Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

PeaktoPeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

I came from a 5D also, so for me the ergonomic differences between Nikon bodies were basically of zero concern -- since I had zero experience (like you) with Nikon cameras. However, there are a lot of differences between the 5D and D600 (what I ended up with) and after using it for a couple months I can say that there is nothing on the 5D that is done better than the D600. I find the build quality similar to the 5D and being lighter is a big deal for me since I also backpack. I didn't pick the D800 mostly because I didn't really need the huge files, I wanted a lighter camera and since I was new to the Nikon system I wanted to start with a little lower $ investment into the system in case it wasn't for me. I have fairly large hands, so yeah, the grip is a little small. But for most of what I shoot, the camera is on a tripod anyway. I haven't had any issues using it while shooting images of my family, but I could see it being uncomfortable to use for hours at a time -- in which case the 5D wasn't much better. I have enabled the button to use AF with my thumb and I think it works just like the * button on the 5D -- so great for me. Someone mentioned that there was no flash compensation button -- I didn't have an issue with this because you just hit the pop up flash button and dial it in -- not sure how a dedicated button would be easier. Anyway, for me it came down to physical size and the size of the files. Either way you can't really go wrong as long as you know the differences in each camera.
Paul

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:56 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.2 #2 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

just got my D600 from the deal last Friday. Still on the fence on whether I'll return it. I've been shooting a D300 for years and the controls feel like I'm going back to a D70.

Pulled it out and put the kit lens on for sky test shots to look for spots. Figured this was a good control since no "old" lenses were there to contaminate. Walked outside and pointed up and couldn't get the aperture to adjust. Out of habit I hadn't checked mode and it was in Auto, a useless setting that the D300/D700 rightfully skipped. Clear sign that D600 is a step down because that is a wasted dial. Ditto with Scene. I lost dedicated buttons that I have grown accustomed to and will have to decide if that's a deal killer or not.

Next, I went to lightroom with the initial 3 shots, f22 of the sky. solid spot (oil?) on all three images at exact same spot with an additional dust spot on 3rd exposure. I consider it unacceptable for a spot on the very first exposure of the camera. Still deciding my next step.

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

If I were going to buy now, I'd likely buy the d800. Most of my cameras have the pro feature sets and that is what I prefer, especially the AF module. I have a d7000, which is basically the DX version of the d600. It's a pretty nice camera, but I don't like the AF system as well as I like Nikon's pro AF, especially the frame coverage by the AF points.

Actually, I'd prefer the d600's 24mp sensor in the d800 body. In a way, I envy you. If I had some Canon lenses, I'd probably buy a 5dIII. It has the features and performance that I would love to have in a Nikon camera. Given that I have some of Nikon's best bodies, a ton of Nikon lenses, and that I've never owned a Canon, that is a statement that I'd never have thought I would say.

But, now there are a couple of rumors about a true d700 replacement body coming out late next year, which would likely be the camera that I would want. So, I'm going to sit back, watch how things shake out, and not buy anything.

good luck
Kerry

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:16 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.2 #4 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Before you change to Nikon you had better check out the 6D, apparently Kenny thinks its much better than the D600 (which he thought was better than the D800). Actually if you can afford a 5D III, then its really down to the D800's resolution that is the difference, since in that respect the 5D III and D600 are similar. I would think that the AF in the 5D III would be superior to either Nikon camera you are looking at.

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

StevenPA wrote:
I'm probably moving over to Nikon from Canon 5D. My sights are firmly set on the D600, but I think I should consider the D800 too, if only for a moment. When I run down the specs on both cameras, I don't see the D800 offering me anything *for my purposes* that the D600 doesn't. But I've never used Nikon (always been with the Canon 5D), so I don't really know. So...

What does the D800 offer *you* that the D600 doesn't?

The cost, size, and weight of the D600 are attractive points. I do a lot of hiking. Worst I've put
...Show more

Does your winter hiking involve landscape shooting? Wildlife at a distance? I've definitely enjoyed the 36MP files from my D800 in my own outdoor uses, and wouldn't want to give that up. The extra resolution also gives you some cropping overhead for wildlife.

Arka .

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:38 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #6 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Since you have had the 5d (classic?), you should seriously consider the 6d. While I am not a fan of the 6d because it lacked certain key features that I am used to, in terms of use, it is far far better than the d600.

I recently had a chance to use the d600 at a party. I swear, I never felt so much frustration working it. I thought the d7000 ergo was bad, but the d600 is brutal. Maybe I am not used to it, but I don't know why it requires me to keep pressing certain buttons in order to change the settings via the dials! WHY?! It reminded me of the old canon 1d2! Arrgh! Buttons everywhere including a tiny one next to the dial. Oh that's how you switch from single shot to continous?!

AF was great. Albeit all center-ed. It will still be far better than the old 5d system. Love the shutter sound. Photos were nice. Some noise at high iso in the shadows. Didn't do post because I handed it back to the owner after the party. I think it is a fine Nikon camera. But using it under fast changing conditions where I want to change up the settings was terrible. I was so tempted to just go Greenbox! Never had it happened even with the old D90!

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:44 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.2 #7 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

so live view doesn't represent exposure settings? I didn't know how good it was till I had the D4. While doing landscapes seeing the exposure being altered in liveview is great & I don't think I'd consider a D600 over the D800 for this reason.

The D7K doesn't do it either, now I know what I was missing

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:42 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.2 #8 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

StevenPA wrote:
Bryan, thanks for the reply. What does this mean? I've never used live view. Does exposure compensation not show up on the LCD? It's always at EV 0? This would be a biggie for sunsets/sunrises when you want to compensate for extreme dynamic range in a scene on the fly.

Every other digital camera I've used / owned allows you to preview the exposure in live view. Adjusting the shutter speed, ISO or aperture (maybe Exposure Comensation too, but that's something I never use) will show you how the image will be affected on the screen. It's very, very handy in tricky lighting situations like sunrise/set as you surmised (though it's usually an approximation of what the actual results will be and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual tonal range you'll be able to record).

The D600 does not allow you to do this - whether simply due to the design of the live view AF system (the aperture has to be wide open for the AF to work in live view) or whether Nikon intentionally crippled this functionality out of the firmware I can't say. I do know that there is a problem where you can't adjust the aperture in live view movie mode, and there is supposedly a fix coming to address that with a future firmware update. I'm hoping they'll enable live view preview for stills as well.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:18 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.2 #9 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It's all great info!

PeaktoPeek wrote:
Before you change to Nikon you had better check out the 6D, apparently Kenny thinks its much better than the D600 (which he thought was better than the D800). Actually if you can afford a 5D III, then its really down to the D800's resolution that is the difference, since in that respect the 5D III and D600 are similar. I would think that the AF in the 5D III would be superior to either Nikon camera you are looking at.

Thanks, Paul. The 6D is the other camera I'm considering. Your other post about moving from the 5D to D600 is great info too.

Arka wrote:
Does your winter hiking involve landscape shooting? Wildlife at a distance? I've definitely enjoyed the 36MP files from my D800 in my own outdoor uses, and wouldn't want to give that up. The extra resolution also gives you some cropping overhead for wildlife.

Thanks, Arka. No wildlife. Mostly landscape. I know the more MP the better, but 36 is far past practical limits for me. I'm not so serious, and I don't want to choke my computer system or upgrade right now.

BryanSwan wrote:
Every other digital camera I've used / owned allows you to preview the exposure in live view. Adjusting the shutter speed, ISO or aperture (maybe Exposure Comensation too, but that's something I never use) will show you how the image will be affected on the screen. It's very, very handy in tricky lighting situations like sunrise/set as you surmised (though it's usually an approximation of what the actual results will be and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual tonal range you'll be able to record).

The D600 does not allow you to do this - whether simply due to the design
...Show more

Bryan, thanks for the explanation! Hmmm... this is something to consider seriously then. Live view is a top-list feature for me. I'm gonna have to go to a shop to see how it actually works.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

I prefer the control set (button layout) on the D800 better -- especially the button layout on the top left of the camera. Also, I use the D800 mostly for video, and there are some bugs with the D600's ability to adjust the aperture while in live view mode, but hopefully they will clear that up with a firmware update.

Both are very good cameras, and in reality I could use the D600 for almost everything I use my D800 for --- but I just like the control set on the D800 better.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #11 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Steven, it sounds like you're confused about comparative build quality. As far as body size / toughness, the D800, not D600, is the equivalent of the 5D line. D600 is more 7D-ish.

That's not to say the D600/7D are delicate toys or anything, but they're not the D800/5D.

If I were going in the wilderness, I might pick the tougher one rather than the lighter one, but that's subjective.

The D600 is too small for my hands (even D800 is slightly too small) and perfect for some people's. Ergonomics too are subjective.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:31 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.2 #12 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

The other big issue is that you have a FANTASTIC collection of alt lenses and its more of a pain to convert them to use on Nikon bodies. Canon bodies are much easier to work with if you really want to be able to use your current lenses easily. I decided to basically dump all my alt glass because I was tired of missing focus when I took pictures of my kids, then I found out the AF on the 5D wasn't much better. Which is why I ended up here Anyway, you could probably pick and choose what you want to leitax, the OM and C/Y glass are doable, the Contax N glass and probably the Rokkor would be tough. Not to mention the Voightlander -- though you might be able to trade for an F mount in that. Your glass screams for higher resolution, so it would be great on either Nikon body if you want to convert them. Of course you could sell some and just get a 14-24, which is probably as good a wide as you'll find or maybe go all ZF glass. Tough call with the lenses you have, I just had a 17-40, 70-200 that I HAD to sell.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:52 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #13 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

The D600 is an awesome camera.
Cheaper, smaller and lighter than a D800.
This camera is favored by my wife.
If you get one bundled with a 24-85 FX lens, it is a real bargain.

Start with "Hands On". It fits my big hands much better.
The buttons are laid out better and my fat fingers do not get pinched in the narrow slot of the grip.
I can actually hand hold the D800 longer before getting tired.
The AF is slightly faster and more accurate.
I like the images at best quality medium size better than the D600 at Large Fine.
I also like the images better at 6400 ISO
The D800 is better for Video too.
Each difference may be very small but for me, the D800 is worth the difference in price.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.2 #14 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Lots of good points here and for $1000 more you would expect the D800 to have several advantages over the D600. But I am curious. Why do most people seem to think that the D800 will take more abuse than the D600? Is it simply because it is heavier? I know of 1- D800 that was dropped and it didn't survive. Has any poor unfortunate soul dropped or managed to break a D600? From what I have read, I don't think either model has a full magnesium chassis. I know Nikon says they are both weather resistant, as is the D7000. Just curious.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #15 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Do you think new firmware on D600 will enable aperture change in the movie mode? coz 28-85mm VR maybe a good movie lens

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #16 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Jun Zhou wrote:
Do you think new firmware on D600 will enable aperture change in the movie mode? coz 28-85mm VR maybe a good movie lens quote<<<

The AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 is much better.

Short answer no
Nikon seldom adds any functionality with firmware unless it is the byproduct of fixing something.
More likely if they feel the need to compete with Canon though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:05 AM
Isosceles

p.2 #17 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

moonpeep wrote:
Believe the d800 is weather sealed. Don't think the alternative is.

D600 sealed to the same degree as the D800.

I have the D700 and waited for the direct replacement of it. But now i'm started to lean towards the D800. For the little things, D600 IQ wise is just as good for me.

-eye piece shutter
-full magnesium body/bigger grip
-More direct buttons
-Aperture control in video
-Af system/points

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:43 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #18 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

3 most important things:

1. PC sync port. Need for many radio triggers if you want an on-camera flash as well as off-camera radio triggers.

2. 1/8000 sec for f/2 in the brightest days.

3. AF performance must be as good as possible, especially in low light. Larger spread for outer points is also helpful.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

Advantages that I appreciate of the D800 over the D600:

- 1/8000 shutter speed
- bigger AF coverage area and more AF sensors
- AF at lower light level
- AF at f/8 max aperture
- bigger size better suits my hand size
- CF cards

- Alan

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:44 AM
ishootsports3
• • •
p.2 #20 · What does D800 offer *you* that D600 doesn't?

I just picked up a D800 and the D600 really was never a consideration for me, the D800 is truly a pro camera and handles like one and for what I do that is very important to me, it is part of a system of all pro bodies and I use a lot of big glass which really exaggerates the smaller size of non pro cameras in my experience.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:49 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password