Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Pics from a kayak

birdfreak12
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pics from a kayak

Just wanted to ask if anyone takes their rig out on calm waters in a kayak? I've spent several years fishing from my kayaks and have seen incredible shot opportunities except Ive had my fishing gear in my hand instead of my camera. I just recently bought a dry bag and I planto venture out soon with my camera in hand. I have the necessary cold weather gear, just not ever shot from my yak. For those who shoot from a yak, do you use a tripod? I'm no sure mine will get low enough to use on m yak. I'm looking forward to cruising around hoping to ease up on some relaxed birds really soon.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pics from a kayak

It's a blast I use Scotty Kayak stabelizers . Ed

Dec 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pics from a kayak

That looks nice. I sold a Commander this summer. I'm going to try my first time out in my Hobie. I'm going to see if my tripod will work since I'm using a sit on top. I'm more pumped now.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:16 PM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pics from a kayak

That is a pretty sweet set-up.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:40 PM
EndoRando

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pics from a kayak

No tripod here. My wife and I picked up a couple of 13 footers for local waters. She just enjoys being out, I enjoy it for the purpose of having an additional vehicle for wildlife photography opportunities. I probably engage in more risky photography than most from my kayak as I don't use any outriggers for stability, and rarely even have drybags along. But...I am cautious about the waters and conditions.

The greatest benefit is it's revealed a world of opportunities within just a few miles of where I live, or additional access to more remote places. And the variety of your captures can expand tremendously.

There's a lagoon here in Anchorage that has tons of nesting waterfowl. You can catch the mating rituals and then the non-stop offspring rearing. Just look at the size of this catch by a Red Necked Grebe!

Another local lake has a returning pair of nesting Pacific Loons. These are some of the most beautiful birds I've ever seen, and since they inhabit a calm lake the results have high potential for excellence. They weren't successful in raising their chick this year, which was pretty sad since we've seen them fly off as a family in the fall together in years past.

But some of the best surprises happen when you load up the kayaks and decide to explore a new lake. Most of our road trips have satisfied our urge to discover new bodies of water but have also allowed us to happen upon some scenes we might not see from a roadside shore.

This mode gets my whole hearted recommendation, but a few words of caution are in order: get comfortable with your limits in your kayak regarding the water conditions as you surely don't want to overturn with your valuable photographic gear, proceed slowly so not to appear threatening as the more you linger the less cautious the wildlife becomes, and try to add a lens with fair reach to your arsenal so you don't have to infringe on their comfort zone. I'm usually out there with a 300mm, and usually that's the ticket.

Happy shooting.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:54 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pics from a kayak

Incredible shots! The loons are beautiful. I spent the past few years getting to know my limits in my kayak. Now I'm ready to explore with my camera. I'm hoping to get out maybe ths me week and see if I get lucky to get one shots. Thanks for sharing those beautiful shots.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Lapdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pics from a kayak

Fabulous shots - thank you

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Harry.C
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pics from a kayak

With his help, I cloned Ed's setup a few years ago and found that kayak to be so stable I don't even bother with the stabilizers. Initially I used a tripod, but if the water is even a tiny bit wavy the motion translated to the tripod and make it very frustrating. I have a monopod on my 600 now instead, which allows for hand-holding when needed for birds-in-flight and a comfortable rest otherwise if it's not wavy.

Regardless of what make/model you go for you get some amazing opportunities as a lot of wildlife just doesn't register you as human at all. Last summer my wife floated up to an elk where her kayak almost was touching its nose, and it was only when she readjusted after a few minutes watching that it realised we were there and spooked.

Cheers,
Harry C

[edit]
Here's my wife approaching the elk:

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:24 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pics from a kayak

I shoot from my yak all the time. I have a dry bag and a small waterproof case, but the camera comes out of the dry bag as soon as I launch and get settled in. There are a lot of yak shots on my www link ~Ron

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:45 AM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pics from a kayak

I love shooting from the kayak too. I only have a 100-400, but find it is great to drift into the quiet areas and shoot. You'll love it.
Nancy

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pics from a kayak

Yup, I'm another yak shooter, been doing it for years. It is a great platform to shoot from providing nice low level angles. I don't use any special equipment, just hand hold the 800. I'm like Ron, I have a bag but the gear is only in the bag going in and out of the water.

Tim

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:08 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pics from a kayak

Shooting is fun. Kayaking is fun. Shoot from a kayak is super good fun. I have a more sporty one, and it is still fine for shooting from. I also take a dry bag and have all the required safety gear. And sometimes there are things out on the water besides birds and bugs.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM
baileyjmad
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pics from a kayak

What wonderful pics and info. You've spiked my interest!
John

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pics from a kayak

These photos are EXCELLENT !!!! Kayak photography is one of my favorite ways to shoot. You can go pretty much anywhere, get shots you wouldn't get other wise, and its very relaxing. For the people who are thinking about trying it but haven't done it yet, your missing the boat. ( NPI )

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM
mpoole
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pics from a kayak

I do this all the time for the same reasons as the previous posters have stated. I use a 7D and 100-400, no tripod. We often cover long distances so I don't want th equipment in the way. Camera sits in the bottom of the boat on top of a dry bag, with a thin splash cover sitting over top so it is always ready, but reasonably protected.
You can get shots that there would be no other chance of getting:

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pics from a kayak

Shootin from a yak. Ed

Dec 29, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Hawkowl

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pics from a kayak

Good Morning All,
I have been a long-time, morning coffee looker (lurker is too sinister!) who enjoys seeing the wonderful photos, the conversation and the technical help available on FM and I thank you all! Does anyone have any thoughts on using the 'pedal-powered' kayaks such as Hobie or Native Watercraft or...for photography? For the past 12yrs I have been a full-time caregiver for my husband who has A.D. but this past year I had to place him in extended care so am excited about being able to get out and enjoy everything, particularly bird/nature photography. This virtual world of FM where people talk about the joys of kayaking (I have never sat in one) and their photographs from them have convinced me to buy one. Hand freedom and bad shoulders are why I'm interested in the a/m, plus I understand that they are very stable.
Regards
Marcia

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:27 PM
rb_stern
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pics from a kayak

Neat set-up and fantastic pictures!

Richard

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:40 PM
jwestfall
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pics from a kayak

Overall this has been a nice thread - good shots, great perspective, and some interesting ideas to pursue. I hope to give some kayak shooting a go here in a few months.

- jim

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pics from a kayak

Hawkowl wrote:
Good Morning All,
I have been a long-time, morning coffee looker (lurker is too sinister!) who enjoys seeing the wonderful photos, the conversation and the technical help available on FM and I thank you all! Does anyone have any thoughts on using the 'pedal-powered' kayaks such as Hobie or Native Watercraft or...for photography? For the past 12yrs I have been a full-time caregiver for my husband who has A.D. but this past year I had to place him in extended care so am excited about being able to get out and enjoy everything, particularly bird/nature photography. This virtual world of
...Show more

Marcia I'm touched and saddened by your story. I offer you my sympathies for your husband. As far as a peddled powered boat goes, I don't have any experience with one but I have thought about it. I think they would be better for approaching the subject because you don't have paddles flapping around scaring things away. The downside is you may be limited in shallow water. I often just about beach my kayak getting close to things in shallow water, I don't that would work with a prop. Then again all things are compromises I would suggest renting one if you can and try it out.

Tim

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password