Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Fettucine Alfredo

davekatz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fettucine Alfredo

Playing around with new lighting setup- would love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Link

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Fettucine Alfredo

Welcome to the PC Forum.

I posted it here to make it easier for others to view ... hopefully you have no objections to the post.

Directionally soft shadows rendering dimension and non-specular reflective highlights @ metal surfaces ... I got nothin' to add regarding your lighting setup, its looking good ... changes / adds would simply be a matter of S&P to taste, imo. I might tweak on PP or crop, but that's just S&P to taste stuff.

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:10 AM
davekatz

p.1 #3 · Fettucine Alfredo

Thanks, and no I don't mind at all! Now if only I was a better chef...

Dec 25, 2012 at 05:38 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Fettucine Alfredo

Possibly some Lab mode changes, sharpening, cropping, color balance cooling, and add some vignette?

Dec 25, 2012 at 08:27 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fettucine Alfredo

Karen ... why so cool?

A few tweaks ...

As always, S&P to taste ... which, btw, the fettuccine looks yum.

Is that a napkin under the forks? If it is, it looks like you might be a touch overexposed (either @ capture or PP) as the numbers are pretty high (i.e. 249,246, 241) for a diffuse/non-specular object.

Edited on Dec 25, 2012 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:39 PM
davekatz

p.1 #6 · Fettucine Alfredo

AuntiPode, though I think the cooler tones are good for a more sterile, restaurant feel, I think I prefer the warmer, homey aesthetic for this shot.

Rusty, those are a few napkins in the corner. Regardless of technicalities in terms of exposure, do you think the brightness in the corner leads the eye into the center effectively, or is it distracting?

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fettucine Alfredo

davekatz wrote:
do you think the brightness in the corner leads the eye into the center effectively, or is it distracting?

Totally diggin' the question ...

It seems to be pulling on me a touch ... not terrible by any means, but it is a good size bright spot that does compete a bit. I might like to see it about half-way to the level of the dishes (PP/flag/feather/etc. )

If you are interested in the land of the "micro-nit" (which you'd be in good company around here ), it might be something to note. Actually, I thought it was a counter tile for quite a while. It probably bothered me more once I realized it was a napkin, than it did at first visual perception.

I'm kinda divided as to whether the napkin detail or the brightness pulls the eye into the corner more. Might be a "choose your poison" kinda thing.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:18 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Fettucine Alfredo

The key to a food shot is usually to make the food look it's most appealing - cooled the color balance to give the green peas an appetizing visual snap and to give the noodles a more appealing yellow by simulating window light rather than incandescent.

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:04 PM
davekatz

p.1 #9 · Fettucine Alfredo

Noted, Rusty. I appreciate the feedback. As I get more practice under my belt, I'll probably be back for more nitpicking- food photography is perfect for that!

AuntiPode, I think the things you're saying are all subjective, and determined by the style of the individual. That is, of course, unless you care to define "appealing" or "appetizing visual snap"
Your edit (the way I see it) gives off a more cooler, more sterile atmosphere such as that of a restaurant than does the warmer, more homey atmosphere such as that of a home kitchen.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #10 · Fettucine Alfredo

davekatz

In a food shot everything should have defined detail and color. If shown in the shot, napkins, cutlery, and dinnerware are part of the eating experience, which adds to the ambiance of your entree. There should be even lighting from both sides of the subject dish. You’ve lost all detail in the fettuccine pan, left side - probably why you cropped it vertically. The bunched up napkin/towel in the foreground is a large distraction. Think you would have a better impact if the fettuccine were shown in the actual dish with no clipped sides. The coloration of the fettuccine and peas is spot on. There is no evidence of sauce, and placement of the peas is a bit contrived. Check out some “eats” magazines for ideas on lighting and setup. Sorry if I sound blunt, but that’s my two cents worth.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Fettucine Alfredo

Of course it's subjective. That's why I make suggestions. Appeal, to me, is simply what appeals more to me and makes me want to dig in.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #12 · Fettucine Alfredo

I really like the image, and it did make me hungry...

I like the way you set up your scene to put the pasta "in context"; in other words, really liked your composition.

For me, the top right corner and the bottom left corner (the pan handle) are taking my eyes away from the food. So below is a suggestion on how you could work the brightness in some parts of the image, to try and bring the eye to the food. The pan handle is especially tricky since it's such a powerful diagonal coming directly from the food (the main interest point) and going outside the frame, I'm not sure I did effectively bring the eye back...

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM
davekatz

p.1 #13 · Fettucine Alfredo

AuntiPode wrote:
Of course it's subjective. That's why I make suggestions. Appeal, to me, is simply what appeals more to me and makes me want to dig in.

I'm glad it makes you want to dig in

Bert DeMars wrote:
davekatz

In a food shot everything should have defined detail and color. If shown in the shot, napkins, cutlery, and dinnerware are part of the eating experience, which adds to the ambiance of your entree. There should be even lighting from both sides of the subject dish. You’ve lost all detail in the fettuccine pan, left side - probably why you cropped it vertically. The bunched up napkin/towel in the foreground is a large distraction. Think you would have a better impact if the fettuccine were shown in the actual dish with no clipped sides. The coloration of the fettuccine
...Show more

Bert, you don't sound blunt at all. I'd be very curious to know which eats magazines you're referring to/getting this aesthetic from, because what you're describing sounds like a commercial aesthetic, which isn't quite what I'm going for.

...If you don't mind indulging, I find this discussion on aesthetics fascinating- how do different types of photographer's see a subject matter like food in their mind's eye? Where does that image come from?

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Fettucine Alfredo

Bert DeMars wrote:
There should be even lighting from both sides of the subject dish.

That sounds like copy lighting ... how are you going to reveal texture, form & shape?

You’ve lost all detail in the fettuccine pan, left side (specular highlight ?) - probably why you cropped (isn't this the original composition in portrait orientation) it vertically. The bunched up napkin/towel in the foreground is a large distraction. fg scale could be reduced a touch as it does compete some ... i.e. if you had the right side a bit lower like the towel on the left side of the handle.

A couple of crops to re-balance the subject "off center" a bit more asymmetrical. Obviously, the placement of comp elements would need to be repositioned, but the crops are just to illustrate how the eye is drawn differently (similar to the earlier question @ napkin brightness) as placement / arrangement of subject / negative space change.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:18 PM
davekatz

p.1 #15 · Fettucine Alfredo

Right, copy lighting doesn't allow for any depth to be created...
I'll keep in mind your note about scale regarding pan to towel ratio, I think the line of the pan handle brings the eye in towards the main subject matter. Maybe it could use a black card to give it more shape and bring it down in brightness a bit though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Fettucine Alfredo

+1 @ leading line of handle.

I'd kinda like to see the flatware and plates moved closer (re-oriented into view, etc) to bring them into view, but occupying a smaller portion of the image. The original leads me into the subject via the handle ... then the silverware takes me all the way into the far corner, i.e. away from the subject, leading me out the top of the frame.

I'd like to see the silverware laid a bit less "vertical" and a bit more "horizontal/diagonal" to act as a "visual stop" rather than a visual "drag me higher away from the subject". It seems to me that you are taking your viewer to your subject, then taking them away again ... rather than holding them there with framing elements. If that makes any sense.

Did I mention "micro-nits" ?

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:28 PM
davekatz

p.1 #17 · Fettucine Alfredo

Haha yeah I understand. Create more of a visual blockage than a continuation of the line created by the handle.

Micro indeed

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Fettucine Alfredo

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Fettucine Alfredo

I like that it feels like a setting, the tighter crop takes away some of the feeling of place for me. I also like the leading line of the handle. For me, the original WB works the best...love me some Fettuccine Alfredo...now I am hungry.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #20 · Fettucine Alfredo

davekatz wrote:
I'm glad it makes you want to dig in

Bert, you don't sound blunt at all. I'd be very curious to know which eats magazines you're referring to/getting this aesthetic from, because what you're describing sounds like a commercial aesthetic, which isn't quite what I'm going for.

...If you don't mind indulging, I find this discussion on aesthetics fascinating- how do different types of photographer's see a subject matter like food in their mind's eye? Where does that image come from?

If, as you say you’re not going for a “commercial” look, then checking out work in cuisine mags wouldn’t be helpful.

You asked about “How do different types of photographers see a subject matter like food in their mind’s eye”. Can’t speak for others, but for me, any subject matter is all about presentation. We, as submitting photographers sometimes become so invested in a shot, that we don’t want to consider other’s ideas for presentation. At most, its only a couple of bucks of pasta and peas. And free film.

Firstly, you entered your posting in the “Photo Critique” forum, which one assumes you’d like constructive criticism. Some on the forum use effusive descriptions of subject matter so as not to discourage the photographer. And sometimes, beat it to death trying to save a single frame.

You labeled your entry “Fettuccine Alfredo”. My mind set gets ready to see Fettuccine Alfredo. The swirls of pasta are nicely arranged, and the peas are spaced well. I suppose you could add peas to the classic dish, or walnuts, or raisins, etc. When you sprinkle parsley over an entree, it usually means its a finished dish ready for serving. However, a frying pan of plain pasta with a small amount of peas, no evidence of the creamy Alfredo sauce, isn’t my idea of mouth-watering.

If you want to present it as aesthetic object d’art, perhaps eliminate the background and maybe throw a black vignette around it as seen below.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password