Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

SimonBl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

briantho wrote:
Reading the RX1 threads on the forums, It seems everyone (besides Helena) has returned their copy for one reason or another. Non-circular aperture, decentered lens, color shifts, oil on sensor... How come the QC is so bad for this top of the line camera?

Really? You must be reading different forums to me. I have one and I haven't returned it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:22 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.2 #2 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

RX1 35mm wide open @ ISO2500

Are you kidding me? I'm sure the old EF35/2 can beat it without question.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:47 AM
charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Phuang, with respect, I feel any FF cam with an excellent lens, the technique must be 100% accurate, and probably more so with the new breed of sensors. I don't feel the focus in your example is correct, and even at 1/125s, and there is obviously some movement.

Shot from last night at f/2.0 and 2500 ISO, and 1/80s. The Exiff should be intact

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:21 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

pdmphoto wrote:
That ISO2500 100% crop result is poor. I have ISO1600 shots from my old NX200 and 30/2 that are better. I'm a huge fan of full frame, but I see little full frame magic in the RX1. There are plenty of Zeiss and Leica 35 focal length pictures (viewed at internet sizes) taken with Canon, Nikon, or Leica FF bodies that do WOW me.

not sure what you mean by comparing a 1600 iso 45mm equiv shot to a 2500 iso 35mm shot? noise performance looks better than average for a FF camera to me, but i'm sure even my NEX-7 would look better in a studio lit shot (and much worse in a similar bar/restaurant shot). i have to say that the lens looks fantastic to me from the other shots i've seen in terms of dof transition and clarity (none of the shots in MR's reviews ever tell me much). i've not seen anything that looks better at 35mm equiv for short to medium distance in the f/2 to f/5.6 range (including my c/y 35/1.4). the zm 35/2 is probably better for landscape shots near infinity though.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:53 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

pdmphoto wrote:
The article seems bent on justifying the price, and Sony features (like the Auto ISO implementation). The sample pictures aren't anything special, and there isn't much talk about the negatives that have been brought up by other users.

To be completely honest, nothing he shoots floats my boat. That said I think he's probably quite good at that style, and owning an rx1 I see some of his points.

What gives me pause is when the xe1 gets a 23 mm 1.4. Well......it's going to cost a lot less.

One very positive abut the. Rx1 - and I think most Sony dslr's the file malleability is insane. I'm sure Nikon shooters aren't as impressed as me coming from a 5d2.

There is something Sony really needs to fix IMO. The ability to make the focus box smaller. With this narrow DOF it's just too big and I usually resort to DMF. But that doesn't work well at a party.

One final major minus,,, I agree with him that the accessory prices are RIDICULOUS.

I've put the metal lens cap back in the box and stuck a nex one on the front...and will get an aftermarket hood.

All that considered I feel he's relatively fair. Though I remain a bit unconvinced the lens and sensor combo fully delivers that zeiss pop.

I agree the camera is prone to shake and as a result when shooting stills I always use the two second timer. I ill order a soft release when I can find one which I think is appropriately priced and I don't have to order from pop flash (sorry)

In the interim, like the rx100. It's a light cam. If you can set up a memory or city/landscapes with the two second timer on.

And focus recompose doesn't work at f2 on full frame either.

Charles that's a wonderful shot. I've been working on my step sharpening but its not there yet.

sebboh wrote:
i for one am very happy to know that you can set the bounds on the iso, and very sad to know that you can't set min shutter speed. it's nice to know how different people feel about the handling as well. i would never expect MR to provide terribly useful shots for judging the minutia of image quality. he seems to have given up on that long ago, probably for the best.

Sorry for the triple quote. But. There are memory settings. If you want a min ss below1/80. Set the iso, shoot in s mode...etc etc.

My daytime memory is 2 second delay auto iso lowest to 800.

My in house is no delay min iso 800 max 3200

I've got room for more.

SimonBl wrote:
Really? You must be reading different forums to me. I have one and I haven't returned it.

Honestly I haven't even gotten around to checking it yet

Honestly this thing is so easy to shoot in manual, I don't see the problem. If need be. Use the ec dial. Depending on the mode it will affect shutter aperture or iso.

I certainly don't feel Sony gets in the way, if anything it's an easy to use camera.

But they also need to allow me a level and histogram at the same time. Damnit.

I'm just a pundit. But my 5d2/35L couldn't have done better especially as a jpg. (I forgot to turn on raw....oops)

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 09:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:54 AM
megancanada
• •
p.2 #6 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Sounds like it would be a good idea to hold off buying the RX1 for awhile. I was thinking of grabbing one today but it appears there might be some issues which need to be worked out.

Was looking for a replacment for my X100 that I sold.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:15 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

Well as soon as I'm over being sick and have a blue sky. Ill join the test.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:19 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

h00ligan wrote:
Sorry for the triple quote. But. There are memory settings. If you want a min ss below1/80. Set the iso, shoot in s mode...etc etc.

My daytime memory is 2 second delay auto iso lowest to 800.

My in house is no delay min iso 800 max 3200

I've got room for more.

ah, so min max iso settings can be saved in the memory modes, good to know. i'd actually be more interested in raising the min shutter speed for shooting kids while still having the ability to control aperture. i guess manual mode actually works with auto iso on the rx1, so that should be fine.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:41 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

sebboh wrote:
ah, so min max iso settings can be saved in the memory modes, good to know. i'd actually be more interested in raising the min shutter speed for shooting kids while still having the ability to control aperture. i guess manual mode actually works with auto iso on the rx1, so that should be fine.

Do we know if exposure comp. works with using autoISO in M mode? The Fuji X100 allows you to use autoISO in M mode, but exp. comp. doesn't work, so it was never that useful to me.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:47 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.2 #10 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

I confirm in M mode Auto ISO exposure comp works just fine (until it reaches 6400 iso)
douglasf13 wrote:
Do we know if exposure comp. works with using autoISO in M mode? The Fuji X100 allows you to use autoISO in M mode, but exp. comp. doesn't work, so it was never that useful to me.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

vovkinson wrote:
I confirm in M mode Auto ISO exposure comp works just fine (until it reaches 6400 iso)

Yep, so along with Leica and Nikon hey join the club of companies that do it right, at least in this regard. Baffling that Fuji doesn't.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:25 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

sebboh wrote:

Yah, so what I'd do is set the min to 400 and shoot at 2.0-2.8.. or even 800 then you KNOW you've got it covered.

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:55 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

A guy posted size comparison shots on Amazon between this a few other small cameras. It's not as small as my impression of it was in other pictures, but it's much smaller than I ever thought a full-frame digital would be.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

thedigitalbean wrote:
Yep, so along with Leica and Nikon hey join the club of companies that do it right, at least in this regard. Baffling that Fuji doesn't.

Yeah, that's good news. Granted, Sony still needs to add minimum shutter speed to autoISO.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

I canceled my order before it was shipped, glad I did, I want to make sure it's really worth the high dollar cost.

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to see if it's worth the cost for ME.

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:47 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

jojomon11 wrote:
I canceled my order before it was shipped, glad I did, I want to make sure it's really worth the high dollar cost.

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to see if it's worth the cost for ME.

And how will you know if its worth the cost to YOU if YOU don't actually try one yourself?

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:07 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

I had written the camera off when Sony first announced it. No EVF, fixed lens, WTF were the designers thinking? Then I got two very high praise for the camera from two people who's tastes and opinions I trust very much so decided in the last minute and mostly on impulse to give it a whirl. I figured that if it was a real dog, I would return it and if I just didn't like it sell it for a minor loss and consider it a rental. I sure am glad I did as its a camera that does resonate with me (I also got a Fuji X-E1 /w 18-55 this week and that is definitely NOT resonating with me). There are many parts of Michael Reichmann's review I agree with, both the positives and the negatives. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take a $2800 gamble and am glad I did.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

thedigitalbean wrote:
And how will you know if its worth the cost to YOU if YOU don't actually try one yourself?

I agree but to see if it's for me I would need to spend almost 3k for it

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:27 AM
megancanada
• •
p.2 #19 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

I decided to give one a try so I picked one up today that was in stock.

No EVF in stock, that may take a while to get. If you know where I can get one please let me know.

I needed something to do over my Christmas holidays.

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:32 PM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #20 · Sony RX-1 Review Luminous Landscape

thedigitalbean wrote:

It could be argued that Pentax is the only company who truly does it right by offering a dedicated TAv mode instead of building automation into the manual mode - and they have been doing this for a long time now.

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:56 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password