Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Drayken
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Hello all. I have been lurking around here for a while, and finally posted Here are two pics I took at the zoo. I have not edited yet, just pulled from RAW, and USM real quick, but you get the idea. I will later, go fix the blown out lighting and other defects. I would like to know which of the two is the better one? I want to keep the rights to one, and use the other to enter a contest, but I lose rights to it

http://socks4shocks.com/extra-pics/photo/monkey01.jpg

http://socks4shocks.com/extra-pics/photo/monkey02.jpg

Aug 02, 2004 at 11:37 PM
Lara
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Both are very nice.

But here is the best advice I think I would give anyone.

DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS in any contest.

Any contest that asks that is just looking for a free source of images!

lara

Aug 03, 2004 at 12:23 AM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

I agree.

Aug 03, 2004 at 01:42 AM
AReineman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Welcome to the forum! I'm with everyone else on the not losing rights concept, but I will also say that I like number 1 better. For whatever reason, I like the monkeys looking somewhat in the same direction -- gives the feel of a more singular story. I also like that the little monkey is looking right at you.

Both are great shots though.

Andrew

Aug 03, 2004 at 01:47 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

I like #1 slightly better too. If you're using the second picture, you might want (if permissable by the contest rules) to clone out the small distracting pink object on the left side.

Nice shots!

Best regards,
wenyao

Aug 03, 2004 at 02:29 AM
Randall Lake
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

# 1 and what Lara says. There are so many contests out there that don't require you to give up your rights. What contest is this?
Keep shooting and welcome to the forum.
Randall Lake

Aug 03, 2004 at 05:50 AM
Paul Kierstead
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

I like the story in #1 better. In both, the youngster is looking right at us with what appears to be concern (the clutching mom is the give away). In the second one, mom is sufficiently distracted as to being somewhat disenchanting. Now sometimes that might be the story you want to tell, but I think in this case it is not.

Great shot BTW. The background is tough, but your depth of field (i.e. shallow) does help make up for it. I might try to get one with the mother even looking a little more in our direction, though not necessarily dead at us. Show us the final products!

And the only way you give up rights to your photo's is for a lot of money. Or at least only if you win, and even that...

Granting rights to someone is one thing, giving up your own is another. I would not give up my rights outside of winning/placing (i.e. top 3) under any conditions, and even those only if the rights reverted back to me after a period of time.

Added:
I realize of course I am anthropomorphizing with the monkeys, but it seems appropriate here.

Aug 03, 2004 at 06:47 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

A great first post. # 1 is the one I like best. And don't enter the contest

Lars

Aug 03, 2004 at 04:22 PM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Thanks guys and gals. The story: There was a male in there also, and the mother was deathly afraid to let the baby go. I assume the male would not be gentle with the baby. It was cute, the baby was squirming all over the place, and momma just kept pulling it in. The shots were through handprinted, smudged glass, so I got lucky they came out fairly clear. The one where she is looking up, the male was on a rope, up above, and she was keeping an eye on him.

About the contest, it is a simple one. The Cleveland Zoo and a grocery store. 1st prize is $100 gift card and family pass ($65). Not much in prizes, but I have only been shooting for about 6 months, and have never even attempted to sell anything. (don't know where. I was told some online agencies can help, then get a commision, but I have no idea where to find them, or who is a good agency. Any suggestions?) The zoo gets the rights, and I quote, "I am registering my own photo to Cleveland Metroparks Zoo's Photo Safari Contest. I certify that my photo was taken at the C.M.Zoo. I grant C.M.Zoo permission to publish my photo in thier publications or advertisements and to exhibit my photo at C.M.Zoo events and to abide by the rules of this contest."

Hmm, now that I actually typed it out, it doesn't say they get the rights, it just says they have permission to print it and use it for free, right Does this mean I could still sell it elsewhere? I guess I will try to call them, but I doubt I will get anyone knowledgeable. They will most likely just guess for an answer. hmmm.

Aug 03, 2004 at 07:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Drayken,

I chatted with you about the 1st image over on DPR a few weeks ago. I too like the first photo better. However, as I mentioned on DPR, darkening the sunlit area could be addressed by re-processing the RAW and combining. You posted a version of this image on DPR after doing this, which improved it quite a bit IMHO. I would make that suggestion again here.

Glad to hear that they don't get the rights, but it might be best to inquire and get clarified what the extent of the free usage would be. I wcertainly would not want them to be able to submit a photo of mine to a stock house where they would then get the benefit of that income instead of me. While I don't think that is likely, it couldn't hurt to verify it.

Once again, I really love this photo!

= Ed =

Aug 03, 2004 at 07:55 PM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Edward, your advice about darkening the sunlit area was great, and I definitely plan to do it again, for this photo. I mentioned in my first post, up top, that I plan to fix the blown areas. (I think I did, lol). That tip actually made me go back into a few of my other shots, and helped fix those also I just pulled these two out of RAW, really quick, to get the opinions of which one, and about the contest. I will definitely be spending some time editing them.

Aug 03, 2004 at 08:14 PM
drdrew
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

funny, i gotta go against the grain...i like #2 personally...like the mother is more intense...

what is she looking at? it just has more motion and emotion to me.

but obviously i'm outnumbered.

Aug 03, 2004 at 08:18 PM
pgautier1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

I have to go with 2 also. To me, having the mother looking an a completely different direction emphasizes an intimate connection with the baby. Having said that, though, I thing the bright lighting on the mothers face competes a little too strongly for main subject status. I believe that is why #1 is getting the votes. I don't know if you can de-emphasize (darken) the mothers face enough in the 2nd to make it work better, but that is what I would try.

Pat

Aug 03, 2004 at 10:25 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Drayken wrote:
Edward, your advice about darkening the sunlit area was great, and I definitely plan to do it again, for this photo. I mentioned in my first post, up top, that I plan to fix the blown areas. (I think I did, lol). That tip actually made me go back into a few of my other shots, and helped fix those also I just pulled these two out of RAW, really quick, to get the opinions of which one, and about the contest. I will definitely be spending some time editing them.

Great. I'd love to see what you end up submitting - if that's allowed

= E d=

Aug 03, 2004 at 11:16 PM
jamez
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

I'm with drdrew, I like #2 for the same reason, what is she looking at?

Awsome photos! The colours are wicked.

Jamez

Aug 05, 2004 at 12:51 AM
RayFotis
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

#2 is my favorite.

Makes her seem more "protective".

Awesome colors !

Ray

Aug 05, 2004 at 01:23 AM
MissMouse
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

no you are not outnumbered I also like number 2.

Aug 05, 2004 at 01:51 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My first post here, need some opinions please.

Wow! Now that's cute!!! I especially like the 2nd one with the mother looking up at the light.

Aug 05, 2004 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password