Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Pics from a kayak

Hawkowl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pics from a kayak

Thanks Tim,
A.D. is definitely a tough one but I've sure learned to appreciate all the little things in life that people often take for granted, as simple as a walk together, a smile of recognition! Priceless!:-) I live in a small community and will have to travel some distance to try out any kayak which is why I've been on-line 'shopping' and am asking questions. It is my understanding that the Hobie is good in shallow water (6") because the drive mechanism tucks up against the kayak and that the Native needs 12". Wouldn't it be great to have a kayak developed for photographers with a dry box for gear and a built-in tripod or?:-) As you mention, I like the idea of not having movement from paddling and perhaps water dripping from it (making a supposition here). The lake I want to kayak on is pretty shallow in spots so I will definitely have to concern myself with clearance. Thanks for the input!
Regards
Marcia

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:38 PM
dalite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pics from a kayak

Ed's got it all with the Pungo Angler. EndoRando, those are super shots.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
mpoole
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pics from a kayak

Marcia, another prime consideration is the weight of the boat itself. Some of the Hobies can run 80+ pounds which might require a trailer. My 13 foot Necky is 45 pounds and no problem to put on the roof. Some people like inflatables for their stability and minimal storage requirements.
You might try a search on "kayak fishing". This is a growing sport and they are likely looking for the same things as we are - stability, etc

Good luck and get out there!

Mike

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Hawkowl

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pics from a kayak

Hi Mike, I consider myself fairly strong which is why my neck/shoulders have decided to protest and one of the reasons I was leaning towards pedal power. I had seen something that you put on the side of your vehicle to allow you to lift a kayak and also wheels for pulling the kayak but 80#! I think back to the drawing board is in order. A trailer is definitely out and I'm not comfortable with the idea of an inflatable because of deadheads, etc. One thing is sure - I'm going to get out on the water somehow! I now have sooo many options!:-) Thanks for your input.
Regards
Marcia

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Hawkowl

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pics from a kayak

Hi Birdfreak12, I'm very interested in any input regarding photography from a yak which is why I asked on this thread if anyone had any experience using pedal-powered yaks for photography. My apologies if I appeared to shift the direction of Your thread as it was not my intent! Still learning!:-)
Regards
Marcia

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:58 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pics from a kayak

I have a Hobie and am about start taking my camera out on my yak. As far as shallow water, you can lock the fins flush against the bottom of the yak. For beach launches, well all launches actually, I keep the fins out until I'm in deep enough water to put them in place, just use the paddle for a few stroke. I hope the weather cooperates this coming weekend as I plan to attempt my first photos from my yak. My Hobie is the Pro Angler 14 which is 13'6" and at least 80lbs. It's definitely my heaviest kayak yet but no doubt the most stable. I cannot wai to try taking some pics from my yak. I don't have any experience taking pics from my yak but have spent lots of time f.ishin from them if you have any questions, please ask way.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pics from a kayak

Hi,

Lakes are all frozen now in MN, but in the warmer months this is one of my favorite ways to photograph.

I have a Native Watercraft "ultimate 12 tegris" and really like it. Light and maneuverable.

One thing that I've done is put a small electric trolling motor on it. This is foot controlled, so I can move in all directions while keeping both hands on the camera. I also think it makes me look calmer to the birds and animals, as I don't have and noise/movement/splash from the paddles.

Here is an older photo - I've since changed from a car battery to an atv battery (lighter) and moved the battery to the back so the kayak rides level.

And, of course, an example of the fun low angles.....

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pics from a kayak

Fantastic images one and all!

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Hawkowl

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pics from a kayak

Happy New Year!
- You have a peddle kayak which is what I was curious about in the first place but I checked the pro-angler 12 which is a whopping 98-120# - probably too much for me to handle but I'm sure will be great for photography.

Steve - Thanks for input and photo. I see that your kayak weights about 36# - what a difference! No motors are allowed on my lake which is also frozen over right now.

My best option is to find the closest kayak store where I can actually check out my options. The photos are all terrific and sure illustrate the advantages of a kayak! Tks.
Regards
Marcia

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pics from a kayak

Super cool stuff

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:55 AM
hopes2
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pics from a kayak

The Hullavator can be a great help.
If you want a lightweight boat please check out Hurricane Kayaks.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/watersports/watersportcarriers/897xt-hullavator-_-897xt#

May 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pics from a kayak

For propulsion, there is also partner power.... I was offended to see this couple kayak into a rookery, but they went slowly and I was amazed that the birds showed no reaction at all.

May 21, 2013 at 01:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password