Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              5       6       end
  

Archive 2012 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?
  
 
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Lee Saxon wrote:
Why? That doesn't make much sense to me.



Because:
- If the Nikon one is adequate for the job, and can be had for $159 in some places, then why spend more
- Nikon typically over-charges for such stuff, thus if someone is charging around the same amount for a replacement version it should be much better in some way to justify the cost

So, I have yet to find anyone reporting that the Nikon version does not work well except for making not a very nice sound when rotating it and the price being steep (though if in fact it can be had for $159 maybe that's not so bad if it's a solid support for this lens).



Jan 15, 2013 at 06:40 AM
mholdef
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


I had spoken with RRS a couple months ago and they said that it wasn't in their plans to make a tripod collar for the 70-200/4. I just checked and they now are allowing preorders !!!

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=LC-A12-Pkg&type=3&eq=

Mark



Jan 16, 2013 at 07:43 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Because:
- If the Nikon one is adequate for the job, and can be had for $159 in some places, then why spend more
- Nikon typically over-charges for such stuff, thus if someone is charging around the same amount for a replacement version it should be much better in some way to justify the cost

So, I have yet to find anyone reporting that the Nikon version does not work well except for making not a very nice sound when rotating it and the price being steep (though if in fact it can be had for $159 maybe that's not
...Show more


everyone has a different view. mine is if there is a considerably better design out there (and there is) and its within a margin for price along with the fact that there is none thats included with this lens i'll go with the one that is integrated with my attachment system. either way one goes the cost is approx within that margin the same use overall



Jan 16, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Zebrabot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Wow, it better be way better than the Nikon for almost the Nikon price. Is anyone really dissatisfied with the Nikon tripod collar?


In general nikon feet are some of the worst designs possible. I can't understand why they suck at these things.






Jan 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Zebrabot wrote:
In general nikon feet are some of the worst designs possible. I can't understand why they suck at these things.



While that may have been true 10 or 15 years ago, it isn't the case now.



Jan 17, 2013 at 04:15 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Zebrabot wrote:
In general nikon feet are some of the worst designs possible. I can't understand why they suck at these things.



they are no better or worse then any of the other camera lens makers. it's a basic product .



Jan 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Zebrabot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


sjms wrote:
they are no better or worse then any of the other camera lens makers. it's a basic product .


really?

one 1/4x20 thread for holding up a 200mm f/2? It's not even a handle either.

even the chinese can do better than that. Maybe nikon was trying to save 45 cents?

the 200mm f/4 macro lense has two threaded holes on its foot, and that lense weights about 5 pounds less.

tripod mounting is an after though for nikon.

The fact there is a large market for replacement mounting feet is proof nikon still doesn't know what they're doing.
















Jan 17, 2013 at 03:13 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Zebrabot wrote:
really?

one 1/4x20 thread for holding up a 200mm f/2? It's not even a handle either.

even the chinese can do better than that. Maybe nikon was trying to save 45 cents?

the 200mm f/4 macro lense has two threaded holes on its foot, and that lense weights about 5 pounds less.

tripod mounting is an after though for nikon.

The fact there is a large market for replacement mounting feet is proof nikon still doesn't know what they're doing.



The fact that the vast majority of camera and lens buyers don't even bother using tripods any more, and that of those that do, the vast majority don't bother with the overpriced fashion-accessory brands like Kirk/RRS, suggests otherwise...



Jan 17, 2013 at 05:06 PM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?





The fact that the vast majority of camera and lens buyers don't even bother using tripods any more, and that of those that do, the vast majority don't bother with the overpriced fashion-accessory brands like Kirk/RRS, suggests otherwise...


Really??

Thats not so when I go out. When I go to this spot for Eagles, 95% of the people there have tripods and all the fancy stuff from Kirk, RRS and Wimberley.




Jan 17, 2013 at 06:27 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


molson wrote:
The fact that the vast majority of camera and lens buyers don't even bother using tripods any more, and that of those that do, the vast majority don't bother with the overpriced fashion-accessory brands like Kirk/RRS, suggests otherwise...



if you say so.
I guess RRS will have to move out of their new facility shortly to make up for the losses



Jan 17, 2013 at 08:39 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Zebrabot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


If nikon made cars, you'd have to buy third party upgrade door handles as the crap they include with their expensive telephoto lenses are unsuitable for actual use.






Jan 17, 2013 at 08:54 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Zebrabot wrote:
If nikon made cars, you'd have to buy third party upgrade door handles as the crap they include with their expensive telephoto lenses are unsuitable for actual use.



Hmmm . . . . My 70-200/2.8 AFS VRII tripod collar & foot works just fine for me as does my 80-200/2.8 AFS collar. As I recall my 80-200/2.8D was also just fine. Nikon certainly made/makes some not very good ones by many reports, but not ALL of them are crap . . . .



Jan 17, 2013 at 09:13 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


do you use the AS clamp?


Jan 18, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Danner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


I wish Nikon would provide a factory Arca mount on all the long lenses. It would be a huge plus.

And, call me crazy, but how about Arca grooves on the D800 and D4?



Jan 18, 2013 at 03:32 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


that would then be a commitment to a specific clamping system. that will not happen. they will remain as generic as possible in this situation


Jan 18, 2013 at 03:34 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


Zebrabot wrote:
If nikon made cars, you'd have to buy third party upgrade door handles as the crap they include with their expensive telephoto lenses are unsuitable for actual use.



that is as usual going overboard.

when you buy a car you general get the middle of the road tire for general use unless you are getting a more specialized machine. but then you are really paying for it too.



Jan 18, 2013 at 03:38 AM
Zebrabot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


a 200mm f/2 lense is by no means middle of the road. at $5000 or whatever they cost it would be nice to have as standard a non-bogus tripod foot.

whoever specs out mounting feet for nikon is a complete joke.



Jan 18, 2013 at 07:10 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


your term "bogus" is relative. there would be no discussion if there wasn't a 3rd party option available.

"spec out"- both Nikons and canons mount product is on about the same plane of manufacturing quality overall. same baseline methodology just a somewhat different approach in the mechanics.
Nikons design is usually more modular componentwise, canons more monolithic.

both designs do the job adequately even though you, as an individual, do not feel the same way. in the end you have a choice and its nice to have at least.




Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


jhinkey wrote:
Wow, it better be way better than the Nikon for almost the Nikon price. Is anyone really dissatisfied with the Nikon tripod collar?


If I can get a better design with integrated AS mount from RRS for about the same price, why on earth would I buy the Nikon product instead? At any rate, I'm still not really sure this lens truly needs a collar.



Jan 21, 2013 at 06:47 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Third Party Collar for 70-200 F/4?


A 70-200/4 does not need absolutely a collar for stability, but it makes the setup much more usable for portrait/landscape changes on a tripod. It's a lot quicker than removing the camera and switching positions on the L bracket.

EBH



Jan 21, 2013 at 09:49 PM
1      
2
       3              5       6       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password