Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

zlatko wrote:
You're narrowing this discussion to a few parameters, FOV or perspective or resolving power, with the aim of proving a point about pricing -- a point that then depends on the discussion of the merits of two complete and different systems. I'm just not interested in a discussion about the merits of two systems, which goes far beyond your parameters. It would take far too much time and would take this thread far off topic.

The price of the lens is what it is. It's more than some lenses, less than others. I'm no expert on lens pricing and don't wish
...Show more

You're right, the discussion really distills down to price. My comparison with the MTF alternative was to provide some basis for a reasonable price, without which we'd have no reference point at all to work with. The other point was the 35 f/2 IS as a system is not as unique as it would first seem, again supporting the reference point. Ultimately the market will decide what the appropriate price for this lens will be and I'm still thinking it's somewhere around $499 on a volume basis.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

I don't think the Canon price will go that low. I had the Zeiss ZE 35/2 -- no AF and certainly no IS. I paid over $900 used, and later sold it for around $850 in excellent condition. This Canon lens might not be exactly the optical equal of the Zeiss, but it is close enough and has other features I desire and aren't offered by any other Canon lens (or even aftermarket). So if it goes for less than $750, it is of interest to me. Perhaps in a few years the 35/2 IS will go for under $500 used. The Sigma is the AF anomaly that everyone now wants prices to shift towards, but I don't think that will be completely fulfilled. We'll see in a few more months or a year.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

If you want a sharp 35mm prime and don't need AF, get the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35/1.4

Sharp all the way to the edge.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:58 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Are there any tests/reviews? I haven't found any.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM
artyH

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Lensrentals compared the 35F2 IS to older 35F2, the L and the Sigma. It looks like the new 35F2IS is sharper in the corners on full frame than the older lens, and close to the 35L in many ways at F2. I shoot crop, so I will be content for awhile with my older 35F2. For full-frame, the better corner performance would make the improvement in the far corners worthwhile.
I expect that full reviews will be coming up soon, and over time, the price may drop a little.

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:46 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Interesting lens, but waaay overpriced in my view. I did buy the 40 2.8 pancake, which conversely is think a fantastic lens for the money.

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:20 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

For the Samyang:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1017831/

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Shield
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

ulmer wrote:
Mine just arrived today! I really have nothing worth showing but I've taken a few test pictures indoors and the lens is looking pretty nice.

It's decently sharp in the center at f2 and the corners are somewhat soft but not horrible by any means. I already sold my old 35mm f2 so it's hard to compare. I'd like to say it's a bit better, but not a huge difference. At f2.8 the center gets noticeably sharper still and the corners improve a bit.

It vignettes a lot at f2. Improving noticeably at f2.8..

How's the vignetting on the 24mm @ F/2.8?

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

ulmer wrote:
The IS on the 24mm and 35mm are both completely silent. No clicks, no whirring. Quiet enough that you won't even be sure it's working. I assume the 28mm is the same.

Good luck with the choice! They're all quite nice.

The 100 f2.8L is a noisy beast when shooting video.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:23 PM
ulmer

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

The new 24mm f2.8 IS seems to have a little less vignetting at 2.8, but it's still a little over a stop worth, as tested by slrgear.com. It seems if you need no vignetting in a modern prime at 2.8, you do have to buy the big heavy ~1.4 version.

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ulmer

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Oh and I just realized that you were probably asking for a comparison of 24mm at 2.8 with 35mm at 2.8. I was thinking of the 35 at wide open.

The 35 at 2.8 seems to have less vignetting than the 24, but it's still noticeable on stills. I have no idea how to measure it. I'll try to post a pic in a moment.

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:40 PM
ulmer

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Ok, here you go. This is not scientific and I don't guarantee my results!

This scene, the back of a door, wasn't perfectly lit but it was fairly even. It looks like the lighting was a little darker on the left side.

You'll notice that the ISO on the 24mm shot is 1/3 stop faster. I think the exposure in the center came out pretty close, and closer than if I reduced exposure by 1/3 of a stop in Lightroom, so I left it.

These are all from RAW, exported from Lightroom with no changes.

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Shield
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Sounds good. Would love to see a "non" lightroomed shot from the 24 just too see how bad the vignetting is. Again it's a pain to grade and correct for video files.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM
ulmer

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Just posted but it ended up above your response. Looks like the 35mm is much better at 2.8 than the 24mm, which makes sense.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Shield
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Thanks Ulmer. I think I'm going to avoid these new 24/28/35 Canon's. At the end of the day I have the 24-105 for IS video work, and F/4 is shallow enough. If I want super shallow video I'll just use a monopod / tripod with one of the faster lenses.

You have helped me save money my friend; I appreciate it. Also don't think I'm bad mouthing your lenses either; for stills they are great and vignetting is easy to correct with the slider in LR. Of course I don't know if ALL of it can be corrected with the 35 @ F/2...

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:13 PM
ulmer

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Shield wrote:
Thanks Ulmer. I think I'm going to avoid these new 24/28/35 Canon's. At the end of the day I have the 24-105 for IS video work, and F/4 is shallow enough. If I want super shallow video I'll just use a monopod / tripod with one of the faster lenses.

You have helped me save money my friend; I appreciate it. Also don't think I'm bad mouthing your lenses either; for stills they are great and vignetting is easy to correct with the slider in LR. Of course I don't know if ALL of it can be corrected with the 35
...Show more

No worries. Glad I could help!

I'm on the fence about the 24mm but like that it's nice and small when I don't want to tote around my 24-70. I'm really loving the 35mm. It did fantastic for holiday indoor pics, mostly shot at 2.8 or so. Even the f2 vignetting isn't horrible to correct in Lightroom and I'm shooting 99% stills.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Shield
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

I almost had a 24mm F/2.8 IS won on ebay; got outbid at the last second. My max bid was $500 and it ended @ $510.

I guess I'm glad I lost...

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Shield: I will say it seemed to focus much closer than the 9.48" spec I read about. .

Sounds like you might have been measuring from front lens glass to subject. Closest focus is measured from sensor plane (rear of camera) to subject.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Shield
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Don Clary wrote:
Shield: .

Sounds like you might have been measuring from front lens glass to subject. Closest focus is measured from sensor plane (rear of camera) to subject.

Really? Didn't know that. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS - any examples?

Shield wrote:
I almost had a 24mm F/2.8 IS won on ebay; got outbid at the last second. My max bid was $500 and it ended @ $510.

I guess I'm glad I lost...

A new one is only 629.00 at Amazon.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:39 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password