Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

There's no frustration here. I'm just observing that this seems to be a non-intrusive way to provide a value-added feature for Nikon's users, with very little downside due to the particular nature of the A-S mounting system (vs. say, Manfrotto's system which would interfere significantly with a photographer's choice of mounting systems).

The wheel analogy is spurious at best. There are many performance and aesthetic reasons why wheels vary. If we can bring it back to cameras, I'm glad that we've come to a conclusion on a couple well-defined memory cards, casting off MemoryStick, XD cards, and the like. I'm pleased that the tripod mounts on our camera bodies are all one size. And I would be happy if, when I purchased a lens, I could use a mounting standard that is adopted by many manufacturers.

(yes, I know it's not a ratified standard by a regulating body, but that's just semantics)

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
BoneCounter

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

jhinkey wrote:
FYI - The 70-200/4 RT-1 collar is now $170 at B&H - nice to see the price getting more towards reasonable territory. Perhaps those $40 e-bay versions have put some pricing pressure on Nikon . . .

EDIT - I may grab one of these as I need one in the next few weeks and can't wait for RRS unless it will be out in a week or so. Any new updates on when they will have their version out?

I emailed RRS with questions on a couple of products, including the 70-200 f4 collar. For what it's worth, this was the response to when it might become available:

"At the moment we are still in the design phase for the LC-A12 collar and footówe do not have a set date when they are going to be shipping out. At this point in the design process it will usually take another 3-4 weeks before we put the plate into production and start shipping. "

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

binary visions wrote:
There's no frustration here. I'm just observing that this seems to be a non-intrusive way to provide a value-added feature for Nikon's users, with very little downside due to the particular nature of the A-S mounting system (vs. say, Manfrotto's system which would interfere significantly with a photographer's choice of mounting systems).

The wheel analogy is spurious at best. There are many performance and aesthetic reasons why wheels vary. If we can bring it back to cameras, I'm glad that we've come to a conclusion on a couple well-defined memory cards, casting off MemoryStick, XD cards, and the like. I'm
...Show more

I don't think the example is spurious in the least, nor do I think the semantics comment is accurate. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Cheers!

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

sjms wrote:
every picture tells a story

The folks with the white lenses are amateurs.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

and you are what?

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

some more amateurs

there's another reason these guys and girls don't have their lenses pimped out. they don't own them. these are generally owned by either the respective maker or the service they work for. why own when you can just borrow. it's work. I own up to a 300/2.8. after that its hello NPS.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:07 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! Yet another multipage pissing contest that devolves into more obscure arcanity as it begins to wander the countryside, totally losing sight of the original question. Whatever the original question might have been is now pointless as each combatant tries to prove superior knowledge and abilities, impressing absolutely nobody. Keep up the good BS, everyone!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

runamuck wrote:
HEAR YE! HEAR YE! Yet another multipage pissing contest that devolves into more obscure arcanity as it begins to wander the countryside, totally losing sight of the original question. Whatever the original question might have been is now pointless as each combatant tries to prove superior knowledge and abilities, impressing absolutely nobody. Keep up the good BS, everyone!

well then could I ask what was you constructive act in this tale of woe?

I am just giving a "black and white" example of the world. there are opinions and then there is demonstrable reality

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:29 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

runamuck wrote:

+1

This post is way off the OP's question and is not worth reading anymore.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:11 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

davidnholtjr wrote:
+1

This post is way off the OP's question and is not worth reading anymore.

So why are you reading it, let alone responding to it?

Are you guys surprised that a thread might drift topics, just like a conversation does in normal life? Is this your first time on the internet?

And why do you think that comments like "this isn't worth reading" are somehow superior to actually having a discussion, even if it's off-topic?

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Well, I just broke down and ordered the RT-1 from B&H - they had it for $169 minus $30 in reward $$ I had with them.

Needed it for two weeks from yesterday for an upcoming shoot that I may use the 70-200/4 with - perhaps in combo with my 70-200/2.8AFS VRII.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I get it next week.

Be nice to each other now

John

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

nice rationalization.

"Needed it for two weeks from yesterday for an upcoming shoot that I may use the 70-200/4 with - perhaps in combo with my 70-200/2.8AFS VRII."

plus evidently you are not using it with the AS system

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:45 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

sjms wrote:
nice rationalization.

"Needed it for two weeks from yesterday for an upcoming shoot that I may use the 70-200/4 with - perhaps in combo with my 70-200/2.8AFS VRII."

plus evidently you are not using it with the AS system

True - none of my tripod collars use the AS system - I get along just fine with the 1/4-20 bolt - I have a Manfrotto geared head that I use and have a couple of small quick release plates that I screw to the various lens collars or the camera body. Though my setup looks a little wonky I've never had any vibration issues as a result - though I've only used my 70-200/2.8VRII, 80-200AFS, or 400/5.6 ED AI - nothing like a 500/4P or 600/5.6 AIS. I may have to upgrade a bit when I get one of these . . . .

John

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

Seriously, it is a bit whacky not to use an A-S system of some sort to support fine lenses. You are missing a lot.

EBH

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:49 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

EB-1 wrote:
Seriously, it is a bit whacky not to use an A-S system of some sort to support fine lenses. You are missing a lot.

EBH

Really, what exactly am I missing? I'm not being a smart ass, I just don't see the value for me.

- John

Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

if he has no investment in the AS system he has no need to go that route. plain and simple

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

I just received my RT-1 collar and it seems to work well. It's not smooth (it's kind of scratchy like others have reported) when the lens rotates in the collar, but it seems to do the job. Nikon has made it so that it's a bit harder to accidentally open the latch, which is nice.

My only qualm is that you can't really snug it down super tight since it's got an internal cam mechanism that does the tightening to a certain degree and then you can't tighten it anymore - prevents you from over-tightening it I suppose which could distort the lens barrel.

I'll use it more this weekend.

It is very well made though . . .

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Loren E
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

So no updates on the RRS availability?

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:32 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

I heard from RRS yesterday and they said they are 3-5 weeks out before shipping

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Danner
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

+1

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:12 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password