Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

17-40L, was behind me during a family group session and a waiter snaffled it. They never saw him again apparently.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:45 PM
derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I had my bookbag stolen at a wedding where I was doing a photobooth. Fortunately the only thing in there was a 32GB USB drive.... never had anything stolen at a wedding that I was actually shooting though.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Chris Geiger

p.2 #3 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I've never had anything stolen at a wedding. I don't bring a bag inside at weddings. For the reception I put one flash on a stand and keep two bodies with flash on me all evening. Recently I have been shooting with an 85 on one body and a 24-70 on the other. I have a thinktank belt pack for storing little extras like flash filters, batteries, and tube extension.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:28 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I was shooting at the Powell Crowsley Estate in Tampa Florida and had a SB-24 stolen. It was a marvelous job as well. Our lights were assembled and hidden in an upstairs room ready for the reception. Just before the wedding I did one last check of the equipment to make sure it was ready to turn on and rock and roll.
Came back a little less than an hour later and the flash was gone. None of my big lights (ABs) were stolen and none of the other less expensive stuff was stolen either (stands, triggers, etc.).

I told the wedding planner and building manager and neither were much help.
The person or persons (I believe more than one was involved) did a great job because they took something that would be easy to hock quickly, was small, was not terribly expensive (meaning I would just suck it up and not involve cops for reports for insurance) and was not something that I would "stop" shooting for to look around.

I am quite sure that the staff had been ripping people off quite a bit because I talked with a few other local people and they reported the same type of thing happening.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM
dlateulade

p.2 #5 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Doug, good to know. The PC Estate is a few hours away, and it's on my "wish list" of places to shoot -- thanks for the heads up!

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Marici Photo
• •
p.2 #6 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Shot a wedding in Nov where the videographers had all their equipment sort of by the stage/DJ before the start of the reception.

Well while the reception hall was still being set up and we were busy capturing detail/inside shots of the venue...one of the servers picked up a bag full of 3-4 canon lenses and 2 bodies that the videographer was using.

Unfortunately they didnt realize until later that the bags were placed by an exit door...which was few steps away from the exit door right out to the parking lot. The guy lost about 15K in equipment. Cops showed up and said they would have to go through the videos to find the guy but it was unlikely they would catch him.

lesson - carry less, try to keep the bag on your shoulders as much as possible ..and dont leave it by exit doors.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

awad wrote:
My girlfriend was second shooting for another photographer in the beginning of november and when she got home at the end of the night, noticed that her 580exII was gone. After confirming the main photographer didn't accidentally pack it up, we called the venue and they didn't have it either. Since it wasn't expensive enough to file an insurance claim, we just chocked it up to a loss.

Sure enough, today the main photographer called us and let us know she received a package from the bride containing our flash. Apparently someone she knew took it (not sure why...) and
...Show more

Can't believe she didn't notice until she got home! One thing I've learned over the years is to have a list of all your gear and check before you leave to make sure you haven't either lost anything or gained anything.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM
sealsphoto
• •
p.2 #8 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Back when 5d classic was new, I bought two. About a week after I got them I had one disappear at a large Catholic church wedding. About 350 people leaving the church when my assistant lost track of it. Turns out the church custodian found it where she had set it down on a pew, and when nobody came looking for it, he took it to the church office. The church secretary tracked me down on Monday and called me to see if it was mine. Talk about one happy camper!

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:41 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.2 #9 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I've left a 430ex behind at a venue twice now. Super lucky to get it back both times. The last time I didn't notice til I got home the next day (6 hour drive) and the MOB mailed it out to me.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:58 AM
BriMcD
• •
p.2 #10 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Cable locked my Think Tank bag to the DJ's speaker stand and told him, he was cool with it. A guest tried moving the bag (not sure if he was taking it but seemed like he was. He didn't have an answer for touching my gear) which was totally out of the way, not bothering anyone, not a tripping hazard, and he knocked over the speaker. Very bad.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photosymbol
• •
p.2 #11 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Maybe they 'held' it until the images were completed?

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:12 AM
tdurnan
• • •
p.2 #12 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Nothing taken yet (knock on wood). We put studio stickers on everything with our name number and email...just in case. Not that it will help if someone legitimately wants to steel it though.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:26 AM
koprivakopriva
• •
p.2 #13 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Wasn't a wedding, but I was a guest at a graduation and had my camera with me. I sat down to eat, set my camera on the table in front of me, turned my back to the table for a split second to talk to someone, turned around and it was gone. Sony a700 and 50mm f1.4.

Turns out that the venue had hired a photographer of their own for the occasion, and the manager had assumed that I had stolen my camera from the photographer. When I turned my back, the manager snuck in and yanked it. When he brought it to the photographer, the guy said he didn't shoot Sony...

That manager then had to send out an apology to the entire guest list. Fortunately I was able to get the stuff back only two days later, but I can't help but wonder. How do you see a camera in someone's hand and just assume that they had stolen it?

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:51 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Never had my gear stolen but once found a canon backpack at a venue that someone left. I turned it into the office. I hope they got it back. It had a 50 d I think and some ed-s lenses in it.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:33 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.2 #15 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I've never had anything stolen but did once overhear a few guys at one of my first (ie low budget) weddings planning on stealing some of my gear. That was rather stressing. Thankfully I knew the dj and stowed everything behind him with a heads up. Yeeps!

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #16 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Just curious as to how this could actually happen... did a guest or someone else warn you about this, or did you actually heard Thug #1 say to Thug #2, "You distract her while I sneak out w/ her lens"?

julieawhitlock wrote:
once overhear a few guys at one of my first (ie low budget) weddings planning on stealing some of my gear.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

10K worth. Insurance wrote a check for almost all of it. No cards lost. I had them on me. I'm a good boy scout.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:20 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Dude this year alone I've had 3 580exii's grabbed, 2 600ex's, a Canon 15mm fisheye and a 100L IS grabbed. People working these higher end venues see these "rich" folks with these "extravagant" weddings and they just think, whatever, they can afford it.

Early on in my career I've accidentally left stuff at the bride's house/hotel room/etc - are you sure that's not what happened?

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:33 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Maybe guest "found" it outside or somewhere you left it while shooting? Happy you got it back

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #20 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Nothing like has ever happened, but my wife & helper has an eye out for the rest of our equipment.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:10 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password