Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

pingflood
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Hello,

Currently have:
Slik 700DX legs
Slik 800DX ballhead
Manfrotto 410 geared head
Bogen 393 pseudo-gimbal head

Everything works great and the tripod legs have stood up to a decade of (ab)use. No complaints other than the weight; with the 410 head I am clocking in at around 9 lbs. For regular hiking with the family I would like something lighter that still will let me get nice stable landscapes with 5DII + nothing heavier than a 35/2 Zeiss.

Looking at the Manfrotto 055 and 190 legs, and possible an Arca-Swiss Monoball P0. Seems like a great setup, but I have no personal experience with either. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:26 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

I have the Feisol 3442 legs along with a Markins head. Light weight, compact, easy to setup and use and stable up to my 70-200 lens. I can recommend this setup for your needs.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:37 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Thanks, I had not heard of the Feisol gear before but they are not too high priced and extremely light. Do you have the longer center column and if so, is it as stable as they claim?

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:44 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

chez wrote:
I have the Feisol 3442 legs along with a Markins head.

Great suggestion. My lightweight rig is a Benro travel tripod that weighs 2.77 lbs, has a folded length of 17.7 in, and a max height w/column extended of 61.8 in. I also use a Markins ballhead with it. If you're interested in the details I reviewed it here.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM
k7xd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Gitzo series 1.

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

I've owned a variety of legs over the years, including Gitzo series 1, 2, and 3. The Feisol 3401 is my choice for a compact travel tripod -- more stable than a Gitzo series 1, and more compact and lighter than any series 2. The 3442 is probably incrementally better with its larger machined spider, but I prefer the smaller package of the 3401, and it's very adequate for my uses.

I don't like the traveler designs with fold-over legs, since they seem inherently less stable, and I like being able to get low.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

I also have a Feisol CT 3442 and can highly recommend it. It meets my needs for being light, compact, sturdy enough, and high enough quality for the price. I purchased it at B&H. It was not quite perfect, and Feisol customer service was OUTSTANDING in taking care of the issue.

I also have Gitzo 3 and 5 series tripods (which are certainly not in the light category, but are excellent tripods). The Feisol is not quite up to the Gitzo standard of fit and finish, but it is completely adequate for my needs.

I am using a RRS BH55 ballhead on it while I continue to search for the perfect light ballhead.

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:29 AM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Thanks for your comments!

Steve, have you looked at the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0? At least on paper and in reviews it looks near-perfect.

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Walker

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

The Arca-Swiss Monoball P0, Markins Q3 or Q10, and RRS BH25 or BH30 are the ones on my short list.

I want light, but am not sure I am willing live without a separate pan lock on the BH25. The Q10 seems to be the best compromise between weight and capability.

I have been looking for months and still can't make up my mind. I have seen all of these ball heads in person and most of them operating in the field. I suspect there is no bad choice among them.

While at Yellowstone, I ran into a woman with a Feisol CT3442 and a Markins Q10. She loved her setup and I can see why.

For now, I just "make do" with the heavier BH55, which is certainly an outstanding ball head. It does weigh about as much as the tripod, though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:47 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Another vote for the Feisol 3442. It weighs next to nothing and is tall. In fact, i took the centre column off mine cos i didn't need the height.

Dec 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Yet another vote for the Feisol 3442. Had the 342 for more than 2 years, completely satisfied. I am 6' 1" tall and I have the center post but I don't use it because the height is fine without it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Benro Mefoto. Sweet. Love it. So compact

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

The Feisol CT3442 is a great travel tripod. It is light and packs down very small. I would put this one on your short list.

Steve

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:58 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

If you use mirror lock up and 2 or 10 sec or cable you need less tripod. My garage sale tripods seem to work fine when I travel. They are short though.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Diploneis
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

Gitzo 1 series and Markins Q3. Perfect setup.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommend me a lightweight tripod setup

I use the Feisol 3441T paired with a Photoclam Pro Gold II Easy PQR. The 3441T combines the legs of the 3442 with the spider of the 3441S. It's the same folded length as the 3442, but a smaller diameter for easier packing and less bulk when carrying. The ballhead fits perfectly with legs folded over it, such that I can use the bag supplied with the tripod. The ballhead is handy in design as well, with dual panning bases and a lever release that is adjustable to accommodate slightly different sized plates/brackets. I've used mine with up to 100mm lenses with no problem.

Dec 28, 2012 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password