Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
  

Archive 2012 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?
  
 
BoneCounter
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


mholdef wrote:
I heard from RRS yesterday and they said they are 3-5 weeks out before shipping


Hopefully that estimate is accurate. On January 23rd one of their reps told me they were 3-4 weeks from shipping.



Feb 22, 2013 at 03:41 PM
jhinkey
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Danner wrote:
+1


Since EB-1 did not respond to my inquiry as to what I'd be missing by not using an A-S system to support my fine lenses, perhaps you can enlighten me . . . .

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions



Feb 22, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Danner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Haven't read the whole thread, but here is the Kirk solution:

Kirk Collar and Plate



Feb 22, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Danner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Since ED-1 did not respond to my inquiry as to what I'd be missing by not using an A-S system to support my fine lenses, perhaps you can enlighten me . . . .


Try one sometime, I think you'll enjoy the solid mount and convenience.



Feb 22, 2013 at 04:23 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Danner wrote:
Haven't read the whole thread, but here is the Kirk solution:

Kirk Collar and Plate


a bit more then a subtle difference between the RRS an the Kirk. but 2 good options.



Feb 22, 2013 at 04:42 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Since EB-1 did not respond to my inquiry as to what I'd be missing by not using an A-S system to support my fine lenses, perhaps you can enlighten me . . . .


I wouldn't say wacky. the advantages are a quick, solid locking, rigid system that allows for a great deal of versatility in use of your "fine" equipment



Feb 22, 2013 at 04:47 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


mholdef wrote:
I heard from RRS yesterday and they said they are 3-5 weeks out before shipping


I called today, and was told around the end of March. :|



Feb 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Since EB-1 did not respond to my inquiry as to what I'd be missing by not using an A-S system to support my fine lenses, perhaps you can enlighten me . . . .


I'd say simplicity, availability of L-brackets and large selection of products optimized for landscape shooting.

It also woud up making my Black Rapid better, but that is another story.



Feb 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


davidnholtjr wrote:
+1

This post is way off the OP's question and is not worth reading anymore.


Nor is this thread worth reading.



Feb 26, 2013 at 01:48 AM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Today is Feb 27th, I just got my 70-200 f4. It is light and delightful.
I could do wiithout the $200+ collar for awhile. I think some one would answer our call for a $10.00 collar.
The ever resourfull Chinese will, I think. Want to bet?

BTW, this lens is made in Thailand. And the Japanese are charging a fortune for it.
We need a revolustion here.



Feb 28, 2013 at 04:16 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


nugeny wrote:
Today is Feb 27th, I just got my 70-200 f4. It is light and delightful.
I could do wiithout the $200+ collar for awhile. I think some one would answer our call for a $10.00 collar.
The ever resourfull Chinese will, I think. Want to bet?

BTW, this lens is made in Thailand. And the Japanese are charging a fortune for it.
We need a revolustion here.


If the MTF curves are great, and the durability is there, who cares? It is price for value. I love mine a lot.

Strange post...


Also, I'm not trusting my $1400 lens to a $40 knock-off anything. I'm not a guy who spends money for the sake of money (or brand), but there are certain places where I think it is kind of crazy to cheap out (batteries, memory cards and certainly something that keeps an expensive piece of glass and my body from falling from a height...)



Edited on Feb 28, 2013 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions



Feb 28, 2013 at 04:50 PM
jhinkey
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


nugeny wrote:
Today is Feb 27th, I just got my 70-200 f4. It is light and delightful.
I could do wiithout the $200+ collar for awhile. I think some one would answer our call for a $10.00 collar.
The ever resourfull Chinese will, I think. Want to bet?

BTW, this lens is made in Thailand. And the Japanese are charging a fortune for it.
We need a revolustion here.


No reason you have to pay $200 for the RT-1 - I got mine for $159.

There are already Chinese versions for $40 on ebay . . .



Feb 28, 2013 at 05:20 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
No reason you have to pay $200 for the RT-1 - I got mine for $159.

There are already Chinese versions for $40 on ebay . . .


Thank you, I just paid $34.00
I have been buying tripod, collar, gimball for my Nikon 400/2.8 vr.. never have to return any thing. I think the Chinese do have a good quality control. Any way, at $34..0o as compared with $212.00. NO brainer and isn't even a gamble.



Feb 28, 2013 at 07:56 PM
zacheryjensen
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


M635_Guy wrote:
If the MTF curves are great, and the durability is there, who cares? It is price for value. I love mine a lot.

Strange post...

Also, I'm not trusting my $1400 lens to a $40 knock-off anything. I'm not a guy who spends money for the sake of money (or brand), but there are certain places where I think it is kind of crazy to cheap out (batteries, memory cards and certainly something that keeps an expensive piece of glass and my body from falling from a height...)



Your logic would work if Nikon didn't have a thorough history of providing godawful telephoto lens collars/feet. In many cases, you're far more likely to lose your lens to the ground by NOT replacing them with third party options.

That said, I'll stick with RRS or Kirk products, partly because I use Arca Swiss clamps everywhere, partly because their products have, in my experience, been very good. Trust is a big problem with photography accessories.



Feb 28, 2013 at 09:53 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


zacheryjensen wrote:
Your logic would work if Nikon didn't have a thorough history of providing godawful telephoto lens collars/feet. In many cases, you're far more likely to lose your lens to the ground by NOT replacing them with third party options.

That said, I'll stick with RRS or Kirk products, partly because I use Arca Swiss clamps everywhere, partly because their products have, in my experience, been very good. Trust is a big problem with photography accessories.


For the record, I'm one of the folks with an RRS collar on order. I'm not a giant fan of Nikon collars, but I'm not going to trust a $40 collar from an unknown company on eBay with my $1400 lens...



Feb 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


M635_Guy wrote:
For the record, I'm one of the folks with an RRS collar on order. I'm not a giant fan of Nikon collars, but I'm not going to trust a $40 collar from an unknown company on eBay with my $1400 lens...


Are you now trying to justify the cost of your collar? Well, we all overapay from time to time.



Mar 02, 2013 at 05:18 AM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


nugeny wrote:
Are you now trying to justify the cost of your collar? Well, we all overapay from time to time.


So let me get this straight - you're griping that this lens is made in Thailand, but you're going to buy a cheap knockoff for your expensive lens?

Whatever - I think there are some places where going cheap isn't all that smart. I have no issue paying RRS for their quality.

Good luck with your...whatever it is...



Mar 02, 2013 at 02:49 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #18 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


M635_Guy wrote:
So let me get this straight - you're griping that this lens is made in Thailand, but you're going to buy a cheap knockoff for your expensive lens?

Whatever - I think there are some places where going cheap isn't all that smart. I have no issue paying RRS for their quality.

Good luck with your...whatever it is...


I am sure you did detect that I was trying to be funny, may be not so succesful:
"BTW, this lens is made in Thailand. And the Japanese are charging a fortune for it. "
and right away I added:
"We need a revolustion here"

I haven't recieved my cheapy collar, but am rather happey with the lens .



Mar 02, 2013 at 03:12 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


nugeny wrote:
I am sure you did detect that I was trying to be funny, may be not so succesful:
"BTW, this lens is made in Thailand. And the Japanese are charging a fortune for it. "
and right away I added:
"We need a revolustion here"

I haven't recieved my cheapy collar, but am rather happey with the lens .


Really? Me too! I like it so much that I'm not going to trust it to a no-name collar!

...and considering you misspelled two words in your last sentence, forgive me if your joke slipped by me.

But seriously - post it up with some opinions when it arrives. And keep an eye on the hinge - that is what will eventually be the problem IMHO...



Mar 02, 2013 at 03:55 PM
campyone
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


I haven't read this entire thread so if this is a dupe my apologies. However, I bought a 3rd-party collar for about $20 for my Canon 70-200 lens. It looked very close to the Canon collar and seemed to do an adequate job. However, I found that if I lightly pushed the back of the camera with the collar on and the camera mounted on a tripod the camera would move very slightly. I then tried the same thing with a friend's Canon collar and found that with it the camera didn't move at all. So I bought the Canon collar.

Whether that was really necessary or not I don't know. I'm not in the habit of pushing the back of my camera while making a photograph. But FWIW, the difference seemed to be in the way the lock that closes the collar is made on the two versions of the collar. If I had it to do over again I don't think I'd have spent the extra $100 or so on the Canon collar, the knock-off probably would be fine in actual use.



Mar 02, 2013 at 04:21 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password