FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

StevenZ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

By far the most popular attraction in Death Valley are the sand dunes, and very much to my dismay.

As a photographer, the problem I encountered in both the early morning and late afternoon were thousands upon thousands of tourists' footprints. Aesthetically, it's such a buzz kill and really impedes your artistic vision when setting up a shot. You find yourself trying to crop out the trampled sand in-camera but there are just so many of them, it is next to impossible. The shot you see here was taken late afternoon moments before the sun set. While walking back to the parking lot, I took a detour to the east and found myself standing on pristine sand so I composed the shot with the unspoiled sand in the foreground and the much higher dunes in the distance. It would have taken me forever to clone out the prints so I just left it as is.

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery21/main.php/d/105501-1/Sandunes2ColourWeb.jpg

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:00 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

I like the shot that you came up with very much. The clouds add a nice contrast.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Hey Steven,

Yeah, all the footprints are a drag out there. You have to hope for a strong wind during the night to blow them all away, or as you did, venture more to the east into the dunes. That's what I usually do. I like your shot here, it looks very nice!

Jim

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:22 PM
StevenZ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

JimFox wrote:
Hey Steven,

Yeah, all the footprints are a drag out there. You have to hope for a strong wind during the night to blow them all away, or as you did, venture more to the east into the dunes. That's what I usually do. I like your shot here, it looks very nice!

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I was hoping for an over night wind storm but no such luck.
My choices were to shoot from a distance or to zoom in to a specific sand pattern not affected by footprints which I did. Next time I'll follow your advice about moving to the east.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

JimFox wrote:
Hey Steven,

Jim

Ditto
Easily the best day I had there was just after a real blow.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

It's difficult to time the perfect time to shoot there. You did a great job on this one. Very pleasant photo.
Fred

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:23 PM
fcomisar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Excellent composition, texture and color. Well done.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM
StevenZ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's difficult to time the perfect time to shoot there. You did a great job on this one. Very pleasant photo.
Fred

Thanks, Fred, hopefully on my next visit I'll have windy conditions to eradicate the prints on the dunes.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

You did a nice job of it. There can be a price to pay either way. It was blowing like crazy the morning I arrived. Clear sand but it took me a week to clean it out of my equipment afterwards.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:18 AM
StevenZ
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Mickey wrote:
You did a nice job of it. There can be a price to pay either way. It was blowing like crazy the morning I arrived. Clear sand but it took me a week to clean it out of my equipment afterwards.

Thanks, Mickey, yes there's always a price to pay.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:58 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Brilliant. What a terrific shot. The soft clouds provide a wonderful background for the beautifully lit sand.

Cheers,
Ed

Dec 20, 2012 at 05:54 PM
StevenZ
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

teked wrote:
Brilliant. What a terrific shot. The soft clouds provide a wonderful background for the beautifully lit sand.

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks, Ed, really appreciate the feedback.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

Wonderful lines, lights and shadows. I don't see much foot prints here. Very nice.
I like the somewhat toned down clouds which make the sand dunes look even more gorgeous.
-Kee

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM
StevenZ
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Death Valley Sand Dunes

rhee wrote:
Wonderful lines, lights and shadows. I don't see much foot prints here. Very nice.
I like the somewhat toned down clouds which make the sand dunes look even more gorgeous.
-Kee

Thanks Kee, the footprints are on and around the background dunes. Appreciated your comment.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:21 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.