Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

AndreasE wrote:
Wildflife and sport shooter might opt for the "D400", but I would be surprised to see the "D400" go into mainstream D7000 customer territory.

I've been shooting some weddings with the D300, and would love to have a fast FPS camera with the D5200 sensor in it. A D600 just won't do it. A D800 doesn't have that either, and I don't want to spend all the money I earn from the job paying for the camera. I also shoot wildlife. If Nikon doesn't come out with a D400, I will likely migrate to the Canon 7D.

Kent in SD

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:14 AM
AndreasE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Two23 wrote:
[ If Nikon doesn't come out with a D400, I will likely migrate to the Canon 7D.

.... and if it comes out and costs more than 2000$ .... ?

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Two23 wrote:
[ If Nikon doesn't come out with a D400, I will likely migrate to the Canon 7D.

AndreasE wrote:

I'd be willing to wager that the d400 won't be priced significantly differently than the d300 was at introduction. There's simply no way they could justify a huge cost increase, with current technology. What feature(s) could they possibly implement in the d400 that would warrant a price tag >$2000? Absent some kind of new technology for the sensor, the high ISO/DR performance of the d400 isn't likely to be more than about 1/2 stop better than the d7k/d5100 sensors, which are only about 1 stop shy of the theoretical limit for DX sensors.

The 7d replacement will be the competition for the d400. If Canon prices that at $1600 US, Nikon won't be that far off, IMO.

Thanks for the info on the d5200. The images look good.

Kerry

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:54 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

AndreasE wrote:
I am not familiar with this issue with my D800/E.
Can you elaborate if this a design issue, or are only a few bodies effected?

rgds,
Andy

Esentially, I find the liveview on D800 series extremely laggy. Also when zooming in to help with focusing, in low light conditions, the live view is extremely difficult to use.

Please refer to the following video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EaI__yZad4w

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

AndreasE wrote:

In the end, a $2.000 D400 would be more useful than a $2,000 D600. I agree that the price of the Canon 7D will hold the Nikon price down.

It's too bad Nikon can't build cameras that are modular. I could pick a D5200 sensor, D5200 swing out screen, D800 AF & metering system, D7000 iTTL commander mode, and D4 fps

Kent in SD

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:52 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Two23 wrote:
In the end, a $2.000 D400 would be more useful than a $2,000 D600.

If Nikon finds a few 10.000 consumers/quarter with the same perspective, the D400 will come.

It's too bad Nikon can't build cameras that are modular. I could pick a D5200 sensor, D5200 swing out screen, D800 AF & metering system, D7000 iTTL commander mode, and D4 fps
Due to heavy dependencies between the components, it doesn't work at the current price point of integrated products.

Andy

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:00 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Back to the D5200. Toshiba seems to have built a good gen1 APS-C sensor.

Shot earlier this evening.

D5200, 195mm, ISO 100, 2560x1700

regards,
Andy

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM
glassartist
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Andy,

It's a lovely portrait but looks soft on my screen. Was that shot wide open (I'm thinking it is the 70-200 f4)? It looks like the focus is on the halter. It does soften up the skin on the girl, which is not a bad effect.

Andy (on the other side of the atlantic).

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Timothy OConn

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

glassartist wrote:
Andy,

It's a lovely portrait but looks soft on my screen. Was that shot wide open (I'm thinking it is the 70-200 f4)? It looks like the focus is on the halter. It does soften up the skin on the girl, which is not a bad effect.

Andy (on the other side of the atlantic).

If that is soft, then I would hate to see what sharp looks like

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andreasb

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Hi Andreas, Thank you so much for the post, lots of great images and thanks for letting us check the IQ out in the NEFs - very impressive IQ I think.

BTW and I'm not trying to be unfair to the D5200 but if you take the RAW image 0099 and its corresponding D600 image and add +2.00 exposure in ACR 7.x, you can see some pretty clear banding on the top left of the D5200 image, not in the D600 image. I'm not trying to start another dumb banding thread, all equipment has its limits and for a consumer camera it looks really good, detail is good and noise is well contained in the dark shadows, much better then the D3200 in the same type of situation. It seems to me that the D5200 sensor does a better job then the D3200, and has a little a better dynamic range. The night Alpen landscape with the 14-24 is fabulous!!! I would take that from any camera!

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:34 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

andreasb wrote:
Hi Andreas, Thank you so much for the post, lots of great images and thanks for letting us check the IQ out in the NEFs - very impressive IQ I think.

BTW and I'm not trying to be unfair to the D5200 but if you take the RAW image 0099 and its corresponding D600 image and add +2.00 exposure in ACR 7.x, you can see some pretty clear banding on the top left of the D5200 image, not in the D600 image. I'm not trying to start another dumb banding thread, all equipment has its limits and for a consumer camera
...Show more

Yep, I see it too, it's very pronounced. I think it's fair to complain about any regressions in IQ, esp. since every APS-C sensor Nikon has used since the D90 has been free of banding for the most part, particularly the D90/D5000 and to a tiny lesser extent, the D7000/D5100.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:18 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Nikon has chosen Toshiba as supplier of the D5200 sensor wisely. DXOMark rates the D5200 as the best DX format camera.
Rgds,
Andy

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:37 AM
petervasakolla

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

andreasb wrote:

BTW and I'm not trying to be unfair to the D5200 but if you take the RAW image 0099 and its corresponding D600 image and add +2.00 exposure in ACR 7.x, you can see some pretty clear banding on the top left of the D5200 image, not in the D600 image. I'm not trying to start another dumb banding thread, all equipment has its limits and for a consumer camera
...Show more

Hi,

Need some help,

I would like to test my camera form any issues, as i'm newbie, and buying a new D5200

How can i test these Banding things, i'm new no LR as well. I didn't got what is pushing 2 stops 3 stops confused .. (i know i'm gona learn all those things, but before that i want to test my D5200)

Please Help ..

Thank you..

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Pushing 2 or 3 stops in Lightroom would mean if you had taken a picture at one level of light or "ev" using lightroom to make it appear as if there were two or three levels of light higher when pic was taken.

Basically making the picture brighter. There are reasons why you would deliberately take a picture at a low level or underexposing and use software to apply gain to make it appear exposed higher than it was. Also instead of pushing you can go the other way to make the picture darker or underexpose.

Go to libraryan read a few books on the mechanics of photography and understand the interplay that shutterspeed and aperture have with one another then learn about iso as well. The latter is something that has allowed digital to trump film for most applications of photography.

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:32 PM
petervasakolla

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Slug69 wrote:
Pushing 2 or 3 stops in Lightroom would mean if you had taken a picture at one level of light or "ev" using lightroom to make it appear as if there were two or three levels of light higher when pic was taken.

Basically making the picture brighter. There are reasons why you would deliberately take a picture at a low level or underexposing and use software to apply gain to make it appear exposed higher than it was. Also instead of pushing you can go the other way to make the picture darker or underexpose.

Go to libraryan read a few
...Show more

Thank you Slug

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:31 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

petervasakolla wrote:
Hi,

Need some help,
I would like to test my camera form any issues, as i'm newbie, and buying a new D5200
How can i test these Banding things, i'm new no LR as well. I didn't got what is pushing 2 stops 3 stops confused .. (i know i'm gona learn all those things, but before that i want to test my D5200)
Please Help ..
Thank you..

With all respect.

As you seem to be new to internet culture as well, my first advise is to develop a good sense of what kind of information in the internet has what kind of credibility and impact - it is not equal.

Second advise:
It seems to be a culture in photo fora to "find" problems in new gear, if real or not. There has to be one - even with ludicrous workflows most wouldn't do in their lifetime, triggers fear and doubt with those not familiar with the topic.

Third advise:
Don't start your experience with your new camera with "testing". Unless you have some background in testing, danger is pretty high that you will end up doing wrong tests with wrong conclusions.

Fourth Advise:
The D5200 is a formidable camera. Like all technical gear you can drive it hard to develop some flaws. Here is an image taken with the D4, Nikon's current top of the line camera. and pretty expensive too. This image is taken with a camera which is not faulty. Just to show that there is a grey zone of things where you need to know what is technically ok and what not. Would you go nervous if your camera produces such an image? Yes? Me not, because it depends on other things beyond the "fault" of the camera.

Fifth advise:
Enjoy aour new D5200 and rather focus on sharpening your own skills before you spend time and effort to finally end up with potentially wrong conclusions.

regards,
Andy

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:55 AM
kelhardy80

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

Wow, fantastic images! I realize that the D5200 has been around for a short time and is earning a lot of good reviews. I wrote review comparing it with other alternatives within the Nikon family as well as the Canon T4i. I have recommended a few lenses, based on the feedback from actual owners of the D5200. I hope it will be useful for those who want to make an informed decision about buying this DSLR. You can check it out at http://ceejay1980.hubpages.com/hub/Nikon-D5200-price-and-review

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 11:47 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:19 AM
petervasakolla

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D5200 - first impressions

AndreasE wrote:
With all respect.

Fifth advise:
Enjoy aour new D5200 and rather focus on sharpening your own skills before you spend time and effort to finally end up with potentially wrong conclusions.

regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Actually i'm a java developer not new to internet, but new to photography (started 2 weeks back), i plan to buy camera, i then after searching reviews for D5200, i found this any way after reading this thread, i did some Research on what all these terminology means !! i got it at last all these shadow banding f/stops etc.. as i'm a technically strong in understanding Science. lol

you make me realize what i have to look for thank you for very good explanation
sure i will enjoy my camera

And last --- ur pics was awesome i like it

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password