Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

sgtbueno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

I have 2 5DM2 and will continue to use them for a long time, it is an amazing camera, and if you cant get good images with the 5D2 you must be doing something wrong.
So, enjoy your camera, you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Breitling65 wrote:
I own all 5d versions and mk2 was really improving is dust cleaning and af adjustments, anything else was minor or useless like video for example. I am in love with 5d classic IQ until now. Video is really different world to the most here, never been excited about and never will. My iphone takes great videos in my lame video opinion.

I had - and still have - a 5D, and I've shot a 5D2 for about four years now.

I'm with you regarding video, since I don't use it.

However, for me "live view" has fundamentally change how I shoot from the tripod - and turned out to be a major difference between the 5D and 5D2. (I wrote more about this here: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2009/07/06/why-i-like-live-view-on-my-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii)

In addition, the improvements in higher ISO performance proved quite useful to me. With the 5D I always tried to shoot at 100, and only shot at higher ISOs if I had no choice. I did not use ISO 400 much, and I generally steered clear of 800 and higher. The story is different with the 5D2. I really think of 100 and 200 as essentially equal in practical terms, and don't worry at all about which I use apart how they affect my choices of things like shutter speed and aperture. I even shoot landscape at 400 in some situations. I regularly use 800 for photographing things like wildlife. I even make use of 1600 and 3200 in a range of situations with good results - neither of which I would have used on the 5D.

The 5D was and is a fine camera... but the 5D2 is at least its equal or better in every way that matters photographically. I'm sure that the 5D3 and 6D continue the process of incremental improvement.

Dan

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:21 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #3 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Problem for me was that the original 5D didn't have any way of focusing on stars with fast lenses. AF won't work in that situation and the focusing screen won't help either.

The 5D2 has wonderful live view which meant I could focus fast glass directly on stars at 10x mag at f1.4 or f2, that's why the 5D2 was the first FF body I could afford that would do what I wanted. 5D classic would have left me with a problem which is why I didn't buy one.

My next need was excellent ISO 3200 with no banding and reasonable noise. Again 5D2 delivered. IMHO though 5D2 images are unsatisfying at ISO 6400 but YMMV.

Early indications here on FM do suggest that the 6D will be the night photographer's camera of choice with outstanding sensor performance, but my 5D2 still cuts the mustard for me and at the moment I haven't the funds for a 6D!

I have been disappointed with the 5D2s outer focus points for portrait work, but looks like Canon have fixed this with the 5D3 so whats past is past. The 5D2 dust shaker system is wonderful, I have had to clean my sensor only once since buying it all those years ago, if dust does appear it just blows off with a Giotto! Very impressed.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:24 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #4 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

My 5DII and I grew closer together after learning of this news. It's a great upgrade over the 5Dc (which I came from). Although I can't justify shelling out the money for the 5DIII. My 5DII will be my partner in crime for years to come.

-Nick

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:12 PM
ross attix

p.2 #5 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

I bought my 5D classic just before the 5DII arrived. Prices had started to plunge on the classic so I knew Canon was clearing the pipeline for the newer model. I got it for a great price and never regretted not having the latest and greatest.

I just sold it and picked up a new 5DII at a great price and will enjoy that for a few years. There is an ever diminishing return as these new models come out and I think the last generation cameras offer a huge bargain for what they cost. Not at all unhappy to stay one generation behind.

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:28 PM
robstein
• • •
p.2 #6 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

ross attix wrote:
There is an ever diminishing return as these new models come out and I think the last generation cameras offer a huge bargain for what they cost. Not at all unhappy to stay one generation behind.

Yeah I agree... I used the 20D for 5 years before jumping to the 7D (I needed the speed for b-ball over the 5dc at the time)..... but with the 5d2 around 1500 new old stock, I jumped on one for portrait stuff...... It will be great to be BACK in the 35mm FF world as I left that in film days and have always missed it for some images.

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I had - and still have - a 5D, and I've shot a 5D2 for about four years now.

I'm with you regarding video, since I don't use it.

However, for me "live view" has fundamentally change how I shoot from the tripod - and turned out to be a major difference between the 5D and 5D2. (I wrote more about this here: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2009/07/06/why-i-like-live-view-on-my-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii)

In addition, the improvements in higher ISO performance proved quite useful to me. With the 5D I always tried to shoot at 100, and only shot at higher ISOs if I had no choice. I did
...Show more

Are you shooting manual focus? How is that jump from 9 points with only one central point is good AF to the amazing 61 focus ponts AF could be called incremental improvement? What change would possibly make you happy? This site gives you quick specs compare between 6d, 5d2 and 5d3 cameras, I would suggest you to read again since difference is obviouse - 5d3 is the best among all 3 and not just because of AF.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Breitling65 wrote:
Are you shooting manual focus? How is that jump from 9 points with only one central point is good AF to the amazing 61 focus ponts AF could be called incremental improvement? What change would possibly make you happy? This site gives you quick specs compare between 6d, 5d2 and 5d3 cameras, I would suggest you to read again since difference is obviouse - 5d3 is the best among all 3 and not just because of AF.

The comparison discussed was between the 5D and 5DII

Seems you were a bit too quick to jump on GDan there

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

dhphoto wrote:
The comparison discussed was between the 5D and 5DII

Seems you were a bit too quick to jump on GDan there

I am just interesting besides high price on 5d3 what could possibly stop people to upgrade? Difference is obvious and not little or minor as he is saying. mpx? I know several photographers shooting MF and they don't care about AF magic of 5d3, what else?

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:35 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #10 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

ross attix wrote:
I bought my 5D classic just before the 5DII arrived. Prices had started to plunge on the classic so I knew Canon was clearing the pipeline for the newer model. I got it for a great price and never regretted not having the latest and greatest.

I just sold it and picked up a new 5DII at a great price and will enjoy that for a few years. There is an ever diminishing return as these new models come out and I think the last generation cameras offer a huge bargain for what they cost. Not at all unhappy
...Show more

A man after my own heart. Every time I pine for a new body, I shoot with my old 5D and the itch disappears for another 6 mos-year.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Breitling65 wrote:
I am just interesting besides high price on 5d3 what could possibly stop people to upgrade? Difference is obvious and not little or minor as he is saying. mpx? I know several photographers shooting MF and they don't care about AF magic of 5d3, what else?

I'm sure there are dozens of threads on why people are staying with a 5dII. If the mk2 works for your needs why upgrade? I've used a 5D and found the controls and features very limiting. Live view is a huge difference as well as the iso and overall interface improvements (screen, menus, etc). Honestly I've never understood the high price of the 5d, I would never buy that camera and wasn't very impressed when I tried one.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:17 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

My 5d2 will likely be my primary camera for most if not all of 2013.

In many ways a step back from my old 7d and I will move on to something more modern when value and ability align.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:21 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Breitling65 wrote:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

The AF system of the 5D3 is clearly an improvement, and a reason that those who have the newer camera like it. I would not at all disagree with your statement that it is (clearly) best among the 5D, 5D2 and 5D3, nor have I ever said or implied otherwise. In fact, I've pointed out elsewhere that the improved AF system is one of the more obvious differences between the 5D2 and 5D3.

However, while the implementation of live view (for example) in the full frame 5D2 was a substantial difference - e.g. it wasn't available before in that form! - that changes the very way that many of us use our cameras, the AF changes in the 5D3 are an incremental (though welcome) improvement, as opposed to introducing an almost completely new functionality to the camera model line.

(By the way, while I use live view almost exclusively for some of my work, other subjects rely almost exclusively on the AF system.)

I'm not insulting the 5D3. It is a fine camera, and I have said so many times.. I'm just trying to quantify the model to model differences and think about how the degree of change compares.

I'm puzzled that you ended your reply with "5d3 is the best among all 3 and not just because of AF" when I ended mine with "I'm sure that the 5D3 and 6D continue the process of incremental improvement" to acknowledge that the 5D3 is an improvement on the 5D2.

(Speaking for myself, the degree of improvement was not sufficient to persuade me to upgrade, but that is an individual choice, and YMMV. While I agree that there is room for improvement in the 5D2 AF system, I don't seem to have the problems that some seem to have with it. I find it quite functional. It is an improvement, but for me not a $3000 improvement. :-)

Take care,

Dan

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I find it quite functional. It is an improvement, but for me not a $3000 improvement. :-)

Take care,

Dan

OK, it is about money ^ but my question is remained the same - what would you add to 5d3 to make it more attractive for this price? Price for anything Canon currently releasing is much higher even they are improved just a little or a lot, we should all know this. We all should be careful in what we are asking new as well I believe.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Breitling65 wrote:
OK, it is about money ^ but my question is remained the same - what would you add to 5d3 to make it more attractive for this price? Price for anything Canon currently releasing is much higher even they are improved just a little or a lot, we should all know this. We all should be careful in what we are asking new as well I believe.

It is not "about the money." It is about value. For MY purposes the fine 5D3 does not provide sufficient added value to convince ME to upgrade to it from the 5D2. To my way of thinking, that is just a prudent purchase decision, and I think I would make the same decision even if the new camera had been introduced at the same point as the old. If I did not have my current camera already and I was ready to get a new Canon FF body, I would probably get the 5D3 rather than a 5D2, though it would not be a completely clear cut choice for ME given the very low current 5D2 prices..

It is interesting that you write: "Price for anything Canon currently releasing is much higher even they are improved just a little or a lot..." Although I think you meant that as a counter to my point of view, it actually is right in line with my point about the nature of the 5D2 upgrades, and how I assess their value to ME.

Before we knew the feature set of the 5D3 I was considering an upgrade if the sensor had substantially increased the photo site density. For ME that would have some value, since I produce large prints. When the 5D3 was released, it was clear that Canon had gone in a different direction and instead focused in different areas that are not as critical to ME. For ME, the next feature improvement that would persuade ME to upgrade from my 5D2 (though I would keep it as my backup/second body) is likely to be a sensor in the 35-40 MP range.

Dan

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:23 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

gdanmitchell wrote:
It is not "about the money." It is about value. For MY purposes the fine 5D3 does not provide sufficient added value to convince ME to upgrade to it from the 5D2. To my way of thinking, that is just a prudent purchase decision, and I think I would make the same decision even if the new camera had been introduced at the same point as the old. If I did not have my current camera already and I was ready to get a new Canon FF body, I would probably get the 5D3 rather than a 5D2, though it
...Show more

How large is your prints? Would it save some mpx on your shots if instead of using 5d2 central focusing point all the time and crop after you would just compose your shots better initially using any of the perfectly focusing 61 points on 5d3? I found using crop much less on 5d3 and that is preserving much of mpx's after pp. I don't know if I would ever look for 40mpx knowing limitations of such huge resolution related to the huge file sizes and remembering that sensor size is remained the same while number of pixels will be doubled causing noise etc.

Up to you, again I am just interesting in what actually photographers are asking Canon.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:10 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #17 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

I was not going to upgrade from 5DII to 5DIII at all. I wanted interchangeable screens and the cost seemed too high for the minor upgrades. I thought about it for a long time and really evaluated my photography. I determined that I was not using MF very much and that better AF and tracking would really help my band shooting (along with 6FPS and better video with no moire). When the price came down to $3k locally (and my wife got a great new job ) I re-evaluated my situation and pulled the trigger.The extra stop in raw images making 6400 as good as a 5DII 3200 and a very usable 12800 have been great so far. The incremental upgrades in a bunch of areas make for a much better camera overall. I am pleasantly surprised.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #18 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

Personally I went straight from a 5D Classic to a MkIII. I've used the MkII and consider the MkIII's improvements to be powerful aids in image creation.

IMHO it seems that the leap in qualitative terms between the 5D - 5D MkII - 5D MkIII, the intergenerational changes in terms of IQ, aren't massive but for one area - the MkIII in low light.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #19 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

gdanmitchell wrote:
It is not "about the money." It is about value. For MY purposes the fine 5D3 does not provide sufficient added value to convince ME to upgrade to it from the 5D2. To my way of thinking, that is just a prudent purchase decision, and I think I would make the same decision even if the new camera had been introduced at the same point as the old. If I did not have my current camera already and I was ready to get a new Canon FF body, I would probably get the 5D3 rather than a 5D2, though it
...Show more

Exactly. In fact it is quite simple depending where you currently are with your gear and what you tend to shoot. I am with Dan here, the 5D II will last me at least for the next generation of DSLR cameras to come which would really show an improvement in sensor technology. The main purpose of more resolution for me would be better cropping facilitation and better detail in sharpness for landscape, scenery, macro, and nature photos. If somebody wants to upgrade to full frame coming from a cropped sensor, I would recommend the 5D III now after its price is more reasonable for what the technology in it really is worth for. Upgrading from 5D II o 5D III might make sense for people who make use of the improved AF features. Another plus worthwhile mentioning is the 100% viewfinder. I am not one of those in need of the super AF (even I wouldnt mind having it, but I wouldn't upgrade just for his feature and the few others in there) since I am often using manual T/S lenses and macro lenses.

The 5D II is likely the best selling DSLR camera Canon ever made. The 5D III will not beat this - in fact it will be forgotten quickly when a future successor camera with improved sensor and same AF capabilities will be released.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:50 AM
gipper53

p.2 #20 · 5d Mark II ... discontinued.

I've been shooting with the 5D2 for almost exactly one year now, bought one last December when the $2k package deals were going on. I'm totally satisfied with this camera for what I need it to do. Would the features of the 5D3 be nice? Sure...but there is nothing about it that will really improve my images.

For the first time that I've been into digital photography, I'm at a point where I'm not wishing for a better camera body. Yeah I've had "good" cameras in the past, but I always lusted for the better models I couldn't afford. With the 5D2 and 5D, body upgrades are no longer on my mind. The image quality I'm getting is enough to satisfy my personal needs and my clients, and will probably do so for a long time. The proof is in the prints, and the 5D2 will still make a beautiful poster sized print a decade from now. And I can see myself owning it that long.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:11 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password