I have no problem with the light sources - sometimes a hot button for others.

I missed the format style completely

Ear holds more detail on this monitor, I hate laptops and variation in display as a function of viewer's position. I'm guessing the hair is an artifact of web reduction.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I think that I will lighten the bottom edge of the actual image, so that the image has a clear end, where the letter box begins, it clearly needs attention. It won't hurt for that bottom edge to come up just a bit.

It is tough to look at images on certain screens...I wish I could always have the 24" Dell Ultrasharp I have at work...it has the best rendition of my images especially when compared to prints.

I will go back and look at the hair in the original, it is possible that I missed that one section in my sharpening layer, the more I look at it, there is a spot above the ear that looks odd.

Thanks for the crits Bob, much appreciated.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

Perhaps a little less murky?

letter box composition

conventional composition

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I thin the less murky can be applied nicely to her as the spotlight, that was the intention, but needs work. Thanks for that idea. I will re-visit that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #10 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

Travis, you have gotten some excellent advice already and the only thing I can add is tone down the yellow tones in her face, green cast most noticeable on the boat, brighten the eyes by dodging and consider a slight crop to the left side of the image. You have captured a wonderful moment in time. You have a beautiful daughter.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Cinematic Processing and Moments in Time

I meant to get online last night, and do like Ben does, post the SOOC, and a standard edit. I think it will be more apparent the look I was going for. The slight green/teal tint, especially in the shadows was part of the editing process, and part of the style of shot I was going for...I might need to link to a couple of images that better represent where I was trying to go. But I got busy last night...maybe tonight.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password