Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lytro light field camera question

yogi3939
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lytro light field camera question

I have been seeing a lot about a "new kind of camera" called the Lytro light field camera. I would like to ask if anyone here on FM has had any hands on experience with this camera and if so do you feel that it could be a serious addition to the professional photographer's gear, or is it just a fancy toy for those with more money than sense? Or does it fall somewhere between those two options?

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 02:37 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lytro light field camera question

Fancy toy. Leaning toward those with more money than sense, but it can be mildly entertaining if you have both money and sense.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:20 AM
hhargitt

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lytro light field camera question

I am curious too, seems that they do their best to hide the fact it's a 1.1mp camera. I'm afraid they'll have to do better than 1080x1080 images before I'll give it a try.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lytro light field camera question

Interesting idea, but in terms of practical use (resolution, viewing), it's just a toy at this point. The concept is very cool. But in some way it reminds me of an even less functional analogue to Foveon. Both great ideas, but for broad adoption by the mainstream, particularly higher end mainstream/professionals... just not there. Perhaps never will be. OR perhaps it will change photography.

It's worth keeping an eye on.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:01 PM
yogi3939
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lytro light field camera question

Thanks for the input. I do see it having a use in macro photography though. If they develop it enough to take macro shots the idea of being able to bring anything from closest foreground to farthest background selectively into focus means it would be possible to do focus stacking with as many images as desired from a single frame without having to worry about the subject moving between frames.

I didn't catch the part about low pixel count. That is a serious limit until they can get larger sensors no matter what it might be useful for in theory. But for now it looks like way to much money for way too little camera unless you are a gadgeteer with deep pockets.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:40 PM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lytro light field camera question

I'm waiting for 10-15 years till I can seriously use this technology. It would be so awesome for fast and long (135mm f/2) street photography and sports photography....

Actually maybe the Department of Energy or National Institutes of Health can commission a million dollar Lytro for cell biology to take 5000x5000 images maybe ... Two summers ago as a second year undergrad I worked with a $100k Nikon microscope camera, using techniques to defeat the diffraction limit and superlocalise nanorod probes in a cell to a resolution of 10nm. Government research would probably be able to commission a Lytro for biology. If you're trying to track probe activity in a cell, you need to be able to monitor and record all focal planes at once. The Lytro is potentially a "3D microscope camera".

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password